Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech guys: please help...=(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Vortech guys: please help...=(

alright so after i installed my kit last week, ive run into a few problems.

i made a mistake with the fenderwalls and they got shredded while driving. so i cut them the best i could, and now they are starting to destroy my tires. if it gets worse, it could be a serious safety issue. what can i do about that?

my catch can isnt "catching" any oil. should i try the old steel wool trick?

my bypass valve is getting stuck, randomly. what i mean is this. while driving, it sounds like a diesel, or someone trying to whistle but cant and its very loud and annoying. this started today, and its happened twice. it does go away, and i think the valve is getting stuck. should i take it off and clean it and take it all apart and put it back together? the first time it happened i noticed a small amount of oil. this cant be good. are my seals bad? its very expencive to get those repaired.

also, i have a burning smell after im driving. it smells like hot, and when im stopped at a light after long driving, i see intermittent white smoke. when i open the hood its coming from the back, by the firewall. its not ALOT of smoke, but noticeable by me. its weird, but it could be a few things:

1- when doing injectors, i forgot to clamp a coolant hose and the back insulation by the firewall got soaked. it could be burning off still.
2- oil is getting into the cats and is being burned.
3- oil is burning from somewhere else?
4- ?????
5- exhaust leak

what do i do about all this? its really wearing me out and i shouldnt be having these stupid problems

thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edit** see that you installed yourself..

have u ever considered bringing it to a shop for a little piece of mind?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
The white smoke may due to you running to rich possibly because of your injectors, did you get it tuned? If you didn't you definitely got to have it tune, thats all i know for the injectors part, unless you made a mistake while installing it.

Oil in anything may possibly mean there is a leak somewhere, if i were you i would take it to a shop and have it checked out, I cant know to help off the bat.

Did you tune it yet tho?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 AM
yea it was tuned on friday.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
i made a mistake with the fenderwalls and they got shredded while driving. so i cut them the best i could, and now they are starting to destroy my tires. if it gets worse, it could be a serious safety issue. what can i do about that?
Get new fenderwell liners...they're not expensive at all.

my catch can isnt "catching" any oil. should i try the old steel wool trick?
Make sure it's hooked up correctly. How long has it been installed? You're not going to get a lot of oil immediately after install. Steel wool trick would work...i used a copper pot scrubber.

my bypass valve is getting stuck, randomly. what i mean is this. while driving, it sounds like a diesel, or someone trying to whistle but cant and its very loud and annoying. this started today, and its happened twice. it does go away, and i think the valve is getting stuck. should i take it off and clean it and take it all apart and put it back together? the first time it happened i noticed a small amount of oil. this cant be good. are my seals bad? its very expencive to get those repaired.
Check the threads and make sure there are 6-7 showing. You may have it set somewhere too loose to where it flutters. Check your intercooler piping to see if there is oil in there. Supercharger seals may need replacing.

also, i have a burning smell after im driving. it smells like hot, and when im stopped at a light after long driving, i see intermittent white smoke. when i open the hood its coming from the back, by the firewall. its not ALOT of smoke, but noticeable by me. its weird, but it could be a few things:

1- when doing injectors, i forgot to clamp a coolant hose and the back insulation by the firewall got soaked. it could be burning off still.
2- oil is getting into the cats and is being burned.
3- oil is burning from somewhere else?
4- ?????
5- exhaust leak
Smoke may be oil or something on your exhaust.

what do i do about all this? its really wearing me out and i shouldnt be having these stupid problems
Welcome to the world of FI!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
i think ill drive my car into a tree if those seals are bad.

thats a 370 dollar job.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Who tuned it? If i were you I'd throw in the towel and just take it a reputable shop and pay them to fix it and re tune it if anything...

Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
sounds like you cut alot of corners.. that + FI =

Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
i didnt..

i had it tuned by a reputable shop and tuner.

only thing i did was install it, and you cant really mess that up. i fixed the oil pan leak, and thats the only thing thats been wrong on my part.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you hook up your catch can? Maybe hooked it up wrong way and your getting blow by Or your pcv valve is being retarded?

Are you sure its white smoke, if it is, more than likely your still burning off that coolant rotfl Does it smell like oil? Or kinda "sweet" ?

Do you hear the bypass valve working at all? Maybe you should clean it up anyways since its a used kit.... dun circulate it and see if you hear it a "blow-off" noise. But I would just clean it if I were you.

Since you got it it tuned I really doubt it would be anything else serious, they probably would have caught it during tuning.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I think it is the bi pass valve that is acting up, we will take it off and clean it

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 PM
bypass problem fixed. turns out my vac port was "overloaded" and there wasnt enough pressure, keeping it on 1 spot.

next problem, figure out where the oil is coming from

1- oil feed line
2- oil return line
3- seals (i hope not...)

Old 05-02-2008, 02:39 AM
any updates?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 AM
not until i get my car up on a lift.