Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

For experienced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER

Or, learn how to work on your car and save a ton of money. That's what I did.

I did my own work and for a reliable no cut corners +600whp it WILL be over $30k.

Here are aproximate costs not all nessacery but highly reccomended.

I would also say do your turbo kit first with a standalone EMS tune it for 400whp while you work on getting the rest of the supporting mods. Do it in stages eg. do the cooling system, then fuel system, drivetrain when everything else is done get your built motor last. I did the opposite I had the JWT 530bb kit and bought a fully built engine then tryed buying all the supporting mods and bigger turbos. It was a HUGE expense all at once.

Here are some rough estimates.

Turbo kit $7000

Stand alone EMS+tune $3000-4000

GTM stage 1 engine with cams $9500 +core $1500

Twin/triple plate clutch/fly wheel $2000-2500

LSD $1500+install

Upgraded axles $1000

Radiator and fans $1500

Pathfinder cooling mod, nismo t-stat $300

oil cooler $400

GTM stage 5 fuel system (pumps, rails,return) $2500

Injectors 800-1000cc $700-900

Exhaust 2.5-3" cat back and high flow cats/test pipes $2000

Big brake kit $5000-$whatever you want to spend

At this level you will probobly want a coswoth intake $1500

also at this point a good water/meth kit $500-800

Gauges and wide band $1000

Coilovers and alighnment adjustment kits $2000

Wheels tires to put the power down $3500-what ever you want to spend

Not to mention installs unless you DIY and its a huge project, I have been working on mine since December its now running but still needs some small things finished up before the final tune I have been very close to parting it out several times if the DIY was done in stages it might be more barable but as I said before I did mine all at once it was painful waiting for parts and other delays. Also lots of little odds ends that add up very quickly, you might find things cheaper but it is a rough idea of the things you need if you build a +600whp car.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 08-05-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can think of so many things in that list that are more in the "want" category than the "need" category. Trust me, I'm one to shun away from big dollar build simply because I can't afford it...lol. If I could, then believe me I'd be the first one to drop $100K on my engine....but I can't....which is why I find 100 different ways to do the same thing with less money.

For 600whp you don't NEED Cams ( well, maybe you do if you want that power on pump gas ), Cosworth intake, Coilovers, Gigantic Brakes, Sick Stand Alones, Exhaust ( cutouts work better and are cheaper ), Uber expensive wheels, whatever I'm missing.

Sure, if I had the money I'd do a setup sicker than most people's...but since I don't I believe in bang for the buck.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 AM
600whp with out suspention and brake upgrades is asking for trouble. You don't need all of the things I listed but whats the point of big power if you can't put it to the ground (axles,LSD, clutch, tires). How long till you hurt something without proper cooling for the kind of heat that much power generates. A stand alone also provides saftey and increased drivability. I didn't buy alot of parts because I had a bunch of money I didn't know what to do with but most things where bought to help keep things alive as long as possible even then there are no gaurentees. Could you do 600whp with a split second box, a block with a hone, forged rods and pistons a 255lph pump and injectors running 90% of thier duty cycle and turbos running at there limit? I am sure it could be done it might even last a few seasons but if your spending that much time and money why not do it right, build it with a safety and reliability factor it might be cheaper in the long run.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I did my own work and for a reliable no cut corners +600whp it WILL be over $30k.

Here are aproximate costs not all nessacery but highly reccomended.

I would also say do your turbo kit first with a standalone EMS tune it for 400whp while you work on getting the rest of the supporting mods. Do it in stages eg. do the cooling system, then fuel system, drivetrain when everything else is done get your built motor last. I did the opposite I had the JWT 530bb kit and bought a fully built engine then tryed buying all the supporting mods and bigger turbos. It was a HUGE expense all at once.

Here are some rough estimates.

Turbo kit $7000

Stand alone EMS+tune $3000-4000

GTM stage 1 engine with cams $9500 +core $1500

Twin/triple plate clutch/fly wheel $2000-2500

LSD $1500+install

Upgraded axles $1000

Radiator and fans $1500

Pathfinder cooling mod, nismo t-stat $300

oil cooler $400

GTM stage 5 fuel system (pumps, rails,return) $2500

Injectors 800-1000cc $700-900

Exhaust 2.5-3" cat back and high flow cats/test pipes $2000

Big brake kit $5000-$whatever you want to spend

At this level you will probobly want a coswoth intake $1500

also at this point a good water/meth kit $500-800

Gauges and wide band $1000

Coilovers and alighnment adjustment kits $2000

Wheels tires to put the power down $3500-what ever you want to spend

Not to mention installs unless you DIY and its a huge project, I have been working on mine since December its now running but still needs some small things finished up before the final tune I have been very close to parting it out several times if the DIY was done in stages it might be more barable but as I said before I did mine all at once it was painful waiting for parts and other delays. Also lots of little odds ends that add up very quickly, you might find things cheaper but it is a rough idea of the things you need if you build a +600whp car.
Some of the prices you have on here are overboard crazy.. u can shop around and get a lot of things cheaper then what u suggest.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I can think of so many things in that list that are more in the "want" category than the "need" category. Trust me, I'm one to shun away from big dollar build simply because I can't afford it...lol. If I could, then believe me I'd be the first one to drop $100K on my engine....but I can't....which is why I find 100 different ways to do the same thing with less money.

For 600whp you don't NEED Cams ( well, maybe you do if you want that power on pump gas ), Cosworth intake, Coilovers, Gigantic Brakes, Sick Stand Alones, Exhaust ( cutouts work better and are cheaper ), Uber expensive wheels, whatever I'm missing.

Sure, if I had the money I'd do a setup sicker than most people's...but since I don't I believe in bang for the buck.
^+1
Truly spoken you can hit 600wrhp a lot cheaper then the above 30k mark. I myself will prob be pretty close to 600wrhp only to be limited by the EMS and injector maximum output. And my parts only roughly equal to about 12-13K and that including my engine rebuild parts. Anything else is in the want category vs needs (BBK,gauges,cams whatever). If I wanted to go well above 700HP my setup will allow for it meaning build wise, however, I would need to go full standalone and bigger injectors.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Wait till you get your 600 whp, then report back! If you can do it under $20k, then post back up.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well theres making 600hp and theres making 600 hp on a DD. strung out injectors and turbos on race gas doesnt count.

If you think you can do it much cheaper, you have never tried to piece a car together yourself. You'll spend hundreds of dollars on stupid AN fitting and hoses alone.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nyqueenz
Some of the prices you have on here are overboard crazy.. u can shop around and get a lot of things cheaper then what u suggest.
One can always shop around, but those prices are pretty close for quality equipment. The only thing that looks significantly higher than what I paid are the brakes. My Wilwood brakes were a little closer to the $3,000 mark, and I think they now can be found for under $3,000. There are cheaper wheels out there too. I haven't found a need to upgrade my radiator fans, and the Koyo radiator (although not the best out there) provides adequate cooling for somewhere around 5 or 6 hundred bucks I think.

Last edited by TTG35forT; 08-07-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by nyqueenz
Thats why i said "ROUGH ESTIMATES" not the cheapest price on the cheapest parts. If you plan for expensive and find it cheaper, great. If you plan for cheap and it ends up being expensive and your budget is shot 3/4 way through the project you could be stuck with a partially built car thats on jack stands in your garage while you are trying to save the money to finish it. ALWAYS estimate high.

Originally Posted by TTG35forT
One can always shop around, but those prices are pretty close for quality equipment. The only thing that looks significantly higher than what I paid are the brakes. My Wilwood brakes were a little closer to the $3,000 mark, and I think they now can be found for under $3,000. There are cheaper wheels out there too. I haven't found a need to upgrade my radiator fans, and the Koyo radiator (although not the best out there) provides adequate cooling for somewhere around 5 or 6 hundred bucks I think.

