Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Supercharger questions/concerns (all F/I welcome :D)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supercharger questions/concerns (all F/I welcome :D)

Hello boys and girls..

I'm thinking of going with a Vortech Full Kit. The only problem really is the fact that I have about 42,000 miles on my car and it's been approximately 3-4 years since I've first took it off the lot. So assumption is that I have about 14,000 miles/year.

My concern is... I want to throw a Vortech on and I'm not too sure if it'll be smart considering that I've racked up quite a bit of miles on my car. I'm planning on leaving the block stock as well. It's going to be my daily driver too, so there's really no option in getting "another" daily driver.

What exactly I'm trying to get at is... How many people have had F/I (Vortech preferably) installed as a daily driver, and how many miles are you planning on taking the motor up to?

I'm a pretty conservative driver.. mostly I want to get the power for those "once in a while races). And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't change TOO much if I got it.

Technically what I would like to see here is (PREFERABLY ALL ON A STOCK BLOCK PLS.. HOWEVER ALL OTHER INPUT WOULD BE WELCOME):

1) @ approximately how many miles did you get your kit installed?
2) Approximately how many miles have you had the kit on for, and going?
3) Approximately how many miles to the tank do you run? (Stating % of street vs. fwy)
4) How much more work (for those that have done internals done) have you done to get you to where you're at.

I'm kind of "overly cautious" as far as getting the kit installed because my motor is already so old, and I plan on keeping the motor stock too. I don't want to have to run into major problems later on say... 15,000 miles from now, and have to go wild and crazy with motor work.

Sorry to those that I have bored out of their minds. And thanks to those that have contributed and have taken the time to do so.

-Andrew

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put my on with 49K and have had it that way for a little over 1.5K now. Its a daily driver with no work done to the engine. I get around 250 to the tank and drive the car in stop and go traffic 90% of the time, rarely does it see extended freeway spins.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I have 51k and I'm either getting an STS rear mount or a Vortech...Most likely the STS kit...IMO the safest best is to go with the Vortech...Keep in mind that anything can happen...Be honest with yourself, have you beat on the car a ton in your 49k miles? Do you do lots of clutch dumps and above redline highway pulls? If you have, then its possible you've beat that puppy up pretty good...If you've only done occasional spirited driving (which I certainly do atleast once a day) then you should be fine...

The one thing many will suggest is to have a compression/leak down test done...If everything checks out ok then your good to go...Its not very expensive, my shop charges 1hr labor which is like $75...It'll give you some piece of mind...

Also, the Vortech is much less stress on the engine then a turbo because of the lack of torque the vortech produces...That and full boost is reached at nearly redline...Many people, and I mean this have gone with Vortech or other FI at 50-80k miles...Do a search and I'm sure you'll find people that have installed it at 75k miles and have 20k of driving on it already...

Your probably lots like me...I've had my coupe for 4 years now and have 51k miles...I love the car, but I'm getting bored and used to the power...Its time for me to either up the power or get a new ride...The new ride would cost me 40k (G37 coupe) so I may as well go FI and hope to spend 6-9k for an expected good time for a couple more years...

Gluck...

Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got a friend who had the ATI installed on his car with 70k+ and another who installed the Turbonetics at a little over 51k. It's all about how you take care of your car.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I installed my Greddy TT at over 100,000 km. I am now just over 120,000 km. Stock block, no extra engine work, it is my DD and the car is 6 years old. Having torque down low is nice because you rarely have to go over 1/4 throttle. This will usually discourage any red-light displays of testosterone. I do take it to WOT once in a while, but not enough to expect any trouble in the next 50,000 km. I get exactly 400 km per tank (I used to get 450 km).

Old 04-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I installed my Vortech kit at 76k miles and now have around 86k miles. This is with the upgraded 3.12 pulley (9 psi). The Vortech kit is pretty reliable since the power curve is linear and does not have the torque spike like when full boost hits on a turbo setup. I say do it already!

