Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Got a Ref Ticket with a Vortech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a Ref Ticket with a Vortech (update)

Yep! The CHP Officer claims he pulled me over, because he heard my BOV. I thought it would be a short conversation once he saw that it was a supercharger, but then he says "BOV are illegal in California" and that I'm messing up the environment. I tell the guy that it's actually a Bypass Valve and it's actually pre-intercooler and pre-engine, so no way. He mentioned my intercooler and I told him it came with the kit. He kept referring to my kit as a turbo, but I kept telling him that it's a Vortech Supercharger AND CARB approved. I told him to follow the piping from the filter and he would see what I was saying. Didn't work. This guy was hell bent on giving me a ticket no matter what I said. I felt myself getting angry, so I just stopped talking. No sense of arguing with the ignorant. He wrote me up for emissions just based off the fact that I have a BPV and a intercooler. I don't mind being pulled over to make sure my kit is legit, but this guy totally had no clue about FI at all. The idiot was totally oblivious to the fact that there are CARB approved FI kits on the market. What pisses me off is that he's writing tickets and is truly ill-informed.

Long story short, I know Sam at GTM can get the car through a smog with some tweaking, but I'm trying to get away with just a visual if possible. I'm trying to find a solution in San Diego and without having to leave my car at GTM. Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited by Deang35c6; 07-20-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 AM
make a aluminum box to cover the vortech charger... kinda like a ARC induction box... then u can say its just an intake hahha

Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cops getting nasty out here in SoCal.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Didn't your kit come with a carb certification? (It should have) If so take that to the ref and have it dismissed.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:39 AM
damn...specially in Diego...they still all over modded cars...

if its carb approve isn't it legal visually?
that sucks! sorry to hear about that ignorant...

let us know what happens...so other CALIheads can get a heads up about this potential problem

Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by silver g
Didn't your kit come with a carb certification? (It should have) If so take that to the ref and have it dismissed.
I downloaded a letter off the Vortech website with the CARB EO number. It list the Vortech kit for the 2003 G35 Coupe and all of its accessories under that CARB number. If I can find a shop that would do just the visual and accept the letter, then I would be happy. We all know that's this is just another way to make money.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
Yep! The CHP Officer claims he pulled me over, because he heard my BOV. I thought it would be a short conversation once he saw that it was a supercharger, but then he says "BOV are illegal in California" and that I'm messing up the environment. I tell the guy that it's actually a Bypass Valve and it's actually pre-intercooler and pre-engine, so no way. He mentioned my intercooler and I told him it came with the kit. He kept referring to my kit as a turbo, but I kept telling him that it's a Vortech Supercharger AND CARB approved. I told him to follow the piping from the filter and he would see what I was saying. Didn't work. This guy was hell bent on giving me a ticket no matter what I said. I felt myself getting angry, so I just stopped talking. No sense of arguing with the ignorant. He wrote me up for emissions just based off the fact that I have a BPV and a intercooler. I don't mind being pulled over to make sure my kit is legit, but this guy totally had no clue about FI at all. The idiot was totally oblivious to the fact that there are CARB approved FI kits on the market. What pisses me off is that he's writing tickets and is truly ill-informed.

Long story short, I know Sam at GTM can get the car through a smog with some tweaking, but I'm trying to get away with just a visual if possible. I'm trying to find a solution in San Diego and without having to leave my car at GTM. Anybody got any ideas?

WTF u cant have BOV or turbos in Cali.. Fuc dat shyt yo.. like its really gonna fix the SMOG prob..

Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
I downloaded a letter off the Vortech website with the CARB EO number. It list the Vortech kit for the 2003 G35 Coupe and all of its accessories under that CARB number. If I can find a shop that would do just the visual and accept the letter, then I would be happy. We all know that's this is just another way to make money.
I would take that letter directly to the ref or judge and have it dismissed. You are abiding by the law and you were wrongly cited.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I think just presenting the CARB EO# would get this thrown out in front of a judge, I would hold off on going to the ref. first.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by urban
I think just presenting the CARB EO# would get this thrown out in front of a judge, I would hold off on going to the ref. first.
You beat me to it

Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM
U can call Vortech and they can send u a carb sticker for the charger

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 06-30-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Or slip the right smog shoppe a few Benjamins under the table and call it a day -- with the economy the way it is you shouldn't have a hard time. Unfortunately in CA, u gotta pay to play.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the Ref Stations are all closed down due to budget issues... Was that misinformation?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sucks to hear bro but that cop really was an a$$. He was gonna give you the ticket no matter what. My Vortech has the CARB stamp right on the charger. If yours doesn't definitely make sure that you get something from Vortech. And cops in Cali are definitely starting to get out of hand. I have now been pulled over more times in the last year than I have ever been pulled over in my life before this last year. Cops are definitely being told to write more tickets. What a joke.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
^^yep....cali sucks man specialy the economy is so bad....they are chery picking yo! anyway, got pulled over once and showed them the carb legal stamp, the cop didnt do anything so he dismissed me. =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a Ref Ticket with a Vortech