Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit

Hey guys.. I just bought a used Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit, and I want to know what you think of my plans:

1) Used Turbonetics Catless Turbo Kit
2) Upgraded 550cc RC Injectors
3) Turbo XS UTEC
4) Greddy Custom Exhaust for Single Turbo
5) HKS Twin Power Ignition Amplifier
5.5) NKG 1 Step Colder Plugs
6) Lots of heat wrap for all pipes/hoses
7) Walbro 255 Pump/Kit
8) Do I need to replace my gaskets in the kit, or just use the original?
9) Autometer Boost, Wideband and Oil Temp Gauges
10) AEM Oil Pan Spacer Kit For Turbonetics
10) Turbo XS Boost Controller?
11) Oil Cooler Kit?
12) New Synthetic Oil
I havent purchase1, but am considering the MAP sensor, Turbo XS Boost Controller and the MAP Selector for the TurboXS. Boost Controller? Oil Cooler Kit? What do you think?'

Also, I'm not to sure how great/dedicated my tuner is.. any advice... there is no one around other then him.. So I was hoping to go with Turbo XS since it's involved in my kit. But worried he may be a douche. He's the only dyno tuner within a 500 Mile Radius.
I want to know, a)What do you guys think, do I need all these parts.
I thought the MAF sensor was good up til 8psi, but i could be wrong. So should I do the MAP sensor upgrade or not. I dont plan on upgrading the internals or going past 8PSI.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by josh.irvine.6
Hey guys.. I just bought a used Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit, and I want to know what you think of my plans:

1) Used Turbonetics Catless Turbo Kit
2) Upgraded 550cc RC Injectors
3) Turbo XS UTEC
4) Greddy Custom Exhaust for Single Turbo
5) HKS Twin Power Ignition Amplifier
5.5) NKG 1 Step Colder Plugs
6) Lots of heat wrap for all pipes/hoses
7) Walbro 255 Pump/Kit
8) Do I need to replace my gaskets in the kit, or just use the original?
9) Autometer Boost, Wideband and Oil Temp Gauges
10) AEM Oil Pan Spacer Kit For Turbonetics
10) Turbo XS Boost Controller?
11) Oil Cooler Kit?
12) New Synthetic Oil
I havent purchase1, but am considering the MAP sensor, Turbo XS Boost Controller and the MAP Selector for the TurboXS. Boost Controller? Oil Cooler Kit? What do you think?'

Also, I'm not to sure how great/dedicated my tuner is.. any advice... there is no one around other then him.. So I was hoping to go with Turbo XS since it's involved in my kit. But worried he may be a douche. He's the only dyno tuner within a 500 Mile Radius.
I want to know, a)What do you guys think, do I need all these parts.
I thought the MAF sensor was good up til 8psi, but i could be wrong. So should I do the MAP sensor upgrade or not. I dont plan on upgrading the internals or going past 8PSI.
IMO, I would have found a tuner 1st to see his capabilities are before buy any turbo kit., then go from there. where are you located?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
That almost the exact setup I had. It's always recommended that you change gaskets when you take apart any exhaust related component.

The one thing you didn't mention are your AC lines. There is a 99% chance that you WILL burn through them. It cost me aroudn $300 to upgrade my AC lines. I would add that to your list...rather than spending $600 down the road.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by 98intrigue
That almost the exact setup I had. It's always recommended that you change gaskets when you take apart any exhaust related component.

The one thing you didn't mention are your AC lines. There is a 99% chance that you WILL burn through them. It cost me aroudn $300 to upgrade my AC lines. I would add that to your list...rather than spending $600 down the road.
Yes, I meant to have that on the list as well. TN has a 'replacement a/c line' that costs about 130, which just seems to be a very beefed up line. I was planning on getting this as well. Or are there more then the one line i should replace aside from heat wrapping everything else?

Also, is the oil cooler necessary? And as for the turboxs boost controller, do I need this? As the guy who sold me the kit just had the base TN kit, with the UTEC, without the MAP sensor, Map Selector, and boost solenoid. He was running off the MAF at 8PSI.. I actuallly don't even know what the point of the boost solenoid is. I have the external wastegate and bov, whats the solenoid for?

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
IMO, I would have found a tuner 1st to see his capabilities are before buy any turbo kit., then go from there. where are you located?
True enough. But, I wanted the kit. So now I have to work around the fact that I have the kit, and need to find a good tuning option. I'm located in Canada, just across the Maine border. There is only 1 dyno tuner

Do you guys think I should drop the UTEC and just go with an Osirus/UpRev tune? Without the dyno at first.. then take the software to my one dyno tuner and get him to do a tune on the dyno?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by josh.irvine.6
As the guy who sold me the kit just had the base TN kit, with the UTEC, without the MAP sensor, Map Selector, and boost solenoid. He was running off the MAF at 8PSI.. I actuallly don't even know what the point of the boost solenoid is. I have the external wastegate and bov, whats the solenoid for?

True enough. But, I wanted the kit. So now I have to work around the fact that I have the kit, and need to find a good tuning option. I'm located in Canada, just across the Maine border. There is only 1 dyno tuner

Do you guys think I should drop the UTEC and just go with an Osirus/UpRev tune? Without the dyno at first.. then take the software to my one dyno tuner and get him to do a tune on the dyno?
The first statement doesn't make any sense... So he's running MAF Pulldown on his turbo with Utec? That is a bad idea!!! The only safe way to run Utec with FI is using speed density. He cant have both so if he's running 8psi using his MAF then he's using MAF pulldown. If He's using Speed Density with Utec but only use MAF below 8psi then that means motor boom because it mean he's using ECU timing below 8psi.

Now on your Osiris question, first is your shop an uprev dealer? If he's not then he may have not have the tool/license to tune the Osiris.

Stop making assumption, talk to your tuner and see what he prefer because that is your only choice!! You dont want him to tune something that he has no knowledge about. If he say he has experience in Utec then go with Utec, if he say Osiris then go with Osiris. If he knows both then ask him which one he prefer. My vote is Utec because it offer more safety feature like fuel base overboost cutoff, active knock control and you can also control boost.

If you want drivability then Osiris is your choice but if you want extra protection for your motor then Utec is the choice.

Edit:
The BCS (boost control solenoid) will allow Utec to control your boost. There is boost table in utec where you can set the Duty Cycle and that will give you control on how much boost you want to run with a flip of a switch. Utec Hold 5 maps so you can have 5 different tune with 5 different boost settings...

Last edited by FI'ed G; 01-13-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
research research. Impulsive decision making with FI = boom or much headaches! you're limited to that one tuner, who you don't even trust from the sound of it. Who are you going to turn to for troubleshoot, because things WILL go wrong. Tuner is the biggest piece of the FI equations, and you seem to be missing that..you can't by enough parts and safety measure to compensate a knowledgeable tuner. Your wants/needs must be attainable by the resources that can provide it to you. goodluck!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A/c line

[QUOTE=josh.irvine.6;5566210]Yes, I meant to have that on the list as well. TN has a 'replacement a/c line' that costs about 130, which just seems to be a very beefed up line. I was planning on getting this as well. Or are there more then the one line i should replace aside from heat wrapping everything else?

----where did you end up getting the A/C lines? Can you post the website thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
treadstoneperformance.com has the a/c relocation lines its $170