Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Oil circulation.. How does it work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oil circulation.. How does it work?

As title states.. how does oil circulation works in our aftermarket turbo kits to the VQ?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
What do you mean? are you asking where in the oil system does the location for the turbo/supercharger oil feed lie in relation to the oil filter, bearing lubrication, cylinder head lube, etc?

I can't find a pick that shows the location of the oil pressure sending unit's location in the lubrication circuit. From its physical location, it seems like it might be before the oil filter. If so, that's not the best location to tap in for an oil feed for your FI unit. IUnfiltered oil going into my turbos.......

You've got me thinking................................I need to look into it. I have a couple extra pans sitting around.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
oil feed line is Tee'd off from the oil sensor to the turbos.. then from the turbos is drained back to the upper oil pan or for some people, the oil spacer.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Yeah we'll be using a spacer but on stock cars WITH turbos they have it set up where oil will flow through the turbo but seeing how our kits are 100% aftermarket. wouldnt a turbo thats lower then the oil pan have a hard time getting back into the pan? O.o no circulating oil = hot temps = nono

I dunno I know how the system works just having a hard time picturing it in my head ._. what pushes the flow? as quadcam mentioned the only place I can think of is tapped right after the filter and drianed into the turbo? O.o if so then it'll work?

lol iono just a random thought and no luck with search so thought i'd make a thread =P

Old 06-06-2008, 06:34 PM
lol... you'll actually blow out the turbo seals if it doesn't drain properly. if it's lower than the pan, you'll need a scavenger pump like the APS ST or the STS turbo kits have.

The turbo inlet needs oil PRESSURE. There is oil pressure from the oil sensor next to the filter. You have to 'T' off of that or get a sandwhich adapter where the oil filter is for the feed. The oil feed line is pressured which is pumped through the bearings in the turbo (inlet) and is drained out by GRAVITY (outlet) back to the oil pan.. in your case.. it has to be pumped back to the oil pan. pain in the a s s huh?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
So you're pumping some unfiltered oil back into the pan huh >.> thats why they tell you to change your oil a lot sooner yea?

So how does the setup look if you're adding an oil cooler? you tap into that same point but you return it to the same return point so it passes through the filter? cant you do that with the turbo them? or like Tap into oil sensor.. goes into turbo.. then back out to cooler then into filter? would something like that work? ._.

So I want to guess theres a lot of APS ST smoking?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
So you're pumping some unfiltered oil back into the pan huh >.> thats why they tell you to change your oil a lot sooner yea?

So how does the setup look if you're adding an oil cooler? you tap into that same point but you return it to the same return point so it passes through the filter? cant you do that with the turbo them? or like Tap into oil sensor.. goes into turbo.. then back out to cooler then into filter? would something like that work? ._.

So I want to guess theres a lot of APS ST smoking?

no matter what, the oil will pass through the filter one way or another.

for an oil cooler, you will need to add a sandwhich (with a thermostat) between the block and the oil filter. The adapter has two ports. The ports are usualy a size -6 or -8an with lines going to and from that sandwhich adapter. Port 1 from the sandwhich adapter goes into the oil cooler then the second line from the oil cooler goes into port 2 of the sandwhich adapter. really easy.

Don't worry about filtration. the oil gets cycled through the whole engine one way or another and will pass by the filter.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by accordfreak

Don't worry about filtration. the oil gets cycled through the whole engine one way or another and will pass by the filter.
I gotta check into that one. since most Fi kits use an adapter at the Oil pressure sensor to create a feed line for the turbo, someone needs to see if the oil pressure sensor location is tapped before or after the filter. if it is before the filter, you will be sending unfiltered oil into your turbo bearing housings!

look at it this way, some small particles/debris are released from the moving engine internals......and this debris makes its way backinto the pan. then, the debris gets sucked up into the oil pump tube, through the pump and pushed right out into your oil feed line to your turbo!

now, before anyone jumps on this, someone needs to figure out the oil pressure sensors positioning in the oil circuit. the service manual doesn;t show it.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
^ lift up your sedan and look, only reason I'm asking is because the kit isnt installed on my car yet lol (and its not with me)

If you just change your oil at every 3k u should be fine

Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 AM
oil feed - 80% of the people tee it off the oil presure sensor.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...highlight=feed

Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
BANNED from 350z forums FTL =(

Old 06-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
banjo bolts are ftw?

My S/C has its own oil supply...

Old 06-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
BANNED from 350z forums FTL =(
you are banned from my350Z? what happened?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Okay.......I thoroughly checked it out!

The oil pressure sensor location is after the oil filter in the whole lubrication circuit....so if you are adding adapters at the OPS location to feed yoru turbo, the oil going to the turbo IS filtered!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by QuadCam
you are banned from my350Z? what happened?
Mentioning certain shops/subjects will get you banned real fast on my350z.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil circulation.. How does it work?