Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009 | 09:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Dan_K
Have you considered a Single Turbo like APS? I'd look into that as well. It doesn't cost too much more than a solid Vortech/Procharger setup.
I actually prefer the linear power curve. I won't be tracking my car or anything. I wanted a more fun drive to work in the mornings and something to show off at car shows this summer. If I wanted gobs of torque and power and that neck snapping acceleration I'd definitely go that route. But I'm not looking for that out of this car

Old 04-08-2009 | 11:11 PM
how u figure the 928 blade flows better than the T trim? I might have to consider upgrading to this mod if this is true.

Old 04-08-2009 | 11:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
how u figure the 928 blade flows better than the T trim? I might have to consider upgrading to this mod if this is true.
its got 16 blades and a RPM ceiling of 60,000 compared to the 55,000 of the T trim impeller. So when the T trim is spinning at maximum RPM you still have 5,00RPM left on the 928 impeller. If I'm not mistaken that equates to more CFMs of air, more boost and more power... and all for a fraction of the cost

Old 04-09-2009 | 12:31 AM
|
Originally Posted by Iron-Mike
its got 16 blades and a RPM ceiling of 60,000 compared to the 55,000 of the T trim impeller. So when the T trim is spinning at maximum RPM you still have 5,00RPM left on the 928 impeller. If I'm not mistaken that equates to more CFMs of air, more boost and more power... and all for a fraction of the cost
16 blades don't mean anything without a compressor map. T04B turbo compressor wheels usually have 8 blades and they suck when compared with with 6 blade GT wheels. It doesn't mean you are wrong though, those 16 blades do look like they would be an advantage for low end boost and the fact that it can spin faster will help with high end boost...so it seems that wheel is win win I guess.

Old 04-09-2009 | 01:41 AM
At what rpm will u have to go up to to spin the blower to 60,000 rpm?

Also this is what I found on the 928 motorsport website, "Now your S-Trim Vortech can produce almost the same 1200 CFM as a T-Trim below 50,000 rpm (impeller speed) and more if you spool it up to 60,000!"

So I don't think the 928 blade is better than the T trim bc it states ALMOST the same.

I believe the 928 will only fit the sc blower bc their inlets are 3.5 BUT the T trim has a 3.75 inlet.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 04-09-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2009 | 01:53 AM
WOw, I cant believe how expensive the 928 MS blade cost...500 dollars + shipping??? It's the same price as the si upgrade and should make more boost at redline so I guess it's a good upgrade from the sc trim.

Old 04-09-2009 | 05:59 AM
again, all looks good on paper, but the housing of the SC trim is smaller than a T trim. That could just equate to 5000 more rpms of heated air with no density.

I dont know where 928m is getting their "data" as is sure hasnt been posted anywhere. Once you get a few boost logs, you can easily see how different pulley's will shift that curve.

It will be nice to see you run 6700 rpms with your setup though. better than a T-trim? well if you top 500 hp, then ya. but we'll have to see.

Last edited by str8dum1; 04-09-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2009 | 06:55 AM
Banned
At what rpm will u have to go up to to spin the blower to 60,000 rpm?

Also this is what I found on the 928 motorsport website, "Now your S-Trim Vortech can produce almost the same 1200 CFM as a T-Trim below 50,000 rpm (impeller speed) and more if you spool it up to 60,000!"

So I don't think the 928 blade is better than the T trim bc it states ALMOST the same.

I believe the 928 will only fit the sc blower bc their inlets are 3.5 BUT the T trim has a 3.75 inlet.
The impeller upgrade is only for the SC or Si trim blowers so no it won't fit in the T trim housing

key phrase: "Now your S-Trim Vortech can produce almost the same 1200 CFM as a T-Trim below 50,000 rpm (impeller speed)".

I don't think I'd be at a point where I'd need to be spooling up to 60,000rpm, but its nice to know it will if I so desired.

The purpose in me getting the impeller was to be able to get more air down low in the RPM range and in conjunction with the 2.62 pulley would get it to spool up a little faster than it would with the 3.12 pulley my kit came with. I'm thinking this would bring the boost on a little quicker than it would if I left the kit stock... The overall design of the impeller seems more efficient than the stock impeller setup expecially with the blades reaching all the way to the end of the plate instead of stopping short like the stock impeller does.

