Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Supercharger,Twin Turbo,Single Turbo?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger,Twin Turbo,Single Turbo?????

What are the pro's and con's?

The first upgrade I want to do is performance. So I would like everyone input on what is what................

Old 01-27-2005, 12:51 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by DELOCK
What are the pro's and con's?

The first upgrade I want to do is performance. So I would like everyone input on what is what................
SC - pro's: safer on engine, power available immediately. cons: doesn't produce as much torque as TT, belt driven

TT- pros: High torque. cons: turbo lag, not safe over 7psi on stock internals (see pro for reason)

Old 01-27-2005, 01:02 PM
So Randy, since this is going to be a daily driven car. A supercharger will be my best bet?

Old 01-27-2005, 02:06 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
it really depends on how much money you want to put into it. You can makeit a daily driven car with a TT, but you'll need a lot more parts to make that a safe choice. I daily drive my Vortech'ed G hard and it hasn't given me any problems...so far, I have 5k miles on the system.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:50 PM
you can also check some of the post on my350z.com they have some real good topics on pretty much all kits out or planning on coming out.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 PM
aps
Banned
Originally Posted by Randys_G
SC - pro's: safer on engine, power available immediately. cons: doesn't produce as much torque as TT, belt driven
SC being a safer FI option is not absolutely correct, in fact at the identical WHP the turbocharger would be safer as the SC would need to produce at least 40 Hosrepower more at the cranshaft to produce the same power at the wheels as a turbochrged engine.

Originally Posted by Randys
TT- pros: High torque. cons: turbo lag, not safe over 7psi on stock internals (see pro for reason)
Turbo lag is virtually an issue of the past with the introduction of modern dual ball bearing turbos, Duall Ball Bearing Twin Turbos will generally produce a stronger torque curve across the entire RPM range (much stronger than a centrifugal type of SC) than that of a positive displacement or centrifugal supercharger and at no higher risk to engine safety/durability.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
aps
Banned
You can makeit a daily driven car with a TT, but you'll need a lot more parts to make that a safe choice.

From what I learnt over many years of working with FI you need the exact same parts to make a supercharged or turbocharged engine a safe daily driver, (both forms of FI have to cope with positive pressure and higher cylinder pressures) in reality the fuel system and engine management ignition timing control is critical on both types of FI.

Peter

Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by aps
SC being a safer FI option is not absolutely correct, in fact at the identical WHP the turbocharger would be safer as the SC would need to produce at least 40 Hosrepower more at the cranshaft to produce the same power at the wheels as a turbochrged engine.

Turbo lag is virtually an issue of the past with the introduction of modern dual ball bearing turbos, Duall Ball Bearing Twin Turbos will generally produce a stronger torque curve across the entire RPM range (much stronger than a centrifugal type of SC) than that of a positive displacement or centrifugal supercharger and at no higher risk to engine safety/durability.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Correct, except you forget the fact that the turbo makes more torque and it's the torque that breaks things...APS, I think that TT of yours is sweet, don't get me wrong, but that's how I feel as far as safer goes.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 AM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SC deffinately a safer way to go. This is what i plan on doing to my car.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:08 PM
aps
Banned
Correct, except you forget the fact that the turbo makes more torque and it's the torque that breaks things
I agree with you 100%............ the significant difference is with turbocharging you can map the boost curve electronically for more or less boost pressure, hence engine torque..............you can't do this with any supercharger, there you need to make pulley changes which impacts on boost pressure (mass air flow) across the entire rpm range.

APS, I think that TT of yours is sweet, don't get me wrong, but that's how I feel as far as safer goes.
High safety for FI induction engines is matching the mass air flow increase to the fuel system, static compression ratio, with sensible boost pressure and ignition timing, then all types of FI will be safe on this basis.

Thanks

Peter

Old 02-02-2005, 08:06 PM
maz
what all of you FI geeks do about warranty? just say - fcku it? I a crious because I don't want to spend 10+k on SC or TT and then have something minor/major happen to the car and not being able to take it to the dealer for service. Would you ONLY suggest TT SC in case if you know howto work on your own car or what?

tnx

Old 02-02-2005, 08:41 PM
To go FI ask yourself a couple of questions:

1) Do I have the money to buy the FI?

2) Do I have the money to buy a new motor if this one fails?

Supercharger vs. Turbo:

1) Is 330 - 400 (pushing it - imo) whp all that you need, then a supercharger may be right for you.

2) Does a whine coming from the engine bay bother you, then a supercharger may not be right for you.

3) Do you have a sizeable amount of money to spend on the motor, then Turbo charging would be the way to go (imagine 600 hp - damn).

I have a supercharger and have about $6500 invested in the whole setup: s/c, install, guages, tuning, ect. Probably will spend about $500-600 a year on tuning.

If I blow the motor, I would probably replace motor and return to stock and go a different route, but that's just me and that's why I chose a supercharger.

On any FI setup tuning and understanding what you are doing to the motor are crucial. I am still learning and forever will be.

I too was once hung up on the warranty thing. I debated back and forth with myself and finally said "WTF". I just didn't want to go to the grave and had never been Force Induced!

Sorry for the rambling, just some of my thoughts.

Good Luck

Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 PM
If 330-400 whp gain is acceptable, then why not the Stillen SC stage 2 kit. No tuning required. You get a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty on engine. Plus its Carb certified. Dont have to worry about getting pulled over for cops to check under your hood. Well, I guess its that freakin stillen hood thats preventing me from buying it. From what Ive heard Stillen is coming out with a new style hood for the SC kit, but no pictures yet.

Last edited by GXCLUSIV; 02-02-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
If 330-400 whp gain is acceptable, then why not the Stillen SC stage 2 kit. No tuning required. You get a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty on engine. Plus its Carb certified. Dont have to worry about getting pulled over for cops to check under your hood. Well, I guess its that freakin stillen hood thats preventing me from buying it. From what Ive heard Stillen is coming out with a new style hood for the SC kit, but no pictures yet.
I would have jumped on a roots blower in a second but I like the stealth look. I even painted my I/C black so you can't see it.

The hood blows, but it looks kind of cool in black.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:56 AM
what happens if u do get pulled over and the cop asks to pop ur hood? Would u then have to take it off? Your supercharger that is..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger,Twin Turbo,Single Turbo?????