On a side note, here what I say you get to make things easier for yourself, your car, and your tuner:

-Vortech Tuner Kit (excludes all fuel accesories and piggyback)
-3.12 upgraded pulley (the stock pulley doesn't do this kit justice )
-Deatschworks 550cc or 650 cc injectors
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump
-Utec Engine Management
-Exhaust & high-flow cats or test pipes
-A good tune! (this is the biggest reliability factor)

This will will net you around the high 300whp range. Definitely enough to win a majority of those "once in a while" races! lol

Good luck on your ventures

Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks to everyone for all your input. It's a definite piece of mind knowing that everyone has generally installed their kits on their DD around the same mileage I'm planning on.

Everyone's highly appreciated. THANKS!

Now.. I'm most likely going to consider the Tuner Kit as G35asian had stated.. now it's time to think when I'm actually going to pull the trigger.

Will it be within this month or mid next month. What I want to do is get all my suspension parts first.. BBK following.. then drivetrain.. then I'll think about which kit as far as tuner or stick with the full.

Thanks once again guys!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:50 AM
In all honesty.. I don't do anything crazy.. I've stayed away from drifting for a while since I've wanted to upgrade my clutch/flywheel. I always rev-match and have always since my last car. so things as far as wear and tear shouldn't be too much. I generally don't let people drive my car. and those that have drive exactly as I do.. so I'm not too worried about that one. oil changes when they're do, if not sooner... hrm

whew... when to do, when to do

Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Littering and...
I just dropped my car off at Performance Factory and it's an '06 with 39k miles - I don't feel nervous at all. Just make sure you get a good tune and you'll be fine.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm likely purchasing an STS rear mount turbo tomorrow from CinMotorsports . Now I need to fine someone to do my install and tune ...

My car has 52k miles...I'm a BIT nervous...But you only live once...And I'm tired of sweating out the small things in life...

Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 PM
- Vortech Kit (stock pulley sizes and stuff)
- Installed at 1,000 miles (odometer)
- Current odometer 48,000 miles
- other than the cog belt...flawless.
- daily driver

Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Littering and...
Originally Posted by G35Tuning
I'm likely purchasing an STS rear mount turbo tomorrow from CinMotorsports . Now I need to fine someone to do my install and tune ...

My car has 52k miles...I'm a BIT nervous...But you only live once...And I'm tired of sweating out the small things in life...
Are you in NC?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:39 PM
If my Dad and i wanted to make installing a vortech supercharger on my 05 coupe but we have very little car knowledge, just the basics, but did have someone extremely good to help with problems that come along, would we be able to install, then id have PF tune it? Would it be possible or is it a bit much for us to handle as a summer project?

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Sportcoupe35
- Vortech Kit (stock pulley sizes and stuff)
- Installed at 1,000 miles (odometer)
- Current odometer 48,000 miles
- other than the cog belt...flawless.
- daily driver
Damn dude you did it right away.....at least i waited to hit 10,000 miles with the stillen and i went up till 48,000 miles and switched to the greddy twins.Engine is still rock solid as i did a comp test last month and averaged......lowest was 158psi and highest was 162psi so i am still confident.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sbeck
If my Dad and i wanted to make installing a vortech supercharger on my 05 coupe but we have very little car knowledge, just the basics, but did have someone extremely good to help with problems that come along, would we be able to install, then id have PF tune it? Would it be possible or is it a bit much for us to handle as a summer project?

Thanks.
Go over to www.my350z.com

Search a thread titled "Vortech FAQ"

There you will find EVERY single detail about anything Vortech related...I dont have any experience with the kit...But from those I've talked to it seems that even someone with minimal experience with installs should be able to do things rather easily...Just go slow and be sure to read each direction twice...Find that thread over at 350z.com and I promise you'll feel much more comfortable...You and your father will have a good time doing it...I hope your not too young as thats a good amount of power to be pushing...Be easy with her, and enjoy...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger questions/concerns (all F/I welcome :D)