Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Will dealer be able to detect the use of NITROUS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will dealer be able to detect the use of NITROUS?

I am a fool and posted this in the coupe section, i meant to post it here.

I am looking for some extra power for my G but i have some concerns. First and foremost, i am a believer in the whole "if you know what your doing with Nitrous then your engine wont blow up" theory, so i am not concerned with that. At this point in my modding stage i could go in two directions.

1) Crawford plenum, Hi-flow cats, and an exhaust system (to be determined which one at a later point). I already have JWT pop charger and Z tube. Total price comes to about 1500, the same cost as a nos kit.

2) Nitrous oxide (wet system)

Which brings me to my question....I would rather go with option number one but i am scared of warranty issues. Forget the fact that I might have a hard time just getting Infiniti to service the car with those mods on it, i am more worried of something going wrong with the car and them refusing the work and im left with a huge repair bill that i can't pay.

With Nitrous, i am able to attain the power gains i want at a good price but my main concerns with that are:

a) Will dealership be able to detect the use of Nitrous oxide?

b) Can anything be done to remove any traces that the Nitrous might leave in the engine?

c) In theory, will this void my warranty? (i know the answer is probably yes)

c) How easy/hard is it to remove the Nos kit from the car?

Any input anyone might have or any experiences that any of my G brothers or sisters can relate to me would be appriciated. Thanks

Old 04-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Omi
Charter Monkey Florida G35 club
Re: Will dealer be able to detect the use of NITROUS?

go with option #1. The dealers will only give you warranty issues if they can prove that the mod caused the issue. As far as the nitrous goes; I saw a car at the dealership in Tampa with .50 piece size holes in each piston. The mechanic tore apart the entire thing to get there as he was sure that nitrous caused the engine seize, but the owner said "I don't have nitrous in my car". Once they opened the lower engine section, the holes are what they found and through some test (I have no idea what it is), they found the residue and proved that nitrous caused the problem. They voided the guy's warranty on the spot.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how much I can help, but here's some "cloaking" advice...I will say that a dealership will probably void you for nitrous, as it's forced indcution...However, they have to PROVE that nitrous is damaging your engine...But they may be less than pleasant to you, so be prepared for that...When your intake tube is tapped to install the nitrous nozzle make sure the shop installs it as directly underneath the tube as possible (in relation to the extreme top of the tube)...I will assume that you will use a kit that uses braided stainless steel lines (because you should)...Get some of that black plastic corrugated wire wrap and slip that around the nitrous line and cover up as much as possible...Now, that won't fool someone working under the hood if they're working closely with components in that area, but it should help a little...As far as the bottle, remove it and the mounts and that should be good enough...Hopefully you'll have gotten a nitrous gauge, as well as an air'fuel ratio gauge, to monitor use of your forced induction...These you'll need to install somewhere that is as stealth as possible and easy to conceal...You'll have to be creative...That's all I have, as far as advice...Whether or not they can tell when they diagnose your engine remains to be seen, but good luck

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

Old 04-21-2004, 06:41 PM

My dealer is different I guess - when they see a car with cool stuff they crowd around and applaud. I think you need to grease up your service manager better.

Worth

2004.5 Sedan AT DG
Sport/Flaps/Premium/max tint/Bose
NX Nitrous (tuned)
CAI Injen
6 wire ground kit
Custom ECU
Zaino layers=6
next mod: higher jets

Old 04-21-2004, 08:18 PM

Couple of points. Nitrous leaves a different residue on the combustion chambers and there is a chemical teast that can be done. Second, you may have a great Service Manager, but the NNA rep. would be the one called into approve a new engine or rebuild.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:38 PM

He said he was considering a wet system, not a dry system. A wet system doesn't introduce the nitrous oxide gas into the intake tube, does it?

Anyway, he should forget he ever thought of putting an N2O kit on his car unless he is prepared to cover the cost of any needed repair, including a burnt tranny/clutch, damaged pistons/cylinder walls, or even a perforated block! Not to mention all the shrapnel wounds on his face, chest, and groin... Stick with the basic bolt-ons, and he'll fare much better all around.

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System

Old 04-21-2004, 10:52 PM

How is the nitrous going to be introduced into the throttle body unless the intake tube is tapped?

