Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

The Youngest G35TT Driver? Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Youngest G35TT Driver? Build Thread

Now before anyone says my parents must have given me all this money or paid for EVERYTHING, I bought this kit used and I will be trying to spend my money as smartly as possible. I am active-duty Navy and this all started on my 2011 deployment in January.

Sadly, I didn't know I was going F/I until I saw eckoultd87's turbo kit for sale. For that price I just HAD to get it and jump into the F/I world ALOT sooner than expected.

So lets go over what I had already done to the car and bought for it thinking I was going N/A.

First off, I needed clear corners, so I picked those up. Then me being the 20 year old that I am, I needed rims and tint. I had to look awesome

For the tint, its 5% on the Rear window and corner rears. and 20% on the driver/passenger window

I picked up some 18x8/18x9.5 Konig Lightning II's for around $900 bucks then another $600 for Kuhmo Ecsta's 225/35/18 x 235/45/18 respectively.

I went with the NISMO Cold Air Intake after doing TONS of research and decided it was the best to go with for me especially due to the fact it ACTUALLY shows gains. I picked it up for about $325 dollars and it took over a month to come in.

Next was the exhaust. I got a replica HKS Tru-Dual Hi-Power exhaust the XO2 I think its called for like $550.

Along with the cat back I purchased some Megan Racing Test Pipes for $200 and Megan Racing Headers for $250.

I had the exhaust installed, minus the headers because they took FOREVER to get to me and the rims, clear corners and tint were done. My wife sent me sound clips of the exhaust and it sounded AWESOME, I loved it.

For the interior, I installed a Pioneer DD Head Unit with the JDM DD Kit and PAC steering wheel control. A JL 10W6V2 was put into a Custom sub enclosure with a 500/1 JL amp and bass controller.

I was sitting at work in the North Arabian Sea launching jets at terrorists like we all do, when I came across Eckoultd87 posting a turbo kit for sale, I saw it included the Kit/EMS/Fuel for only $6500 dollars. I made a few sarcastic posts wishing him good luck on the sale and left the post alone for about a month.

About a month later, I realized I had plenty of money to get his kit after we sold my wife's mustang. She is all for me doing things to my cars as she absolutely loves them, I also have a 240 that we are going to be building for her.

So I message Ecko and get him the money, he sends us the kit. Now, I have to find an installer. As I said, I went F/I, wayyy sooner than intended so alot of the research wasn't done properly and I will be the first to admit it. However, I have built turbo'd 240's and Jetta's but they are NOTHING like a G35.

So I find CityMunky in Virginia and he said he can install it for me. He had some issues of his own to deal with so he was parting out his car and didn't have time to get my car in to work on it. Finally around June 25th? I think it was, He said he can start work on the car. So I get my wife a rental, Nissan Versa (The four door) and she dropped the car off with Munky. He has been working on the car for a little over a week and is almost finished with the install.

During the install process, my wife also had my GReddy Gracer kit painted Desert Platinum to match my car and will be installed shortly after I get the car back. Along with my black projector headlights.

A few issues I have ran into so far are

1) Tires aren't wide enough for traction only 9.5 inches. I need 10.5/11 wide.
2) Exhaust is only 2.5" with TP, So I need 3" dual with 3" downpipe
3) I had a NISMO cold air intake that was now useless. Sold for $100 cheaper than I bought it!
4) Have megan racing headers i never even installed! Still for sale $200
5) No wideband sensor/gauge came with the kit, so I will need to purchase that
6) front passenger side lower control arm is bad! Munky noticed it during the install.
7) JTran Studio never took the 255 fuel pump off Ecko's car and now Ecko has sold his car so I bought Munky's 255 fuel pump for $80.

For everything that is going into this build.

GREDDY TWIN TURBO KIT w/20G's
UTEC eManage
Walboro 255lph Fuel Pump
Precision Turbo Injectors 650cc
Turbo XS External Map Sensor
Turbo XS Remote Map Selector
Imperial Defi Gauges (Boost/WaterTemp/OilPressure)w/Control Unit
Water Temp Adapter for sensor
Greddy Turbo Timer
HKS Blow Off Valve
Greddy Breather tank
XO2 2.5" Cat Back exhaust with Ti Tips and Megan Racing Test Pipes
Stock Internals

Tune on the UTEC was already completed by JTran studios and due to the stock internals and the 650cc injectors that Eckoultd87 ran, a retune is not necessary at this point, although it will be retuned once I get my 3" exhaust, built internals and either full Haltech or Osiris EMS.

I will update with pictures when I get a chance and I hope some younger G35 owners or older ones alike, learn from my mistakes, as I am sure I will make quite a few being so young and with very little time or knowledge into the G35. Especially the F/I. So expect this BUILD thread to turn into a REBUILD thread eventually

Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Welcome to the world of boost but i would def have the tune redone as like said all engines are a bit different.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a 2.5" exhaust will support about about 500 hp with minimal back pressure
I'd spend money where you need it first

builds like this need a goal... for instance max hp or med hp and daily driver

I didnt see anything about an intercooler... plan on about 12 sq in per 100 hp as a rule of thumb for air/air and about 1/4 that size for air/water - anything over 7.5 psig of boost on these high compression engines will need one.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Props to you.. Greddy is a fine kit if i do say soo myself.. good luck on your progress..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by nyqueenz
Props to you.. Greddy is a fine kit if i do say soo myself.. good luck on your progress..
BTW was you deplyed on the USS Carl Vinson?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
those megan test pipes probably won't last long lol

Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Your wheels arent really too narrow but you run tires that are skinnier than factory put some quality(the kumos should be good) 265 or 275mm on it will make a huge difference. i would try that before i went out and bought nw wheels unless you really want new ones?

