Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Forged Performance: G35 Coupe APS TT, FCON, lots of improvements!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Forged Performance: G35 Coupe APS TT, FCON, lots of improvements!

Paul stopped in a few months back just to some baseline dyno pulls on his already built motor APS TT setup. The previous shop built the motor, and installed the APS TT kit. Although the car never gave him any troubles, it was time for Stage II. :thumbup:

We basically went through the entire car from bumper to bumper, and added and improved everything you can think. The only thing we didn't change, was the physical motor itself. The customers goal was clear: I need this engine to last at least another 1-2 years, and I want the car to remain as quiet and streetable as possbile. And since we didn't perform the original build, we werent going to take any chances.

We added an assortment of modifications to Paul's G35.

Complete FCON EMS Package
CJM Return Fuel System
HKS 1000cc Injectors
BC Stage 2 Camshafts, retainers, and springs (installed without removing the engine)
Forge Upgraded Turbo Actuators
Exedy Twin Disc Carbon Clutch
L19 Head Stud Upgrade (engine and heads remained in car)
Evans NPG+ Waterless Coolant
Stillen Front Bumper and Paint
ATI Crank Pulley
Volk GTV wheels and tires
HKS Hypermax III Street Coilovers
Greddy EvoTT Exhaust
APS 3 inch Downpipe
FP Bottle Neck Removal for EvoTT Exhaust

The end result was a car that was transformed, and showed improvments of 100 Ft/lbs trq through the midrange, and had a night and day different in response. Baseline with the Unichip was 398whp and wimpy midrange and throttle reponse, and by adding just 2psi of boost, we netted 468whp super safely and smoothly, but an incredible reponse and midrange improvement. We both agreed that this was perfect, for a 2 year old motor, that we wanted to last for a little while longer.

One last note. Paul's young daughter is shaping up to be a corporate wizard with Excel Spreadsheets. She is only 14 years old, and cranked out this comprison table, complete with percentage changes and graphs. It's all plug and play, so I can change the data or use it on different cars. I hope she doesnt come asking me for royalties!

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:40 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Very nice

Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Looks like another fine job by Forged.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:50 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
nice work sharif. that excel sheet is definitely pretty handy for a quick comparison.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truth be told, its really kind of surreal to see you car on this forum after a build comes to an end. "Is that really my car, or does it belong to someone else?",... LOL.

This is the "second phase" of my car with more major plans a year or so down the road. I've only had the car back from FP just over a week and I cannot stop driving it, or beating on it. Its completely transformed.

If I had to pick just a few highlights/thanks from the project that I enjoyed the most, I will list them now:

1. Sharif and Sandy. Not only two of the most nicest people you will ever meet, but also ethical to the core. I would not hesitate a moment sending my car back to FP.
2. All of the team at Forged that worked on my car. I think every single one of them had something to do with the project before the finish line was met. I very much appreciate them all and their dedication. My build was by far not the most exotic they have worked on, but they treated it like it was a priority each day.
3. The final parts choice/list. Lots of discussion on this one and that’s good. I had goals going into the project initially and Sharif spent a great amount of time, more than I ever imagined, on helping to pick the parts to not only meet my short term goals, but also my long term goals. Point is, he took the time to help plan it all out.
4. Caesar.
5. Already planning for phase 3,…

- paul

Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Paul! How do you like the Greddy EVO TT?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by BrianlG35C
Congrats Paul! How do you like the Greddy EVO TT?
Thanks Brian. The EVO TT worked out great. yeah its a little louder than my old setup, but I really like the deeper exhaust note. None of my neighbors have complained,... yet

Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToastZ
Thanks Brian. The EVO TT worked out great. yeah its a little louder than my old setup, but I really like the deeper exhaust note. None of my neighbors have complained,... yet
LOL! Good to hear your neighbors are cool. Definitely a deeper tone.

What do you mean you only need your motor to last another 1-2 years? These built motors better last a lot longer than that.

Oh, what boost controller did you go with? HKS EVC?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by BrianlG35C
What do you mean you only need your motor to last another 1-2 years? These built motors better last a lot longer than that.

Oh, what boost controller did you go with? HKS EVC?
The boost controller is an HKS EVC 6. I will be really happy to see this motor last me another 2 years and then freshen it up. Probably not a major build, just new rings, bearings and upgrade the pistons to the latest/better technology. The motor currently has the older style standard arias pistons now.

The compression and leakdown was in the acceptable range, but the motor is starting to show some wear and tear after 2 years of daily abuse. I'm guessing another 2 years and 30K miles and it will be about time. I'll probably up the boost another couple of psi over the next year as well. I tend to always do things in stages, just seems to fit my goals better.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM
very nice

Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Very Nice Build! Congratulations!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Caesar is a spoiled baby, saddest excuse for a guard dog I've ever seen.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Another great job Sharif.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Thanks guys.....I appreciate all the support and feedback.

Paul, thanks again for coming out to VIR for the Time Attack. It was great to finally meet your son, Tyler.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow sick setup~ nice and clean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: G35 Coupe APS TT, FCON, lots of improvements!