I guess the only way to know if it was a worthy buy is to put it on and run it on the dyno and see what she puts down right?

Old 04-09-2009 | 11:04 AM
I never disagreed with u that it wouldnt be better than the stock blower... but u stated earlier that it's also BETTER than the T trim which it's not.

Like str8um1 mentioned, the housing is smaller than the T trim so might just be producing more dense heat at that speed.

Old 04-09-2009 | 11:18 AM
ya too much speculation. I know with my setup and how my impeller speed is related to boost/hp, its not worth losing the top end rpms for .5 psi under 4000 rpms.

at 60000 rpms, that would be ~6700 rpms ( about 600 rpms less than your current redline) with a 2.62/34/30 setup, so more likely than not, you will be spinning to 60k+ rpms. you'd only be able to spin ~6100 without that 928m, so thats a pretty big window you hopefully can add.

it would be awesome to see if that would really be about 18psi if the belts didnt slip.

Old 04-09-2009 | 11:20 AM
Banned
I never disagreed with u that it wouldnt be better than the stock blower... but u stated earlier that it's also BETTER than the T trim which it's not.

Like str8um1 mentioned, the housing is smaller than the T trim so might just be producing more dense heat at that speed.
ok gotcha. yeah it might produce more dense heat, only way to see how its gonna perform is to put it in and dyno it.

I haven't been able to find one other person on the forum that is running this impeller so I had no other data to go off of except whats on the 928 motorsports page.

I figured if I could get T trim performance without the T trim price tag then why not give it a shot

I'll post the results here or in my vortech build thread

Batmobile goes under the knife

Old 04-09-2009 | 11:24 AM
actually the cost of the impeller, boost valve and BOV is more than the upgrade to the T-trim. but we are all glad to finally get some data on that impeller and see how it really stacks up!

Old 04-09-2009 | 11:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by str8dum1
ya too much speculation. I know with my setup and how my impeller speed is related to boost/hp, its not worth losing the top end rpms for .5 psi under 4000 rpms.

at 60000 rpms, that would be ~6700 rpms ( about 600 rpms less than your current redline) with a 2.62/34/30 setup, so more likely than not, you will be spinning to 60k+ rpms. you'd only be able to spin ~6100 without that 928m, so thats a pretty big window you hopefully can add.

it would be awesome to see if that would really be about 18psi if the belts didnt slip.
I'd be running the new impeller, 2.62 pulley and keeping the cog belt pullies the sizes they are stock. I don't make it a habit of redlining my car or getting it higher than like 5700rpm before I shift gears so I wasn't overly concerned with losing top end rpms. I was looking more for low end power and acceleration since that is primarily where I drive the car

I'm loving this back and forth information session though, its clean, nobody is getting mad and I'm finding it beneficial. Thanks alot guys I appreciate it.

I've seen threads like this go terribly wrong with opinions getting voiced and I'm glad this thread hasn't gone in that direction

Old 04-09-2009 | 11:28 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by str8dum1
actually the cost of the impeller, boost valve and BOV is more than the upgrade to the T-trim. but we are all glad to finally get some data on that impeller and see how it really stacks up!
I thought the T trim blower was like 2k+...
I looked on the vortech site and the T trim is listed with a pretty hefty price tag

the boost valve wouldn't be required if I was going to use all the power the kit will be producing. Unfortunately I have to wait until next year for the stroker motor build so for now I have to put a leash on the vortech

the RFL BOV was just me wanting to be different and have a BOV thats loud as hell compared to the jet engine sound of the vortech bypass valve

Old 04-09-2009 | 02:13 PM
I actually prefer the linear power curve. I won't be tracking my car or anything. I wanted a more fun drive to work in the mornings and something to show off at car shows this summer. If I wanted gobs of torque and power and that neck snapping acceleration I'd definitely go that route. But I'm not looking for that out of this car
Ya, you say that now. Just wait...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.