I have made well over 600whp with a 2.5" exhaust it will not be a restricting factor until you get a built engine.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Welcome to the world of boost but i would def have the tune redone as like said all engines are a bit different.
Oh definantly a retune. I am moving to Arizona at the beginning of next year so that is when I will get my full Haltech and tune. But for now, I am making sure I keep enough money in the bank for when this motor pops. And the closest Dyno is like 5 hours away and my G is my DD.

Originally Posted by ge35es
a 2.5" exhaust will support about about 500 hp with minimal back pressure
I'd spend money where you need it first

builds like this need a goal... for instance max hp or med hp and daily driver

I didnt see anything about an intercooler... plan on about 12 sq in per 100 hp as a rule of thumb for air/air and about 1/4 that size for air/water - anything over 7.5 psig of boost on these high compression engines will need one.
Exhaust really isnt a big worry of mine, but I just noted it in there so people would know that i DO plan on a new exhaust.

And I am not sure the EXACT size of the GReddy intercooler but it is the upgraded one, I will post the size when I find out from the installer, I am deployed so I havent even SEEN the kit in person yet.

Thanks man, I went with the GReddy because I have always trusted them with all my other cars and havent been disappointed yet.

BTW was you deplyed on the USS Carl Vinson?
Nope, Enterprise.

Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
Your wheels arent really too narrow but you run tires that are skinnier than factory put some quality(the kumos should be good) 265 or 275mm on it will make a huge difference. i would try that before i went out and bought nw wheels unless you really want new ones?

I have made well over 600whp with a 2.5" exhaust it will not be a restricting factor until you get a built engine.
I bought the tires before I knew I was going F/I and I just wanted a real low pro tire for looks, I have winter tires too so I wasnt too worried about the thickness. But after going F/I, I will definantly need to get knew tires, and now that you say that, I thank you because I was looking at dropping 2 grand on 20x9/20X11. So 2 new tires is way cheaper and I love my wheels I have right now, they look real clean.

The exhaust is a thing that I will keep for a while, but a downpipe is a must because as someone above already stated, those megan tp's wont last long and I don't expect them to.

The new exhaust will come when I pop my motor and do the full rebuild of the engine.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM me when you get tired of 400whp and need a fuel system to push it past that, my twin pump setup is for sale

Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Big E? I thought she would be a Manmade reef by now. Kidding man- the name is one of the most formidable in the navy.

Anyway not to thread jack but I've known big e since she had the beehive- not looking bad in top gun either

Sounds like you're kind of expecting the engine to burst with your current setup on a dd. I got into a similar- ish situation with my island car and a tuner that was in theory 5 hours away with ferry and border and a bunch of other stuff. So when your engine craters on the dyno while you're 5 hours from home with a bunch of- from what I can see- crappy and / or replica parts... Then what?

You know a lot more about cars than I do... But really?

Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Big E? I thought she would be a Manmade reef by now. Kidding man- the name is one of the most formidable in the navy.

Anyway not to thread jack but I've known big e since she had the beehive- not looking bad in top gun either

Sounds like you're kind of expecting the engine to burst with your current setup on a dd. I got into a similar- ish situation with my island car and a tuner that was in theory 5 hours away with ferry and border and a bunch of other stuff. So when your engine craters on the dyno while you're 5 hours from home with a bunch of- from what I can see- crappy and / or replica parts... Then what?

LMAO.. you just gave away your Age.. that was like in the 1970s-80s.. beehive..lol

I was station on two ships back in my Navy days.. the USS Bonhome Richard/ precom and USS Carl Vinson back when home port was Bremerton WA.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN

Lol yeah this ship definantly shows her age!!! Terrible ship now, may have been the greatest in the navy at one point, but damn, its lost alot of that touch lol.

I am definantly expecting it to burst, when I dyno it. But I am not dyno'ing it until I move to Arizona, where I have 2 trucks and my 240 will be running steady again. So I will have access to 3 vehicles and the G35 will turn into my big Build project.

I am going to run low boost until I am in Arizona. The exhaust and test pipes will be replaced before my dyno tune with 3" cat back and 3" down pipes. The internals are all stock and I am expecting them with just rolling over 100K to pop eventually and I will push it on the dyno until it does pop, because I am rebuilding it anyway and I might as well have a little fun while I do it.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 AM
So a little more issues with the Install.

Turns out my Installer was ready to get to work on the turbo manifolds and realized the Turbo Gaskets were missing. So he reinventoried the whole kit and found out I am missing a few more pieces. So now I am trying to find these parts, but I cannot find them.

Airflow Meter Adapter {The Stock MAF is still used, & this is what is attached to}
Check Valve { Allows the Brake booster only to see Vacuum not Boost, Nissan Part}
Radiator Reserve tank Bracket { Is used to mount the tank}
Turbo Gasket x2
Thermo Cloth
M10x35 Studs, how many studs are needed??
M20x P1.5 Center bolt for the Oil Adapter

My wifes rental runs out on friday and I cant find any of these parts. So i am going to have to extend the rental :/ Any suggestion on where to find these parts?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 AM
XKR
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Call Sharif or Ryan @ Forged Performance....they have a lot of hard to find parts.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by XKR
Call Sharif or Ryan @ Forged Performance....they have a lot of hard to find parts.
Do they have an email? I am deployed and cant call out on a phone very easily.
I know they are a vendor on here, so i will check them out. THANK YOU!

Also, I purchased the Oil Cooler Adapter and thermo wrap. Also, got a new control arm and cabin filter .

So a few more pieces and it should be good to go. I wouldnt think turbo gaskets would be hard to find, but apparently they are

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Youngest G35TT Driver? Build Thread