As far as "faring better", I disagree with that...These kits are evolving and becoming more sophisticated...With the proper shot, air/fuel tuning, and most importantly, usage, nitrous is just as safe as any other forced induction system...Someone can destroy their engine stock by any number of foolish driving mistakes or stupidity...Ever seen an engine after an intense over-rev? Don't need to be modded to have that occur...Have your equipment expertly installed, choose the proper, high-quality components, and tune everything correctly and you should be safe as long as you closely monitor your engine and keep up maintenance

Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 PM

Our pal jesterev is on a $1,500 budget. He probably cannot afford to have even one catastrophic engine failure, no matter the cause.

Bolt-ons pose very little threat to the reliability and longivity of a stock engine. Typically, neither professional installation nor expert tuning is required. He can install all this stuff in his own garage with a friend and a few basic tools. He can install these items one at a time, with small, incremental costs. A/F mapping adjustments, ignition timing retard, countless spark plug inspections, fuel pressure measurements, and exhaust gas temp readings are not required in most cases.

As you say, N2O systems are becoming more sophisticated. Their reliability and margin of safety continue to be enhanced by new technologies. But it does not necessarily follow that jesterev has the resources to purchase only top-quality new components, secure only professional installation, and obtain only expert tuning. All these critically important steps require a comparatively HUGE up front cost, more than likely in excess of $1,500. My system, with intake, exhaust, gauges, purge/remote/warmer, ECU tuning and complete professional installation ran about $2,500-$3,000. And if my engine blew, I was prepared to give the car a proper viking funeral...

As you say, N2O systems require ongoing monitoring and maintenance. Failing these, reliability falters. Healthy safety factors may erode to a condition of marginal safety. And then one unfortunate contributing factor later... BOOM!

As you mentioned, even a stock engine can be destroyed. But if that should happen, the repair costs are very likely to be covered by warranty. If an N2O-inspired engine tears itself apart, even off of the juice (!), the dealership can reject a warranty claim. It is all too easy for a dealership to play "pin the blame on the bottle", and you know that, right?

Are N2O systems inherently dangerous? Surely not! But I still unwaveringly suggest jesterev take the more conservative path: Stick with the bolt-ons! Thank you, and good luck.

Stillen SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bullseye on 04/22/04 06:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

He said he was considering a wet system, not a dry system. A wet system doesn't introduce the nitrous oxide gas into the intake tube, does it?

<hr></blockquote>You're thinking of a direct-port system. Both wet and dry systems introduce the N2O in the intake tube. The difference is that dry injects only nitrous, and wet injects both nitrous and additional fuel. A direct port system has the nitrous jets tapped directly into the intake manifold, so you'll have as many jets as you do intake ports.

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/Willow
- Texas Tech Mechanical Engineering - Texas Tech Advanced Vehicle Engineering -

Old 04-23-2004, 01:54 AM

Ah, I totally missed the budget he was working with! LOL

With $1,500 to play with I'd go Z-Tube and Pop-Charger, than a nice exhaust system (there a lot out there and the ones that I like would require custom-fitting, so I won't list one here)...Depending on the exhaust you may be able to grab the Crawford Plenum (not the "bling" version) as well...Nitrous may be a poor idea with the budget, but check into the Edelbrock Victor and Super Victor kits and do some research (but I'm not confident that the budget will work)

PS The "Viking Funeral" comment was priceless

Old 04-23-2004, 10:56 AM

a wet kit is easy to remove if it is injecting into an after market intake - take off the intake and all the nos and you are back to stock.

My shop did do 2 things that REALLY pissed me off:

1. They tapped the fuel line instead of getting the 14 dollar adapter like I asked them to
2. They tapped a metal wall in the engine compartment that I can't revert cause now there is a grommeted metal hole through one of the walls.

If I blow my engine skyhigh Ill just buy a new one and have it built for a twin turbo or something and spend some real $$$

Worth

2004.5 Sedan AT DG
Sport/Flaps/Premium/max tint/Bose
NX Nitrous (tuned)
CAI Injen
6 wire ground kit
Custom ECU
Zaino layers=6
next mod: higher jets

Old 04-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, i think i am going to stay away from NOS for now i think.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:26 PM

Yes, that's right. I *was* thinking about a direct port set-up. Thanks for the reminder.

Stillen SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System