Thank you for some guys that have done big power builds and know what it costs. It is easy to say it can be done cheaper and just as good, I just went through building my car and I am way over $30k. I will say I buy in most cases higher end parts but I have learned from past builds when you cheap out you usually end up regretting it, I also didn't build for just 600whp I bought more than I needed everywhere so I have room to grow thats the other thing I learned from past builds. By the time you have 300whp you want 400 by the time you are there its 500 it never ends. I started this build wanting 500whp now I think my GT-30s won't be enough i might need a shot of nitrous

I said rough estimates on all parts I never said they were the cheapest but they are mostly realistic for high end parts (not directed at you TTG35forT just in general). My brakes are Wilwoods that were in the same price range as yours.

I haven't upgrade my rad fans yet either, from GTM it looks like its $800-900 with relay and controler(I think my EMS will control it). I have the standard JWT piping and with my PWR rad the fan shrouds are up against the piping, however I do not have cooling problems yet and I have a sleaved motor so the fans might not be required depending on what you use the car for.

I would say don't tell us how cheap you can do it till its done. Not trying to be a dick or start fights with anyone, just trying to inform the OP of my experience. Not everyone can DIY a project like this and not everyone has sweet hook ups on parts. It is expensive to build a RELIABLE 600whp car. If you do, do it cheaper good job post up how you did it and what parts you used and where you got them it will help others out and thats what were all here for.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 08-07-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^+1

This is all very good insight. For those who have not yet done a complete build, the costs can start to snowball once you get started. I always seem to identify new toys I want to throw on...

Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 PM
I've done a few builds before ( other cars, not a G ), some well over 500whp, and none have ever gotten even close to $30K...heck...they were about half as much to be exact and the parts for those cars costs the same as the parts for the G so I just don't see where the difference in money is comming from.

As I said before, GTM's 700hp TURN KEY kit + a fully built engine goes for about $13K...let's add $6K between clutch, axles, radiator, gauges, misc. You have $19K in parts. If you do the labor yourself, as I would then you just spent under $20K for a 600whp bolt on setup ( I say bolt on because everything is pretty much handed to you in a platter, not much piecing together is done which usually will save you even more ). I don't know how much GTM charges to install all of this but I doubt it's $11K.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opps double post

Last edited by Chef-j; 08-08-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Safe to hit 600whp under 20k? Welcome to VQDE motor world

Just do it first, and let us know if you can finish it at 20k.

Keep you mine, there is ton of guys working on their cars and they knows making 600whp with 20k is hard(?) unless you get a all used parts and tune yourself on dyno/street.

I've done a few builds before ( other cars, not a G ), some well over 500whp, and none have ever gotten even close to $30K...heck...they were about half as much to be exact and the parts for those cars costs the same as the parts for the G so I just don't see where the difference in money is comming from.

As I said before, GTM's 700hp TURN KEY kit + a fully built engine goes for about $13K...let's add $6K between clutch, axles, radiator, gauges, misc. You have $19K in parts. If you do the labor yourself, as I would then you just spent under $20K for a 600whp bolt on setup ( I say bolt on because everything is pretty much handed to you in a platter, not much piecing together is done which usually will save you even more ). I don't know how much GTM charges to install all of this but I doubt it's $11K.

Last edited by Chef-j; 08-08-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Chef-j
Safe to hit 600whp under 20k? Welcome to VQDE motor world

Just do it first, and let us know if you can finish it at 20k.

Keep you mine, there is ton of guys working on their cars and they knows making 600whp with 20k is hard(?) unless you get a all used parts and tune yourself on dyno/street.
Again, what exactly did I miss? Is GTM's turn-key kit not safe?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Again, what exactly did I miss? Is GTM's turn-key kit not safe?

I believe 600hp Turn key is for HR model.

To example, just simple TT for DE

Kit 5000
Injectors/fuel pump 1000
Build long block 7000+
Clutch 2000
Brakes 2000 or less
Standalone plus tune 2000+
Rfs 1000
Exhaust system 1000
Gauges xxx
And etc (whatever you wants to add)

That is pretty much 20k plus, I'm sure I missed some stuff as well. Like I said and other members did. Go ahead try. once you make 600 and drive everyday for month and let us know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For experienced