Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

vortech BOV replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody here know what i am talking about on the supra bovs?
i will try to find the redline3 vid again so u guys can here it.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned
I got the Greddy rs BOV . Hooked it up and it doesnt work . Will not open under vacuum .Going to have to send it back , so will have to wait to see how it sounds

Old 03-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compressor surge will force the impeller back against the walls of the blower shearing off metal pieces that get into the bearings and will destroy the blower in no time. The MaxFlo BOV should be adjusted to open starting around 4-6" and fully by about 2". That's around 6 threads showing. Some people get away with 4 or 5 threads but you've got to be really careful to listen for surge and especially that scraping sound.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Banned
I was mistaken when I said you can put a BOV on a Vortech suoer charger kit . I tried it . We have a BYPASS VALVE...not a BOV .You could get it to work but its not worth the trouble IMO . Im learning exspensive lessons with this car . A Bypass valve stays open under vacuum and closes when vacuum nears [0] , stays closed under boost . A BOV is closed all the time under vacuum until you let off the gas and or the preasure from boost reaches a set psi and then opens . If Im not explaining it right , some one correct me . I thought they worked basicly the same.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Booger...I bet your car ran crazy shooting boost into the car at idle! On a turbo car the compressor is free running. So when you shift that thing is still spinning at crazy high rpms. The BOV blows excess boost that's trapped in the intake plumbing because the turbo is still spinning. On our cars the compressor is engine controlled so that when we shift there is not an overwhelming amount of boost still present. Consider electrical switches, where our BPV is normally open, the BOV is normally closed. Unfortunately it sounds like you've already learned this hard way. You could find a way to attach the "whistle" from the Greddy BOV to our BPV but you could end up with a lot of whistle while cruising.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the Vortech parts list, the device is called a "Race Bowoff Valve". A separate instruction sheet provided also calls it a "Maxflow race blowoff valve" (part# 8D204-011). I believe that there is actually a typo because in the body of the instructions it states, "The bypass valve opening point can be adjusted from 3" to 6" Hg. The blowoff valve opening point is set as 16" Hg." 'Blowoff' and 'bypass' should be swapped. "Open" in these instructions means open to flow through the intake piping (from about 4" vacuum through boost) and "closed" means blowing off into the atmosphere (when >4" or so vacuum). A blowoff valve blows off excessive pressure in the outlet piping from the blower to prevent surge when the throttle plate closes (as in shifting when you lift off the gas). I believe that the Vortech "bypass" valve is a higher flow, higher pressure unit for extreme boost applications in race cars. Essentially, they serve the same function. What booger was referring to is a "wastegate" that is closed to the atmosphere all the time until boost exceed a certain amount--the threshhold of damage to the engine from excessive boost--typically used with turbo, not SC.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned
I didnt have it on long enough to find out much . I did notice it was very lean at idle . The ECU started to adjust to it but I notice it wasnt open at idle [ no air cocming out ] So my first thought was that it wasnt working right . I took it off and sent it back in . Called them today and told them to send it back . I'll have a brand new Greddy rs type BOV for sale in a week or two . LOLOLOL

Old 03-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Booger,

go to this link http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113491

Look at Aron's sig. He is using the greddy s bov on his vortech. You may want to pm and see how he got it to work.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned
I believe the Greddy S type BOV has [2] vacuum ports and can be ran as a BOV or a bypass valve . Top port ...BOV....bottom port... bypass