Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Stillen G35 Auto Sedan Supercharger - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stillen G35 Auto Sedan Supercharger - Anyone?

Dave,
I'm citing the much thrown around shootout of the different exhausts and making a big assumptive leap that the Fujitsubo is technically comparable to the Nismo.

I have no dyno and hope you won't hold that against me making recos to newbies.

Here's the famous excerpt which I was basing my assertion on. Thanks for keeping me honest and asking for citations.

"All manufacturer's systems Hp and torque numbers were lower than advertised. Not a surprise.

They used two cars in the test. Car 2's baseline HP was about 1.5%-2% stronger. Torque difference was small.

Borla (car 2) = 8.2 Hp - 2.7 ft/lbs torque (peak values)
HP increase from 5500 rpm to 6500 rpm range. Lost HP & torque below 1800 rpm. 60mm pipe. Weighs 52lbs.

5Zigen (car 2) = (-3.4) Hp - .02 ft/lbs torque (peak values) Lost Hp, no real torque gain. Most expensive. Loudest. 58mm pipe. Lightest @ 25lbs.

Injen (car 1) = 7.6 Hp - 5.1 ft/lbs torque (peak values)
Small torque loss at 2800 rpm. Torque gain starts at 3300 rpm. Small Hp increase starts at 3300 rpm, maxing out from 5800 rpm to redline. Major loss in Hp and torque below 2200 rpm. 49lbs.

Nismo (car 1) = 6.3 Hp - 4.5 ft/lbs torque (peak values)
Developed torque and Hp over wide rpm range. Torque increase starting at 3000 rpm. Most HP increase from 4800 rpm to redline. No power losses below 1800 rpm. 54lbs.

Stillen (car 1) = 8.1 Hp - 7.3 ft/lbs torque (peak values)
Hp and torque increase starting around 3000 rpm to redline. Lost a little Hp & torque below 1800 rpm. 60mm pipe. 74lbs - 10 lbs heavier than the stock system."

".....are the best" is of course a subjective statement. My opinion and definition of "best" is a combintion weight advantage (20 pounds is significant relative to a few HP) and the distribution of HP and TQ along the RPM range. Your definition may be different. I understand and I've waffled between Nismo, Borla and Stillen almost once a week.

This week I think Fuji. Next week, who knows? The thrust of my point however, was not to rule something out merely because it has one pipe or two.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 06-04-2004, 01:17 PM

Hi, Catatafish,

Hmm. Does the Fujitsubo for the G35 Sedan have a dual tip? From the searches I've done, it doesn't.

Sorry, I should put my car info in my sig so people know where I'm coming from.

Thanks,
Carlin

Old 06-04-2004, 01:36 PM

I guess I should stop assuming:
1) everyone has a Coupe. I don't know about the Fuji/Sedan combo, sorry.
2) everyone has the same definition as "best" that I do.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:28 PM

Catatafish,

Regarding your statement --

"I guess I should stop assuming:
1) everyone has a Coupe. I don't know about the Fuji/Sedan combo, sorry.
2) everyone has the same definition as "best" that I do."

-- I agree.

I also have a request. If you're going to quote my exhaust shootout notes, please include all the information I originally provided. While on that subject, do you honestly believe the current Fuji exhaust system produces the same horsepower and torque as the Nismo system across the entire rpm range?

DaveO

2003 G35 AT Sedan / DP / Willow / Premium / Sport
350Z Air Duct, Eng Cvr & T-Stat / Stillen CAI / Crawford Plenum
GG 10-Wire Kit / TS ECM / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 06-04-2004, 06:19 PM

DaveO,

Doesn't Fujitsubo make Nismo exhausts? Don't they also make the Nismo verson of the exhaust that fits on the G35C? I can order the Nismo verson for about $2,000 at my local Nissan dealership, or I can get the Fujitsubo for about $1200-ish. The Fujitsubo has a VERY SIMILAR design, the only differences that I can see from pictures is the exhaust tips on the Fuji- are larger, and the exhaust is made for the G35C (not the 350Z with a 6" pipe extension).

Do you have data that would suggest the exhaust is any different?

TIA

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

Old 06-04-2004, 07:26 PM

neffster,

In case you missed something.

I'm not the one who stated the Fujitsubo exhaust makes the most power. I am the one who asked for the documentation that supports that statement.

I'm not the one who eluded that Fujitsubo and Nismo are the same exhaust system. Nor am I inclinded to research the same. I am the one who researched, developed and posted subjective notes from Sport Z Magazine's exhaust shootout article... which did not include a Fujitsubo exhaust system.

Futhermore, if I ever made the mistake of stating xxx mod will provide exactly xx horsepower or xx lb-ft torque, or I'm foolish enough to guarantee xx horsepower from a mod like some have, I would expect to be challenged.

DaveO

Old 06-04-2004, 07:45 PM

Dave,
I will be careful to qualify my opinions more carefully when basing them on your notes. I wasn't aware that was your summary and always assumed they were straight from the mag. I guess that's a compliment to your and your summary/writing style. I request right back at ya that you point me to your original notes and I will be sure and cite them responsibly. I would much rather have the comprehensive summary than a paraphrased or parsed summary. I enjoy giving credit where credit is due.

I'm happy to be challenged when I say anything. I enjoy learning factual and reasoned information. However, this forum is not a publishable journal, it is more akin to a social forum, so how about a small break here, huh? In return I promise to treat what you say (if I'm aware you are the one that said it) more carefully per your request.

Also, I wasn't attempting to say it had "most" power, rather a better choice at an exhaust...in my subjective opinion. Much like you opine things subjectively sometimes, without any factual measurement. I'd hate to think that I have to qualify everything with "IMHO" or "it's a fact and I have proof". And I never said that xxx mod will provide exactly xxx HP. Nor did I guarantee anything. Sorry if my opinion upset you, I seemed to have hit a nerve and I'm certainly not here to upset anyone; rather, learn and share.

I still opine that the exhausts (Nismo and Fuji) are for all intents and purposes, equivalent. It's an opinion I feel is safe, but not factual enough to reclassify it from "opinion" to "fact". You're free to disagree that it is reasonable to think they are equivalent, as neither of us has any real fact to prove or disprove that. I won't begrude you for assuming they're not, and I hope you don't begrude me for assuming they are. Knowing what I do about how generics are marketed differently than brand names for many products, I guess I'm generalizing this concept to Fuji and Nismo. If I ever write an article for publication in a trade journal, it goes without saying I would have been more careful to qualify my words.

And I still opine, based on your summary that I've seen (this could change if and when I see the rest of it) that the Nismo exhaust (therefore the Fuji) is one that I would rather have on my car, due to the weight, HP and TQ diffs across the band.

Fair enough?

Old 06-04-2004, 08:26 PM

Catatafish,

Fair enough.

As Yuishi's original exhaust shootout article suggested, each of us should research, prioritize and decide which system is "right" for us.

Is this Sport Z article the final word on exhaust systems? Of course not! I found it a good starting point. The dyno-charts are very interesting. Peak numbers, brief descriptions and internet sound bites don't begin to tell the whole story.

Peace Brother!

DaveO

Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
DED

So, which one is better IYHO with a Stillen superchager?

I would assume it makes a difference.

As with any other mods to be had and combined with.

From data I have observed, no exhaust will get you a gain. Unless you combine it with other "upgrades".

Like the Stillen SC.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Ok. It's only May. Black cars are hot. In more ways than one.....

Old 06-05-2004, 07:29 AM

Dave,
Thanks. So how about that original analysis you made? I'd love to see it, where can I find it?

DED,
In Eagle1's article, I believe he already had the SC installed, then put on the headers and exhaust, lost 10 HP, then put on the cats and picked up 17/18ish (can't remember for sure). For what that's worth to you. To me it said that all three will give a SC car 18 HP, but the cats are the most restrictive point and the point most sensitive to oscillation/backpressure issues. Either that, or the cats are worth 28 HP, lol.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:30 PM

How much did you spend for the S/C?

Old 06-12-2004, 10:48 AM

The supercharger was $4500.00 US plus the shipping. That was for the S/C only.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stillen has a 3rd party warrenty?!

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 06-20-2004, 05:38 PM

Yes, Stillen offers a warranty from Dell Financial for $260. 36k/3yr warranty on the engine from date of SC purchase.

It is only available up to the Stage 2 SC. The Stage 3's higher boost is not covered.

Carlin