Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxknuckles
THANKS! learn something new every day. Is the turbo looking one cheaper? or there is really know difference.

I am only look at FI, I am as built as you can be n/a without dropping the engine out and messing with internals. I want to hit 300 whp, at 260 right now. BUT JESUS 5k+ for what I hear is a un reliable at times FI setup. I just want a mini s/c or turbo to get me there that wont blow my engine and wont be high maintinence, and cost under 4k

in a perfect world! right
There's actually a thread floating around that hits the pros and cons of each supercharger kit. Id' never own a Stillen, that's for sure.

IMO blowers are easier to deal with because it's all up front for you to tinker with, no manifolds, turbos tucked way up under the block etc, and Prochargers are really easy because they're self contained as far as oil goes so no oil lines or tapping oil pans etc. A lot of people don't like them because they're noisy and there have been some folks that had trouble tuning them, but the guy I got the kit from had it tuned at a higher altitude, same bolton's as me and only 440cc injectors and put down 415 whp.

Turbo's will typically give you more power, however I just had a friend pushing about 9psi on his Vortech just put down 454whp about two months ago, full bolt ons and Osiris tune. Personally, I'm aiming for 400whp after it's all said and done. Anything on top of that is pleasant icing for me. And if I only hit 300-350 initially while I work out kinks, I'm fine with that. But 400whp+ is the goal when it's all tweaked and tuned.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry to thread jack guys but I wanted to give Max some info.

Check out this link. It will get you started.
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...for-noobs.html

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM

not thread jacking at all... it's a good thread, I went through it when it was first created several years ago and enjoy seeing it get updated.

Anyway, official numbers. I'll post the dyno sheet later and maybe a run or two. Not that it's of any fascination.

402whp
324 ft/lb tq

SOOOO much fun to drive now. I realize no where near as fast as 80% of the cars in the FI forum, but this is exactly what I wanted. Good power, safe tune that should let me have fun with the car and not break stuff (fingers crossed on that) and it's such a smooth, consistent power curve that it just builds and builds and builds very evenly.

Major props to Z1 Motorsports for spending the time on the car and getting it where I wanted it. I have no doubt that without these guys I would not be here right now with these numbers and a big @ss smile on my face.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Last edited by ibelonginprison; 05-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
so jelly! love the stance to

Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
Nice I plan on going Vortech myself in the future. What were your numbers before the SC?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dsskyline
Nice I plan on going Vortech myself in the future. What were your numbers before the SC?
I honestly hadn't had it dyno'd in quite a while before that. It was something like 250ish and I don't even remember the tq. Stock I think I put down 238whp about 5-6 years ago.

I have a friend with the vortech (well, I have more than one actually, but one that I want to mention). Only thing he has up on me are longtube headers (and of course he needed to upgrade to the Uprev MAF), he just put down 454whp on the same dyno and same boost, about two months ago.

Vortech's aren't a bad way to go. I just really liked the ProChargers ease of install, self contained oil and of course the sound. lol If you get the belts configured in the "sweet spot" on the pulleys, most people don't have any more or less issues with the prochargers over any other blower. But it is a PITA to get it set just right. I won't lie about that.

I can also tell you this, the two times I've called ProCharger I've had some of the best customer service I've ever had in the aftermarket world. I don't know if I just got lucky or not, but the folks I dealt with took REALLY good care of me.

On top of that, I can't say enough good things about the guys at Z1 Motorsports (www.z1motorsports.com) they're a fantastic company and they went so far above and beyond to not only help me, but calm my fears when I panicked on a few issues. LOL As a general statement, I hate performance shops. They are usually so shady. But Z1 has been a dream to deal with over the past year. I'm not the only one that has had that experience with them either, so... I'm pretty proud to have a shop like them here in the south.

Last edited by ibelonginprison; 05-07-2012 at 03:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z1Motorsports (05-29-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Did your friend have a V2 or V3 vortech kit?

I just installed Z1's alum Driveshaft in my car you should look into getting one. Weighs 15lbs compared to 31lbs stock.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Did your friend have a V2 or V3 vortech kit?

I just installed Z1's alum Driveshaft in my car you should look into getting one. Weighs 15lbs compared to 31lbs stock.
^^ excellent question. I'll ask him.

Yeah, Z1 had a couple driveshafts laying in their lobby when I was there. Thankfully John didn't try to pawn one off on me............. yet. LOL They have one in Shanna's car, but I tried not to ask about it. haha

Supposedly it's about the same rotational mass reduction as a nice flywheel as far as what you notice when driving. But I have no practical experience with it. I barely noticed my jwt flywheel cause I've always had light ones. lol

Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Did your friend have a V2 or V3 vortech kit?.
V2, to answer your question.

John Parham at Z1 Motorsports knows his stuff when it comes to tuning. I'm sure he could have easily eeked a couple more hp out of mine, but I asked him to just hit 400whp, and make it safesafesafe.

I'm hitting ZDayZ next week, and last thing I need is issues on the Dragon or Skyway. LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Great numbers, congrats! Enjoy the boost.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
^what he said! Congrats!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 AM

ah, finally got the video to embed. I'm on so many different forums because of running the ZDayZ profile it's hard to remember the trick to each one. LOL

Then here's the dyno sheet.... or, a picture of it anyway. Again, not that it's of any more interest than any other dyno sheet posted. But for prosperity's sake....

Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Solid numbers on a nice, solid build. They should all be like this!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice, I want a procharger too just cause of the oiling system. When I was turbo'd my oil temps were crazy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins