Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Boost, boost, boost! Suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boost, boost, boost! Suggestions please!

I suppose I should start this project now. I will eventually be forcing some air into my sedan. I want to do it right, as this is my daily driver. I still want power and dont mind lack of ride comfort. The big three:

Turbo

Twin Screw

Centrifugal

I like all three and know the pros and cons( the ones I know ). I drag race a lot, and do autocross, both which require a lot of mid range power. This is causing me to lean to the Superchargers. Turbos make better MPG when tuned to DD, but that is a minor Pro for me. What I am asking is; What sub-mods will need to start before I finally buy the FI kit. Should I tune now or AFTER I get it, or both?

Also, Which kit do you think would be best from your opinion? I have read multiple threads on FI and all helped a lot. Im kind of at a toss up of which one I want.

The car to which this applies is a 2003 Infiniti g35 sedan 5AT

Last edited by Junkyardspecial; 10-29-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
subscribed. i'd like to know the answers to these questions too

Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Is this going on a manual for automatic?
There is no point to tune the car now if you are going with F/I, just wasting money.
I would compare some dyno graphs of TT set-ups and superchargers to see where most of the gains are in the powerband. Of course tuning will play a role in that, but it will give you an idea. I have always been more partial to turbos vs SC's.
I would also look into STS turbo's. It sounds like you are leaning more on the conservative side, but if I can offer any advise..Dont skimp on the tuning aspect. Your car will last longer, be more reliable and will have a smoother power curve.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
A small twin turbo kit (JWT 530bb) or a twin screw (Stillen) will give you the most low end to mid range torque. Of those two, I would pick the turbo as the power potential of the Stillen is pitiful.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I have a 5AT I will edit that in top post.

I am actually looking for something more aggresive, and I like turbo's better as I used to be a cummins diesel mechanic but superchargers seem to be more likely right now. I Would love TT setup though.

I plan on getting a valve body upgrade, test pipes or Hi flow cats and possibly a Kinetix intake manifold soon.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Theres plenty of help threads for this. Depending on your power goal I would say twin turbo is your best bet for expandability

Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by rcdash
A small twin turbo kit (JWT 530bb) or a twin screw (Stillen) will give you the most low end to mid range torque. Of those two, I would pick the turbo as the power potential of the Stillen is pitiful.

I have been reading about how the Stillen kit is less power for your money, I was planning stage 3 for that if I went that way.

Is STS turbo all that it is cracked up to be?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
In for answers not many threads like this come up. Get a turbonetics turbo kit or a Stillen supercharger they both can make under 400whp.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Now if I go turbo vs S/C what parts should I buy before the FI kit install? I know Kinetix has amazing manifolds for when you go boost so I was planning on one of those.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial
Thanks for the help guys. Now if I go turbo vs S/C what parts should I buy before the FI kit install? I know Kinetix has amazing manifolds for when you go boost so I was planning on one of those.
You need to go ask these questions on my350z.com they have more guys in the FI section they will steer you in the right direction. I would run a Kinetix manifold with a stillen SC

Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
You need to go ask these questions on my350z.com they have more guys in the FI section they will steer you in the right direction. I would run a Kinetix manifold with a stillen SC
Will do! centrifugal Stillen SC you mean?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the Vortech S/C it will give you the best of both worlds as you will be fine with 400 rwhp on your stock block and it will keep the smooth driving for around town and daily driving. But when you get into the boost it is fully powered up and fun.

If you go with UP-Rev tuning you will not need the trans kit as you can use torque mgmt. to achieve the same results.

You will need to do all of the upgrades at the same time.

600 Detch werks injectors
255lph fuel pump
HPX Maf
312 pulley
Tune

As far as intake I feel it is not needed. No one has showen that in the FI set ups that it makes any more HPs.
as you are not scavenging for air it is being force feed.

If you track it you may need a larger intercooler as the stock one could do better.

You could go with Vince at R/T Tuning for the UP-Rev tune Via E-Tunes unless you have someone near you that has experience in this type of tune.

good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by kartkid
Go with the Vortech S/C it will give you the best of both worlds as you will be fine with 400 rwhp on your stock block and it will keep the smooth driving for around town and daily driving. But when you get into the boost it is fully powered up and fun.

If you go with UP-Rev tuning you will not need the trans kit as you can use torque mgmt. to achieve the same results.

You will need to do all of the upgrades at the same time.

600 Detch werks injectors
255lph fuel pump
HPX Maf
312 pulley
Tune

As far as intake I feel it is not needed. No one has showen that in the FI set ups that it makes any more HPs.
as you are not scavenging for air it is being force feed.

If you track it you may need a larger intercooler as the stock one could do better.

You could go with Vince at R/T Tuning for the UP-Rev tune Via E-Tunes unless you have someone near you that has experience in this type of tune.

good luck.
I appreciate this. I was checking the vortech kit out, I have heard it also has a plus side of being easy to install. I found the turbonetics kit that includes a fuel pump ECU reflash and injectors which might be the route I go. It includes all the Mods I need in the kit for a safe build. It produces Up to 450 but Im sure that if I keep that for track days only I can have a tune for 380. I will be calling around to see what what prices I can find.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
+100 on this. This is the winning combinaton, and most can only dream about it.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I had the stillen and loved it! I didnt like that you needed to have a hood for it but other than that it was awesome. I had stg3 and shoulda gone stg4 but ended up selling it for dumb reasons. You can find a used stillen supercharger for cheap! Vortech is real nice also!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost, boost, boost! Suggestions please!