Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

"TM" Vortech Belt Mod - Interest Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 357 Likes on 258 Posts
"TM" Vortech Belt Mod - Interest Thread

Feeler thread for variable tensioner. Due to lack of interest I'm not going to spend time pursuing this. I've ran it now for over 2 years of hard track abuse and daily driving and I've never replaced a belt or had belt slip. Since that seems understated I should point out that I'm overspinning the blower, running the engine to 7000 RPM, and pushing 16 PSI on this setup.
Again, literally NEVER had belt slip or belt issues since installing this.
I'll keep this thread open for information purposes.

Here's the stock belt design:

Here's the TM Pulley Mod Design:

Name:  RevisedTMbeltsetup_zps1fe640cc.png
Views: 729
Size:  316.2 KB

You simply remove this pulley:

Name:  Untitled_zps546e8670.png
Views: 510
Size:  170.3 KB

Drill the 1/4" hole per the supplied template directly below where the pulley was mounted, and then install the supplied tensioner where the old pulley was with the new bolt.

Please excuse the crude picture during testing:

Name:  20130505_154841_zps4df79be2.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  123.5 KB

Then all you need to do is adjust the stock tensioner FOR THE LAST TIME EVER and install the belt. The new tensioner can be adjusted FROM THE TOP OF THE CAR with a simple 3/8" Ratchet wrench. You can change your belt WITHOUT EVER LIFTING THE CAR OR GOING UNDER IT AGAIN.
This is also great because the stock tensioner setup, well, it sucks. they're known to seize, break, strip, and cause a general headache.

This new setup utilizes a VARIABLE TENSIONER. So when the belt loads up and stretches, the tensioner moves clockwise and increases the tension accordingly, and when the load decreases and the belt returns to 'normal' length, the tensioner self-adjusts.
This will keep the ideal tension on your belt system at all times, regardless of temperature, pulley loads, belt wear, etc.

This is a feeler thread. I need to know if there is interest before I produce this kit.

If this goes to production, it will include detailed color instructions, supplied template for drilling, supplied youtube links for installation and belt-change video walk throughs, new mounting bolt, and the pre-modified variable tensioner assembly.

That's literally all you need, this is the EASIEST belt/pulley mod for this setup, it's benefits are copious, and the installation and upfront cost is clearcut, simple and minimal. You use the stock belt size.

Let me know what you think, any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by TunerMax; 07-31-2016 at 08:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TunerMax:
2drwild (05-13-2013), G ZILLA (05-06-2013), That G Gray (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
interesting.. would this be better than the GTM tensioner pulley (alleviates belt slip) that is already on the market for the vortech guys?

Last edited by That G Gray; 05-06-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I am Hoping not to do the 'this is better than so-and-so's 'kit'. All are viable solutions. My hope is to simply provide the facts and options for you guys and YOU can form your own opinion on which is a better route.

I can lay out the full theory and evidence, R & D, etc behind this if there is enough inquires and interest, I'm more than willing to put that out in the open for the public!

I will say that no other modifcation/kit incorporates a variable tensioner, which IN MY OPINION is what is needed the most in order to combat the ROOT CAUSE of these problems. Adding pulleys is a good idea, I tried it also before realizing the root cause of the problem.

I also very much disliked how close the belt runs to the timing covers, especially with a couple of the pulley mods (that require actually grinding the timing covers down). This mod moves the belts farther away from the timing cover high-spots, rather than closer to them.

Last edited by TunerMax; 05-06-2013 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
That G Gray (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
^i like where this thread is going

Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts
I love it. More parts, kits, set ups, configurations, engineering.

for 5 years I have been saying vortechs can push just as much as turbos, its relieving to see

all of this come to life.

Even on the RevUp kit, I add a pulley directly center of the bracket to increase more grip on the crank pulley.

well done lad....well done.

two thumbs up.

TunerMax (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks dude!! The beauty of it is the simplicity. And I freaking love being able to change the belt from the top instead of the stupid stock setup!!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 AM
I also elongated the slot on the stock pulley adjustment.
Helped wrap the crank more on the passenger side.

Every little bit helps.

TunerMax (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM
That's a great idea, nice work!

I was surprised to find such a short adjustment on it when I had it apart also. Mine was starting to look nasty because Canada, so I didn't push too hard to get it apart lol felt like it was going to snap

Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 PM
A quick update, after running on the dyno and being able to monitor the tensioner and belt during high RPM & load, the belt stretch is even more than I imagined at high load.
I have to choose whether to either:

A) Add a small pulley by the blower pulley in addition (where people normally install the single pulley)

or

B) Reposition the tensioner ("CLOCK") just a bit

The issue is under high belt stretch the tensioner tightens up and raises the belt into the cam cover, and it just barely grazes it when the RPM is high enough. Tension is still maintained and I haven't had a peep of belt sqeal at all.

So I have some more testing to do
Chances are, I'll install the 2nd pulley, I prefer that method, there's simply not enough pulleys in the long stretch between the main belt cluster and the blower pulley, adding one or more will only help

Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Subscribed ... been running my Vortech setup for ~7 years now (minimal mileage) and haven't had a belt squeal issue, however I have had to replace the jackshaft bearings once. I believe the bearings failed due to how tight I've had the belt.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
An update:

So instead of re-clocking the tensioner completely, I just increased the nominal tension 1.5 turns on the stock tensioner.

Perfect. No rubbing, and tension is ideal at all times.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Also consider larger pulley replacements if space permits

Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
An update:

So instead of re-clocking the tensioner completely, I just increased the nominal tension 1.5 turns on the stock tensioner.

Perfect. No rubbing, and tension is ideal at all times.
Sounds like you have this pretty well cooked....when will they be available?

--Sk

Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Well since interest has been relatively low, probably not at all

I might just do a thread with a rough "DIY" on it for those interested in giving it a shot.

Anyone that really wants a 'kit' can PM me and we can go over it.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Well since interest has been relatively low, probably not at all

I might just do a thread with a rough "DIY" on it for those interested in giving it a shot.

Anyone that really wants a 'kit' can PM me and we can go over it.
I'm interested in it....and I think all I need to know is where do I source the tensioner and how do I increase the nominal tension on it. Other than that, I can figure out where to drill the hole based on your description and the rest is just bolting the tensioner in.

If you could PM me with that info....I'd appreciate it.

--Sk

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "TM" Vortech Belt Mod - Interest Thread