Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Gauges - Clean install questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges - Clean install questions

Hey everyone,

I did a bit of searching around (various forums) on different types of gauges and different ways people went about their installs. I've seen alot from completely messy to custom-fabbed and clean.

My question to those of you with various setups is more along the lines of which path to choose to keep the inside of the G clean, classy, and looking stock. Would you suggest:

1) Custom fabbed center clock trim piece accomodating 3-5 gauges

2) A-pillar + custom center clock

3) All digital, on a screen

My current thoughts:

-I have seen very clean installs of type (1), and if I got gauges that matched stock colors I am sure this would look great (thinking autometer nexus, as an example)

-I'm sure I could make an A-pillar look nice but I feel that it slightly degrades the "classy and clean" look I am going for. I see a ton of sweet, fun, boosted cars with the A-pillar gauges but when I see it on the G I think it loses some of the luxury edge for more sport

-I am really interested in (3) but don't know much about the different choices available. Other than HKS CAMP2 and something else made by Zeitronix, what other options are there for seamless monitoring of info on an integrated screen? This would seem like the most obvious choice because I am not adding anything physically to the inside of the car, and could do it at the same time as upgrading my headunit... however, I need to know what choices I have in this area.

I'm hoping to get alot of feedback from members that have experience with different gauge setups. I'm still reading and learning alot about the products available. Thanks

Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I like the OEM look. I went with custom center with 5 AutoMeter Nexus. They are exactly the same colur as the stock gauges when I switch to the amber colour...

Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 PM
HKS Camp 2 FTMFW!!!!

I can't really stand to see gauges. Anyone can look inside the car and see what you have. Yes, some of them look clean, but it's just my opinion and taste not to see anything when you don't need to.

This week, I'll be installing the HKS Camp 2 on the OE navigation screen. That way, when the car is turned off, you see nothing.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^I'll be doing the same^

Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I like the idea of "when looking in the car, seeing nothing." It's originally why A-pillar mounting sort of turned me off- that's usually what one can easily see when someone drives past.

Educate me more on the CAMP2 system. How much functionality am I losing by not running an F-Con series setup as my EMS? I read that the CAMP2 system provides map tweaking for these setups, but only for unlocked maps. This confuses me because I thought that the VPro was locked anyway, which is why I was originally looking into Haltech. (I'm way the middle in the desert of WA)

Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm running a Haltech and Camp 2.
They don't interact with each other but who cares.
Rather leave it like that less troubleshooting if something goes wrong

Here is how it looks on my setup

Analog:

Digital:

Don't mind the dead battery I replaced it next day

Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The Haltech and Camp2 look great, but the idea of looking down into the car to see the gauges makes me feel a little uneasy. A lot can happen in the 2 seconds it takes to look down focus on the gauges and look up again!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by sliderg35
The Haltech and Camp2 look great, but the idea of looking down into the car to see the gauges makes me feel a little uneasy. A lot can happen in the 2 seconds it takes to look down focus on the gauges and look up again!
Interesting point, I'll have to think about that next time I drive around in my G...

Thanks for the pics Glex... without going too far OT, how do you like the Haltech? Did you have anything else before it?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
I got another screen that is more eye level on my cubby so no looking down if I don't have to.

I love the Haltech I had the Utech with the works before and also experimented with the PROEFI.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 AM
The Camp 2 also has an audible warning. When the designated value goes above or below (you choose) and certain value, the numbers change to red and a warning sounds.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
^ I did some more research on the CAMP2.

My next question relates to having the CAMP2 running and listening to music while driving. Basically what I read is that you need to connect just the video from the CAMP2 to your H/U screen and then your ipod connector to the audio portion. (This is assuming you don't have a H/U that can choose separate video and audio sources at the same time).

So my question is, with the above setup you lose the audio from the CAMP2. If I have my NAV screen in my G still, can I connect my CAMP2 to this and use my DD area down below as just my radio/mp3/ipod player? Or does the stock nav not have external inputs?

How are you guy's setups running with music?

**EDIT: As an addendum, I just checked out the A/V forums and it appears that you can use your factory NAV to display other video/audio sources through different aftermarket devices such as the AV Electronics connector or a PAC switch... So then it should be possible to have CAMP2 running up top as video and audio, and additionally my main DD setup down low running my typical music and such? That would be :so: bitchin'!

**EDIT2: 6MTFTW which converter will you be using to get your CAMP2 on the OEM nav screen? Did you install it yet/how'd it go?

Last edited by visibiliti; 07-09-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by sliderg35
I like the OEM look. I went with custom center with 5 AutoMeter Nexus. They are exactly the same colur as the stock gauges when I switch to the amber colour...
I like this setup. I think the full-electronic clusters need some refining.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm using the unit from TVandNav2go.com. The unit is plug and play. I have it installed, but having a couple of minor issues that need to be addressed. I'll be able to give you a full review once those are resolved.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I have all the set ups and the on screen displays are fine but honestly the only thing you will check regularly will be those gauges directly in your line of sight. A pillar really is the best spot. I have Innovate universal gauges in my a pillar and I can assign them to read from any sensor. I ended up putting oil pressure and boost there. Everything else takes a back seat to those two.

My set up is here in my build thread, along with a vid of a-pillar, touchscreen, and widebands in action.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Another option to consider is the GReddy Info Meter Touch, you can buy it and hook it up to the OBDII and it will display speed, water temp, TPS, some others, and you can buy the Optional Adapter to hook up three new sensors, Boost, Oil or Fuel Pressure, Oil or Water Temp, and the Infometer Touch also feature a 0-5 analog input so you can hook up your second Air Fuel For Example or if u dont have air fuel at all you can buy the innovate controller and hook it up to the Infometer Touch, so total of 4 Additional Sensors can be hooked up, but you must have a unit with at least Version 1.04 below this the adapter won`t work, not 100% sure about the analog input if its still avialable while the Optional Sensor Adapter is hooked up but you can ask GReddy to confirm it, you can read more about it here

http://greddy-usa.blogspot.com/2009/...ll-gauges.html

Last edited by NETSHARK; 07-19-2009 at 11:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gauges - Clean install questions