Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins

Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins

OK, figured since I'll be reading and reading and reading and troubleshooting and reading and searching in here probably for the rest of my life now... that I might as well post up and introduce myself. My name is Todd. Been a G owner for about 5 years, been a part of Driver for quite a while but usually stay hidden these days, I've owned a couple turbo cars in a previous life (Conquest TSI, and a turbo Prelude) but this is my first blower, and first boosted VQ. May God have mercy upon me.

Anyway, nothing crazy with my setup. Procharger, 9lb pulley, zeixtronix gauges, Kinetix SSV plenum, Deatchwerks 600cc injectors, getting it Orisis tuned over at Z1 in two weeks so I have the belt back off of it for now.

Figured I'd share the first crank up! Considering I installed it with zero instructions by myself over the weekend I really halfway expected it to shred the belts and throw them at me. LOL guess we'll figure out over the next week or two if I did it right. ha

EDIT: since this whole thing is a "journey" I'll just keep updating this thread. Had a good first 2,000 miles! Then...... forced induction reality hits. *le sigh* Page 3 the fun starts.

Last edited by ibelonginprison; 05-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice job and good luck.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work with out the install manual. I read that thing cover to cover several times over during my install. Enjoy!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM

^^ thanks! It wasn't too terribly difficult looking back, but it also wasn't the easiest thing to bolt up. I was nervous as hell when I started. ha
I finally called Procharger end of last week and ordered the official "G35" piping from the intercooler to the MAF. The kit I had was for a 350z and I made it work, but I had a feeling it wasn't quiiiiiiite right. And I was correct, there are two pipes instead of the single long 350z pipe.

FYI - the Procharger guys on the phone are as helpful as anyone I've ever dealt with. I went ahead and got some replacement pulleys for down the road as well.

Anyway, dyno appointment is Saturday. Installed the colder NGK's last night, and trying to track down a possible vacuum leak tonight. *sigh* Also have a replacement wideband o2 from Zeitronix on the way that I hope will make it before Saturday. Wish me luck.

And f*ck it, while I'm at it... here's a shot I took Saturday night. I got tired of wrenching under the hood so I cleaned it up and took it out.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I wouldnt trust the ATI tune that it comes with as alot of the early ATI kits blew the motors due to no timing control...just an FYI

Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Nice job, Todd, much respect for rolling up your sleeves and Dee-ing Eye Why.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by superchargedg
I wouldnt trust the ATI tune that it comes with as alot of the early ATI kits blew the motors due to no timing control...just an FYI
I'm going the Osiris route. Z1 is going to start from scratch with the tune. Even if I did have the EMFU from Procharger, I wouldn't have bothered hooking it up. I seriously question the thought process of ANYone driving an FI car without a proper dyno tune. You just dropped $5-$6-$7,000 on force induction.... what's another G note to make it run right.

I haven't even driven it with the blower belt on it... only idle with a few gentle RPM increases up to about 2000 to make sure nothing shredded and the belts ran true.

So, on Saturday we'll see what happens.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
I'm going the Osiris route. Z1 is going to start from scratch with the tune. Even if I did have the EMFU from Procharger, I wouldn't have bothered hooking it up. I seriously question the thought process of ANYone driving an FI car without a proper dyno tune. You just dropped $5-$6-$7,000 on force induction.... what's another G note to make it run right.

I haven't even driven it with the blower belt on it... only idle with a few gentle RPM increases up to about 2000 to make sure nothing shredded and the belts ran true.

So, on Saturday we'll see what happens.
Good luck with the dyno and good luck on the results with that jet engine under the hood

Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Good luck with the dyno and good luck on the results with that jet engine under the hood
hahahaha... thanks.

I'll either come back here and post up numbers or post a picture of me with a huge bag of kitty litter sweeping up the oil. LOL

In all seriousness, the car has a strange idle issue. I've done a boost leak test and tracked down one leak that I fixed, but that didn't affect the issue. So, it's either a vacuum leak that I can't source out, or it's the stock map trying to figure out what to do with all the extra fuel and air and the ECU just said "WTF?!?!?!"

It warms up fine, idles fine, then every 10-20 seconds it'll drop idle down and idle rough for 5-10 seconds, then rebound back up. Drives fine (rich as f***), just a random idle issue.

So, if I get there and it's a leak and the tune won't fix it, I'll have them throw a very, very safe map on it and then start tracking stuff down.

*sigh*

Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
how much did this setup cost ya? is a blower the same thing as a s/c?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxknuckles
is a blower the same thing as a s/c?
yes

Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by suprasam
yes
just confusde because a blower looks like a turbo and a s/c just plops on top of the block. I am guessing they look different but what they do is the same thing

Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
^^there are 2 basic types of superchargers. A roots style that is on the top e.g stillen and a centrifugal type that looks like a turbo e.g. ATI, Vortec. Bottoms line: if it is exhaust driven it is a turbo, if it is belt driven it is a supercharger.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
^^there are 2 basic types of superchargers. A roots style that is on the top e.g stillen and a centrifugal type that looks like a turbo e.g. Ati, vortec. Bottoms line: If it is exhaust driven it is a turbo, if it is belt driven it is a supercharger.
thanks!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
^^there are 2 basic types of superchargers. A roots style that is on the top e.g stillen and a centrifugal type that looks like a turbo e.g. ATI, Vortec. Bottoms line: if it is exhaust driven it is a turbo, if it is belt driven it is a supercharger.
THANKS! learn something new every day. Is the turbo looking one cheaper? or there is really know difference.

I am only look at FI, I am as built as you can be n/a without dropping the engine out and messing with internals. I want to hit 300 whp, at 260 right now. BUT JESUS 5k+ for what I hear is a un reliable at times FI setup. I just want a mini s/c or turbo to get me there that wont blow my engine and wont be high maintinence, and cost under 4k

in a perfect world! right

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ATI Procharger on Coupe w/ 9 lb pulley - the journey begins