Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by str8dum1
both being centrifugal chargers, with very similar dynos, the only difference would come down to tunes.

vortechs have as much a 70 whp differences with the same pulleys between cars/dynos and shops.
Both are centrifugals but they way the work is different. ATI relies on a smaller impeller that spins faster when Vortech is the oposite. I haven't seen a procharger dyno though it appears you have.

When you say 70whp difference....do you mean the Vortechs tend to make as much as 70whp more than a Procharger in a similar setup?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
no i meant that there are dynos of people with 2.87/32/28 pulleys making in a range of +-70 hp+ between one another. one car makes 450 the other barely makes 370

here's a c2 dyno. correspond that to a vortech with appropaite pulleys and they will almost overlay

Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by str8dum1
no i meant that there are dynos of people with 2.87/32/28 pulleys making in a range of +-70 hp+ between one another. one car makes 450 the other barely makes 370

here's a c2 dyno. correspond that to a vortech with appropaite pulleys and they will almost overlay
Oh, I get it.

Theoretically though....which head unit can flow more? An ATI C2 or a Vortech S or T-trim?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will post a copy of my dynco sheet on Monday when I get my vortech tuned.

mods are 928 motorsports V+ impeller upgrade
928 motorsports boost limiter valve
GTM machined 2.62 serpentine pulley
TurboXS RFL BOV

I'll start an actual thread which will outline all the mods and what I had for baseline power as well as end result power

Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a little bias- but if I wasn't looking for crazy power (and it'd be easy if you changed your mind)

Why not just do a single turbo set up? (not a fail TN kit) and run lower boost -- I guarantee you'll out run the SC guys on the track

Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
I'm a little bias- but if I wasn't looking for crazy power (and it'd be easy if you changed your mind)

Why not just do a single turbo set up? (not a fail TN kit) and run lower boost -- I guarantee you'll out run the SC guys on the track
At the same psi level the turbo will always make more whp/tq vs sc. If I was in FL with no emissions I would have gone turbo too. SC is nice but nothing compared to turbo so the only positive side I can see is the carb legal sticker.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I've thought of single a turbo, maybe running a PT6776RS but I might just go SC just to try something new.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
ProCharger's a joke, it Svcks.....it does work, but not the best SC for the money, don't get it, trust me, I use to be a procharger lover, pffff lol.....

Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
But why though? Do you say this because of there fueling or because of their hardware? Remember, In any case I would just be getting the tunner kit.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I use to have a Procharger....

Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
I use to have a Procharger....
I got that...lol...but why do you think it sucked?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM
not sure what's up with him but he's always been bitter about procharger. GTM got him 350whp which he ditched for a HKS sc. Funny thing is, he probably made the same whp as the procharger but for some reason wanted to pay a lot more to be different.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
I have had the ProCharger for a little over 3 years... I make 350whp on a conservative tune and biult 5AT- owner I bought it from was making 380whp on his 6MT.

Another local ProCharged G is making 520whp on biult internals and 6MT by GT Motorsports.

I'd say the ProCharger coming with no timing control is a thing of the past. Nowadays we all know to get atleast a UTEC to control all the vitals and there are numerous VQ tuners out there who now know the limits of this engine as far as timing and fuel go.

Pros:
-Cog pulleys (when you get it aligned right). You'll only have an issue when you get past the 450ish whp range, after that you'll need to support the bracket with something to keep it from flexing under load.
-Self contained oil- I know Vortech's newest kit has this... but OP may not be looking at that version.
-Noise. They'll know you're coming... a block away. I'm running stock exhaust with test pipes and everyone tells me I need exhaust because all they can hear is "WWWWWSSSSHHHHHHHHHH" when I step on it.
-As a general observation, the ProCharger makes more power out of the box then the Vortech... I believe because it is a larger unit... not because of differences in tuning.

Cons:
-Not as much info out there about the ProCharger. Makes it hard when troubleshooting. Although it seems the guys with ProChargers are pretty knowledgeable because they've been through hell and back with the system and have sorted out every issue known to man.
-The noise. The GF, parents, friends, everyone complains about how loud it is inside and outside the car. You can't sneak away from the wife in the middle of the night that'd for sure.
-ATI's customer service is complete ****. When you call, you won't get help. Best bet is to search about what part you need and order it from somewhere else. Otherwise you're going to get very upset and loud with whoever you talk to over the phone- they are definately not import guys.

PM me if you need anything else. Like I said.. most of us have had our share of problems with the ATI, so while we are few and far between, we can pretty much nail any problem you have with the system.
Great post... where can I find more info on this 500whp Procharged G built by GTM?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Great post... where can I find more info on this 500whp Procharged G built by GTM?
your not, lol.

This was discussed awhile back but never got any dyno sheets and then it went cold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.