Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Superchargers and engine reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchargers and engine reliability

I am thinking about supercharging my wife's sedan if I can find a kit for the car. I am concerned about doing dammage to the engine and drive train. Procharger and Vortec systems are in the 6-8 PSI boost range,that will be enough.
Has anyone experanced cracked or broken pistons in this boost range? Can the head gaskets hold that pressure? Will the transmission, driveshaft and rear gear be able to handle the power?
I would hate to tear up her new car.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Re: Superchargers and engine reliability

If anyone has information on this request I would love to hear it. Having owned a 300zx twin turbo boosted to 17psi, I wonder how well a motor and drivetrain not initially designed for forced induction would handle the addional stresses that come with the supercharger/turbo setups. Please keep in mind, I am asking for information when these types of applications are used within the specs and boost is not raised up past the recommended settings. Can we expect the same sort of reliability as a NA G35 in the LONG run 100k +?

--
2003.5 G35 S

Old 04-28-2004, 12:40 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

I'm interested in these answers too.

2 G or NOT 2 G, there is no question!

Old 04-28-2004, 01:30 PM

Not sure its possible to answer the durability questions considering there are probably very few (if any?) that have 100k+ miles on the G. Much less a S/C version.

"I'm not saying you're full of BS, per se" - Zimbo

-JustICE

Old 04-28-2004, 02:08 PM

Yes i understand that. But i'm sure that those of you who do have turbo/supercharger setups have asked this question at least once, and received some quality information. I don't know how deep your wallets are, but I certainly can't afford to drop 4k+ on a supercharger only to have problems in the near future and possibly have to rebuild the motor/tranny. I would only kick my self in the *** for doing it in the first place. My wife would probably bust out some steel toes to assist in the beating.

For instance,
Zimbo hopefully you read this thread, what kind of life expectancy are you realisticly expecting out of your G and what have the engineers at Vortech/Stillen/etc communicated along these lines?

If I am able to install a S/C on my 5AT and not have to worry about a engine/tranny rebuild before 100k + i'll be the first one in line to have the work done.

I've known of too many turbo/ s/c setups on civics and integras that don't last more than 10k miles.

Thanks,
Sukhi

--
2003.5 G35 S

Old 04-28-2004, 02:18 PM

Here's a great synopsis.
http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=35

Eagle1 figures it to be 80% of original engine life after a forced induction addition. I think his estimation is conservative and reasonable. If you think you've got a 150,000 mile engine, would you settle for 120,000 miles? I would, as I plan on keeping her about 4 years. By then, something far better will come along and I'll want it.

Problem is I don't have $8k sitting around for a blower....so I'm stuck with a paltry 40 hp .

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 04-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not expecting to keep my car for more than 3-4 years. If I were, I would have waited until the warranty expired to go F/I.

Personally, I think even with a SC (so long as it is properly tuned at all times) the engine will live longer than lots of other aspects of the car.

--Steve

Old 04-28-2004, 02:45 PM

I agree. The engine is the last thing you have to worry about. Having said that, I would definitely worry a tad about my tranny...whether it be a 6mt or 5at. That's alot of HP/torque hitting down there.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 04-28-2004, 02:49 PM

Thanks guys. The article was a good read.

Hopefully a solid kit for the auto will be out soon. I know that another member installed it a few days ago. I'll wait for the results anxiously.

--
2003.5 G35 S

Old 04-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember the auto trannies are definitely safe up to 330 crank hp (M45). so you are looking to go 100 hp past that with a vortech setup.

In order to help the tranny sustain that kinda punishment (heat) you will need a tranny cooler, frequent fluid changes (change filter/pan every 15k and flush all fluid every 30k miles), and a quick shift kit to keep the pressure higher/cooler (more pressure means more flow thru the cooler)

yes it is doable. get some way to monitor your A/F ratio (wideband o2 or EGT guage)

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, HyperGround Kit, Magnaflow resonator.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Engine longevity is a function of your personal driving habits and how well your vehicle is tuned. If a vehicle is tuned properly and not abused, engine life should remain unaffected for the most part, although in general, any power adding modification will increase engine wear. Even a stock vehicle will show signs of premature aging if used under rigorous conditions such as racing and/or towing. Likewise, premature engine failure is a possibility with any vehicle that is not properly tuned and a supercharged vehicle is no exception.

04 6MT Coupe
35% Madico smoke tint /CF Hood /Injen Cat-back

Old 04-30-2004, 04:23 PM

I found a site called carrewiew.com. There is a guy with a G 35 equiped with a Procharger the broke the piston lands after 50 miles. Their system does not have an ignition timing control. The system relies on fuel enrichment only to prevent detionation. NOT GOOD.
Many people on that site have complained about various quality issues with the Procharger. The Vortech seems to have a better reputation. I want an air to air intercooler. I guess Vortech woke up and realized the water cooler is not the best way to transfer heat. Not to mention the complexity and excess weight.