Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Man I dunno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,
Well that was over a month ago, so its old news unfortunately. Im just stating what Peter told me via email 2 days ago. He also stated, he is not familiar with the KenStyle bumper personally, but by seeing my pictures, he thinks its 90% possibility it may work with APS kit.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Hey,
Well that was over a month ago, so its old news unfortunately. Im just stating what Peter told me via email 2 days ago. He also stated, he is not familiar with the KenStyle bumper personally, but by seeing my pictures, he thinks its 90% possibility it may work with APS kit.
Well thanks for the updated info. I hope it works for your bumper because that also was the route I was planning!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:57 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Randy,
Better yet, let him test drive your G. Or you guys can have a quick race. Let him hear that BOV! Steve will keep that Vortech for sure.
Actually, if I wasn't leaving for Texas this week, I'd meet up with him and let him drive her...he'd change his mind then!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Never enough
I like the Vortech and Im pretty much sold on it and nothing else at this point. BUT I started to thing about smog and getting pulled over and started to **** myself. I watched that vid a few weeks ago. I love everything it has to offer but Im a little worried about my motor and smog. THINK THINK THINK! Im sure when it comes on Friday all Ill want to do will be to throw it on! We'll see!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Whenever you start to run any car at a much higher spec than what the designers intended, you run the risk of ruining something. The tranny, valves, engine block, etc. were designed by Nissan to handle <300 HP. Yeah, certain parts are always overspec'd, but in general, you have be careful. Just two weeks ago I watched 2 heavily tweaked cars drop their trannies at the track. Why? Because the tranmissions were designed for a certain amount of power...and that limit was so apparently exceeeded. The key to making a FI car reliable is to spend the money to beef up the whole car, from engine all the way to where the rubber meets the road. And that can be expensive. If it's a daily driver, I would not do it, especially if you don't have any other transportation. On the other hand, if it's a toy, go for it and have fun.

I'll probably end up slapping a Z-tube, plenum spacer, high flow cats, and a nice cat back on mine. But only because I think that the measly power gain from those mods won't put the car so out of spec that I might damage something. At least that is my hope!

Old 03-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by BrianlG35C
Send it back and get the APS ST!
Could not have said it better myself. I am telling you, come May, anyone who buys a vortech for 5K or so plus install with the availability of the APS ST for about hte same money will be out of their minds!

Old 03-08-2005, 04:11 AM
Heres another kit to consider. JWT's TwinTurbo kit is soon to be released and will be the only street legal/carb approved turbo kit for the G35 and 350z. G35 kit is already done and awaiting final carb certification. Also works with stock bumper. Price is around $6000.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp

Old 03-08-2005, 05:10 AM
Banned
does jwt offer warranty like stillen?

Old 03-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Stillen stage2 is the only FI kit ( SC ) that offers the optional warranty.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:12 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Could not have said it better myself. I am telling you, come May, anyone who buys a vortech for 5K or so plus install with the availability of the APS ST for about hte same money will be out of their minds!
Gurg, this is where I disagree. If someone is looking for power, but not the amount of added torque the TT or ST brings to the table, potentially damaging their internals...I'd say the SC is still a good choice. Sure, I'm putting 400 to the wheels, but only 345 ft lbs....the TT and ST look to put way more ft lbs and at a lower RPM...great for racing but not for stock internals.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Never enough
WOW that JWT looks sweet and card cert. Does anyone know how much $$ its going to be?

Old 03-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Never enough
Originally Posted by GurgenPB
The problem with my Vortech in the end is going to run me about 4500 with my install and gates belt,plugs and oil pan spacer.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
Gurg, this is where I disagree. If someone is looking for power, but not the amount of added torque the TT or ST brings to the table, potentially damaging their internals...I'd say the SC is still a good choice. Sure, I'm putting 400 to the wheels, but only 345 ft lbs....the TT and ST look to put way more ft lbs and at a lower RPM...great for racing but not for stock internals.
Randy, buddy.... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree... With turbos you have total control... you can i fact program the boost controller inside the unichip to come in gradually, more boost wth more rpm. Or you can always decrease boost and have the same amount of torque at, say, 5-6 psi, that a supercharger (any supercharger) would have at 8-9psi. I guess we have discussed this before on another forum, but it is not the way the power comes on that breaks the engine, it is just how it is tuned. I blew my first engine, a 5.7 psi, wheer I was making no more than 350whp. Vortech is a well put-together system, but it is of a different philosophy than an turbo. The great advantage of that kit was price, and all that I am saying is that that advantage is next to disappearing. The one thing that SCs have that turbos do not, potentially, is a more predictable power delivery, which could be advantageous at the track in handling the car in the corners.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Thats funny that i came across this thread, because i am in the same situation about the vortech supercharger. Ive been waiting about 3 weeks now on the arrival of my vortech kit, and i also seem to be thinking if i should even go along with it. At first smog wasnt really an issue to me, but now its starting to bug me because this year ill prolly have to smog the car for registration. But after watching the video of the twin supercharged g's every now and than and hearing how they sound i seem to always change my mind about it. lolz But i guess ill make my final decision when i get it. What sucks is that if i decide not to go with it, i have already bought the extra parts for the kit...

gg

Old 03-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G352NV
Well after four weeks my Vortech is on the way. Im now starting to have second thoughts, yes hell of a time! I dunno why but I just keep asking myself if I really need the kit! I just keep think this car isnt slow now! There isnt a time I dont get into my car and I dont smile now. Man I duno what to do!
What you're now suffering from is "cognitive dissonance"--the misgivings that all buyers experience after the initial excitement wears off. I had the same feelings as you did--that is, until I installed my Vortech and started driving my G with 400 crank horsepower. The kit totally changed the character of the car--yet the power is smooth, subtle and very linear until you floor the gas pedal. Then--watch out! You will not have a single moment of regret once the kit is installed and working right.

Even with no boost and still in vacuum, the car is way more driveable and responsive. The blower improves the efficiency of the engine and my gas mileage didn't go down at all--unless I drive maniacally. The entire kit is of very high quality and you will be totally impressed. You can drive the car without any dynotune. Right out of the box, the Vortech has a conservative tune which is actually safer than any tune you'll get from a performance shop. Hours were spent by Vortech on the dyno getting the SS box just right. I installed an AEM AFR gauge and I'm impressed with how well the mixture responds to changes in boost pressure--from a normal 14.7 down to a low of about 11.5.

I did half the install myself and left the hard stuff--oil pan tapping and fuel system to Avalon Racing in NH. In one weekend, the kit was in a running perfectly. I did have to swap out the BOV which had a leak during boost so I was plateauing out around 2-4 psi. The new BOV correct this and all is fine.

The power and the sound is intoxicating and, although I enjoyed my car immensely before, now I like it way better.

I highly recommend you get the JWT oil pan spacer to add an extra quart of oil. You'll need to install 1 step colder plugs. Save your money and just by coppers. I think Iridiums are a rip, even though I bought a set. You're going to change the plugs every year anyway.

Unless you're extremely handy, leave the installation to pros who have done the precise installation on the same model car at least 3 or 4 times before. The engine compartment is very tight and the kit fits with only millimeters of clearance. The instructions are not detailed enough to avoid making a serious mistake. If you do install it yourself, have a pro check your install thoroughly and fix the places you screw up (I routed a pipe on the wrong side of an air conditioner hose--how could I have known?).

So, just calm down and look forward to a totally awesome machine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Man I dunno