Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Boosting a 5AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Dang, you guys are tempting me...good thing I'm broke, LOL. (not really)

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CDN_G35
Any videos Canadian?
I have some on youtube from autocrossing and one track video. It was my first track day and left the car in D the entire time trying to learn lines and what not, plus the car overheated. My second track day I got really ****ty video but I was much faster and the car did not overheat. I don't have my HKS exhaust anymore so it also doesn't sound like that anymore. I need to make a new video.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Old 08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
SwivelHips, just a heads up: the early 03 sedans shift differently than coupes and late model sedans. The manual mode is more of a top gear selector - that won't change (though I have heard of a firmware update that may address this).

Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
What i am saying is if your just cruising around or on the highway and the trans is left in drive and all of a sudden you want to stomp on it dont do it in drive as the tcm cant downshift the trans fast enough if you are boosted.If you are in mm mode with a v/b upgrade or even without make sure you downshift before you stomp it to avoid the huge torque spike.The torque is what kills the trans and with boosted cars its even harder on the trans....esp with turbos.
Now that I have sticky tires (R888), at least in the higher gears, I can leave it in "D" and my GTM-5AT handles it just fine (quick and firm shifts). I admit, I never floor it in "D" though. Too unpredictable if the trans downshifts twice, then the car turns into a rocket.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 114 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
I have some on youtube from autocrossing and one track video. It was my first track day and left the car in D the entire time trying to learn lines and what not, plus the car overheated. My second track day I got really ****ty video but I was much faster and the car did not overheat. I don't have my HKS exhaust anymore so it also doesn't sound like that anymore. I need to make a new video.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Looks and sounds good. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the car I have and do a bit of body work, upgrade the tranny and get the Turbonetics single turbo kit. I just want 4-450whp and I think it will suffice. Unless I get the mod-bug again.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Canada, eh?

Looks and sounds good. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the car I have and do a bit of body work, upgrade the tranny and get the Turbonetics single turbo kit. I just want 4-450whp and I think it will suffice. Unless I get the mod-bug again.
Thanks. Yeah definitely upgrade the tranny if you are going to get boost. I had my tranny built locally here earlier this year. 400-450 is a lot for the stock motor, I wouldn't go above 400. rcdash is right, I don't floor it in D either..the car is too unpredictable if you do that. With my power level I hook up pretty good in 1st gear with 285 nitto invos on the rear. I stepped up to NT05's for the track and I had zero issues with traction coming out of corners. I just have them for the rear though. Once I get them in the front the car should be on rails

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks. Yeah definitely upgrade the tranny if you are going to get boost. I had my tranny built locally here earlier this year. 400-450 is a lot for the stock motor, I wouldn't go above 400. rcdash is right, I don't floor it in D either..the car is too unpredictable if you do that. With my power level I hook up pretty good in 1st gear with 285 nitto invos on the rear. I stepped up to NT05's for the track and I had zero issues with traction coming out of corners. I just have them for the rear though. Once I get them in the front the car should be on rails
I can't help but notice your name is Canadian, just wondering if you had any work done in Canada and where it might have been. I'm trying to locate a place where they would be able to do the tranny upgrade.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Canada, eh?

I can't help but notice your name is Canadian, just wondering if you had any work done in Canada and where it might have been. I'm trying to locate a place where they would be able to do the tranny upgrade.
I'm actually from Calgary, but I live in Las Vegas and have for the past 9 years. I had all my turbo work done in California, not Canada. Sorry man

Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm actually from Calgary, but I live in Las Vegas and have for the past 9 years. I had all my turbo work done in California, not Canada. Sorry man
Dang, I was hoping you were from Toronto :P Is anyone familiar with the turbonetics single turbo kit?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
There are many threads on it that identify it's weaknesses (particularly over at my350z). It is no longer sold as it has been usurped by the Powerlab kit, which addresses many of the weakness of the prior ST kits.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM
So basically what you're saying its a hunk of junk? lol. What budget minded turbo kit would u guys recommend without sacrificing quality. I'm leaning towards the GReddy TT kit.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Canada, eh?

How much do you have to spend on this project? That is really the key. You can also look at used parts.

Btw you have PM

Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anybody running two tranny coolers? should I buy another one or replace the smaller one I have on the front that is already mounted. I know some guys that are running two. My tranny overheated once and went into limp mode after coming up and down an mountain....I know I need another one since it overheated, obviously the smaller one isn't sufficient I dont have a built tranny but do have the VB upgrade and highstall toque converter. The smaller one in the pic is what I have mounted in front of my intercooler.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Pol...NmQaheLe3eNa40

Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by silkz03
Is anybody running two tranny coolers? should I buy another one or replace the smaller one I have on the front that is already mounted. I know some guys that are running two. My tranny overheated once and went into limp mode after coming up and down an mountain....I know I need another one since it overheated, obviously the smaller one isn't sufficient I dont have a built tranny but do have the VB upgrade and highstall toque converter. The smaller one in the pic is what I have mounted in front of my intercooler.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Pol...NmQaheLe3eNa40
My rec would be get the largest one you can fit in front of the rad.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 PM
+1. You don't want to create too much restriction, but parallel coolers might work well (not in series). I would just get a single large cooler (11 x 11 x 1.5) and get it to fit.

You should change your ATF by the way ASAP. At that temperature (above 300 degF if you went into limp mode), you have very little life left in the ATF.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boosting a 5AT?