Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

stock bumper ok for intercooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will be closer to Knock if your IAT is high. You only spray Meth on a certain PSI and there are more things to worry about if you ran out of meth. In the summer, I do knock every now and then when the Temp is above 95F+ and even on low boost (1-4psi) with my stock bumper. It really defeat the purpose of having a FMIC if there is no Air to cool it down. I don't think you want to spray meth below 4psi else you'll be out of it rigth away. Meth is also highly corrosive so you don't want a high concentrate of it.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
that's true but people are running FI seups in dubai, yes higher Iat can lead to issues but most can be address with tuning. I am not a tuner so I cannot pretend to go into the reasoning. the reality is people run FI setups all over the world with temps above 100. the question is it WORTH spending the 2 grand on a front mount. I would rather go conservative on a tune and throw in some cams rather than having a custom fmic.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Talk to Andrew (QuadCam). He has the greddy kit with SFR intercooler on his sedan. If you get the greddy tuner kit without the IC and buy the SFR kit you won't be much more than the standard greddy kit.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by terps
that's true but people are running FI seups in dubai, yes higher Iat can lead to issues but most can be address with tuning. I am not a tuner so I cannot pretend to go into the reasoning. the reality is people run FI setups all over the world with temps above 100. the question is it WORTH spending the 2 grand on a front mount. I would rather go conservative on a tune and throw in some cams rather than having a custom fmic.

There are different ways to fix it. Yes you can pull some timing or add more fuel in your tune to help cool down your engine but performance suffer. Bumper doesn't cost $2000, I waited for the right time and got mine $600 installed/painted. Some wanted a sleeper look but not me so $600 is well worth. My DD is much better coz even at part throttle, my IAT is pretty much dead on to the Ambient Temp. (Colder Air is God) Cruising is much better especially when i boost around 1-4psi, I can feel it compared to my Stock bumper. Imagine having a free flowing bumper and combine that with your Water/Meth kit, then you have a great WOT car and also a DD car.

This is not a debate, for some, having an efficient system is a must but some are willing to sacrifice power just to save some $$$, and some will want a Sleeper look. By they way, I'll be installing my Water/Meth kit in a few weeks.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andrew told me that he used the extra pipes from the greddy kit to make the pipes to the SFR dual IC. It took me a little while to figure it out but I was able to do just that. I needed a few extra house couplers and clamps but it works okay so far.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Great!

Andrew's came out very nice so I'm sure yours did too.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FI'ed G
but we are talking about FMIC performance on an OEM stock bumper. As far as I'm concern, your stock bumper is just like any aftermarket bumper that has an opening for better Air Flow.

Edit:
I was going your route but after asking shops here in NYC, the cost is almost close to just getting a used Aftermarket kit. I got my Authentic TP bumper from one of the guy here and only payed $200 and cost me another $400 to paint and repair the damage.
could u pm me pics of your car.. it looks really sleak son.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by nyqueenz
could u pm me pics of your car.. it looks really sleak son.
here..

https://g35driver.com/forums/picture-share/184555-time-update-my-pictures.html

Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
sounds good.... i'll prolly just keep it stock and let u guys know how it works.....

plus 1 on the methanol kit....i'll prolly use that to help aid in the temps and keep it safe

heres a video of another g with a stock 03-4 oem front bumper

Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 PM
this guy also hit 866 with a front bumper that isnt stock but also doesnt give the best air flow and still got great reviews

and

Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by nfo184
sounds good.... i'll prolly just keep it stock and let u guys know how it works.....

plus 1 on the methanol kit....i'll prolly use that to help aid in the temps and keep it safe

heres a video of another g with a stock 03-4 oem front bumper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqfmgwZow28

TN G35 Kit has 2 Fan on the Intercooler to cool it down

I have no comment on the Powerlab kit coz they are all Crazy over there Crazy in a Good way!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
Why shouldn't I be posting? I have a stock front bumper that fits the car better then aftermarket, fits the intercooler better then aftermarket, looks better then aftermarket (subjective), and cost less then aftermarket!

Custom is the only way to go!

The majority of the aftermarket options I've seen look like the designer never even saw the car. The lines don't match and they are way too aggressive for the sleek sexyness that is the G35.
Like you said "Subjective".....your opinion. I have the nismo and it fits just as good as the stock did and some people think it is stock with the black paint added to the intake area. I have the JWT twin Intercooler...so your design would not even be a thought.

Most people would call your bumper design "Rock Magnet". Your bumper is a stock bumper redesign.....so like FI'ed G said....you should not post...because your bumper is not stock double intake. So really..on a second thought....your bumper cannot be considered stock. So by you saying to the OP that you are running ALMOST 500 hp with stock bumper is misleading to say the least.

Last edited by XKR; 02-14-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XKR
Like you said "Subjective".....your opinion. I have the nismo and it fits just as good as the stock did and some people think it is stock with the black paint added to the intake area. I have the JWT twin Intercooler...so your design would not even be a thought.

Most people would call your bumper design "Rock Magnet". Your bumper is a stock bumper redesign.....so like FI'ed G said....you should not post...because your bumper is not stock double intake. So really..on a second thought....your bumper cannot be considered stock. So by you saying to the OP that you are running ALMOST 500 hp with stock bumper is misleading to say the least.
The Nismo bumper will leave the OP with the exact same problems as the stock bumper, though - not enough airflow unless he goes with a custom intercooler and piping. Now if he is willing to go JWT over the Greddy thats a totally different debate. It may be cheaper for him in the long run to go that route.

All the bumpers made for big FMICs are "rock magnets", mine is no better or no worse then any on the market, with the exception that mine flows with the car and the casual observer doesn't know it's been modified.

I never said my stock bumper was stock, I just said I have a stock bumper, which I do.

I really like the look of the JWT behind the stock bumper. If that option has been available years ago when I installed by APS TT kit I might have went that route. Much more subtle but with similar functionality.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
a pull on the dyno is hardly real world. I use the stock bumper and its fine. I wouldnt spend the money on an alky kit unless you had to. Just log some AIT #'s off the UTEC. More people than not run the stock bumper on a vortech setup.

Originally Posted by nfo184
this guy also hit 866 with a front bumper that isnt stock but also doesnt give the best air flow and still got great reviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRo7...eature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytPep...eature=related

Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
The Nismo bumper will leave the OP with the exact same problems as the stock bumper, though - not enough airflow unless he goes with a custom intercooler and piping. Now if he is willing to go JWT over the Greddy thats a totally different debate. It may be cheaper for him in the long run to go that route.

All the bumpers made for big FMICs are "rock magnets", mine is no better or no worse then any on the market, with the exception that mine flows with the car and the casual observer doesn't know it's been modified.

I never said my stock bumper was stock, I just said I have a stock bumper, which I do.

I really like the look of the JWT behind the stock bumper. If that option has been available years ago when I installed by APS TT kit I might have went that route. Much more subtle but with similar functionality.
The OP asked if he should bite the bullet and go with the more expensive JWT kit....and I responded that he should because he also wants to keep his stock bumper....I see no problem with that. I have seen more than a hand full with stock bumper and JWT twin IC's.It gives that sleeper effect.

As far as the "Rock Magnet" statement....Thats not a name I made up.. and correct, it does not only apply to your bumper....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stock bumper ok for intercooler