Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

ATI/Vortech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2004 | 11:05 AM
|
ATI/Vortech

Sorry for the long post, but this is a big investment....

I have been spending many hours reading previous posts on various forums regarding both the Vortech and the ATI S/C. Quite frankly there is SO MUCH info it is somewhat overwhelming, especially when a lot of the posts tend to contradict each other (when people's opinions or interpretations of info get involved).

Bottom line I have gathered from everything is that no matter which system you get, tuning is a must. I have already contacted an installer/tuner and am about ready to pull the trigger. Right now it is a toss up between the Vortech and ATI. There have been enough successful installs to justify each system. I will be using it on a daily driver, probably never see track time, and have a "modest" goal of 350-375 rwhp.

I am leaning towards ATI as the tuner I am using has more experience with that system (but has also installed Vortech). My main concerns for the ATI are where the air intake is located (lower and more vulnerable to water, etc.) and the NOISE of the unit itself. This is a daily driver after all. I have not heard an ATI in person (I will this weekend) but based on other comments I am a little concerned. Any comments you "experts" may have on S/C noise, or either kit in general, will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

04 G35c DP/Willow, aero, prem, guards......

Old 03-16-2004 | 12:21 PM
Re: ATI/Vortech

ATI uses a very primitive FMU and an inline air filter. Vortech uses the Splitsec box which is laptop tunable. ATI also doesn't have timing retard which is a must for FI.

Old 03-16-2004 | 01:45 PM

Exactly what I thought.

Stay away from ATI, believe me, I have doen a lot of research. Vortech is FAR superior. Much better FMU, a sliptsecond box,e tc, and a MUCH MUCH MUCH better intake air filter.

Don't just do it because your tuner is "familiar" with the ATI. Find a tuner that has done the Vortech. Ask Steve (zimbo) where he got his installed, call them, and get a referral for a tuner/installer in your area. None of these are ready for "out-of-the-box operation". Tuning is a necessity.
Gurgen

Old 03-16-2004 | 11:39 PM

Well, I don't know about the kit for this car. But I installed an ATI kit on a friend's SS camaro, and was going to do the same for mine. But after installing the ATI on his car, I quickly changed my mind. It wasn't an tuning issue or a horsepower issue because got his car dyno tuned anyway . But the build quality was @#@#. I felt like I was installing a kit put together by home depot. Crappy rubber pipes, rough cuts, etc. I was totally put off by ATI on the Camaro, so I wouldn't even consider putting it on my G35. Just giving my 2 cents.

Old 03-17-2004 | 12:06 AM

The Vortech head unit should be much quieter than the ATI at Idle and low RPM. The ATI screams like a warbling banshee,the Vortech SQ trim less so. But some people like the sound, personally I prefer the black marks on the pavement do the talking , not the noise from under the hood.

Old 03-17-2004 | 03:02 AM

i did all the research you are doing, i spoke with a lot of guys, i went to magic racing (the guys that race with ati ; they are aka jic...

after all that, i have a polished vortech kit installed, am using the tuning that came with the kit (piggy back system) i also have on borla headers, labree test pipe/resinators and a borla cat back

i love it

Suicide Kings Racing

Old 03-17-2004 | 09:55 PM

I placed an order for the Vortech S/C last week. Am now anxiously waiting. Just did the Injen exhaust install this afternoon.
I have a little history with ATI (All Talk Inc.)
I built a'97 Chevy truck for the show circuit. Contacted ATI about using my truck as a prototype for install, mind you they were taking "pre" orders at the time but had yet to build even a prototype. After months of hearing any day we'll be ready for your truck I ordered a kit from Whipple. Did the install in a day and a half kit was perfect. I now have 50,000 miles on the install and am still smilin'. eighteen month after installing the Whipple kit, quess who calls???? we're ready Mr. Watts. ATI is a joke as a retail S/C outlet. Proof is in the rush to market with the G35 kit AKA salad shooter.
Well given that its just an opinion.......good luck with your decision process.

210325-IM000162.jpg

Old 03-17-2004 | 10:30 PM
|

Thanks for all of your input. Ordered Vortech system today & install scheduled for mid April. Also installing RT hi-flow cats and stillen cat-back with dyno tuning scheduled with install. I will let you know how I make out!

04 G35c DP/Willow, aero, prem, guards......

Old 03-18-2004 | 10:45 AM

I plan on getting a vortech also how much did it cost you and where did you buy it from if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

Old 03-19-2004 | 10:00 AM

the best deal i found was superchargersonline.com, i bought mine from the last week.

satin 4330 with free shipping.

BS/Graph 6MT Cp
19" GunM TE37 275/30 MPSports
kg/mm,cambers,cuscosways,injen int/exh,Alpine/JL/Stinger,topsecret
Vortech

Old 03-19-2004 | 10:27 AM

Did your kit come with the front mount intercooler? I've noticed with some of the TT kits you have to buy the intercooler separate. When do you plan to install yours tig? Thanks for the info guys.

Old 03-19-2004 | 02:23 PM

yeah it came with a spearco IC, and the split second fuel/timing management system. it should be here next week and installation will start ASAP.

BS/Graph 6MT Cp
19" GunM TE37 275/30 MPSports
kg/mm,cambers,cuscosways,injen int/exh,Alpine/JL/Stinger,topsecret
Vortech

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.