Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Psychotic Desire for APS TT or ST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're just making a mountain out of a molehill.. I've noticed this trend with you ever since you discovered that there isn't a close tuner to you. You went with Greddy, good for you. Just drop it and enjoy your kit while your motor lasts.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by narkotic
Just drop it and enjoy your kit while your motor lasts.
Very mature dude.

I hope for your sake you have a qualified tuner in your area if not your are going to spend $10K and end up with less hp than you have now.

Enjoy your kit and keep sucking Peter's nutz.......

Old 05-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Peter, can you clarify the out of the box, no tuning, APS TT whp that we can expect? I keep reading all these different numbers. What psi is it set at out of the box? If I have nothing done at all, and throw this kit on, tell me what I could expect on a dynojet. Somebody said 350whp, somebody else said 400whp. That's a big difference. Thanks Peter.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Great, you called me immature, and then.. ended it all with

"Enjoy your kit and keep sucking Peter's nutz......."

bravo... enjoy your cheap kit while your seals blow out of your turbos and not having a front impact brace.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:52 PM
aps
Banned
Originally Posted by KjbAlto
Peter, can you clarify the out of the box, no tuning, APS TT whp that we can expect? I keep reading all these different numbers.
I think there are 3 confusing issues that impact on power readings, one is the fuel octane rating, another is the performance of the exhaust system installed with the APS TT system, the other what type of dyno is being utilised for the dyno test.

At APS we always utilise our own APS TD exhaust system on every APS twin turbo system installation (this exhaust system has zero exhaust back pressure at 380 WHP) and I'd expect to see approx 380 to 390 WHP on a dead stock VQ engine - this power figure is normally a little higher on a dyno jet dyno, around 20 to 30 WHP higher.

What psi is it set at out of the box?
With what brand of exhaust system? The amount of exhaust back pressure in the exhaust will have some impact on the turbo pressure in the inlet manifold.

With an APS TD exhaust system the boost pressure is approx 8.5 PSI out of the box though this will alter marginally depending on the exhaust system utilised.

If I have nothing done at all, and throw this kit on, tell me what I could expect on a dynojet. Somebody said 350whp, somebody else said 400whp. That's a big difference. Thanks Peter.
With an APS TD exhaust system and on 93 octane fuel I would expect approx 380 to 400 WHP depending on the brand and type of dynamometer used for the testing, I know this is somewhat confusing though different brands of dynos read very differently.

Thanks

Peter

Old 05-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by narkotic
Great, you called me immature, and then.. ended it all with

"Enjoy your kit and keep sucking Peter's nutz......."

bravo... enjoy your cheap kit while your seals blow out of your turbos and not having a front impact brace.
Your right. I appologize. I was just putting the facts on table so those thinking about this kit know them. Judging by all the other posts on this thread people don't really know their options when it comes to tuning this kit. That does not give you right to flame me and hope that my motor blows. This forum is here so people can get information and give their opinons. I gave mine and it seems like you didn't like it.

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-13-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Here is quote from a member on another board. This guy has an APS TT on a 350z and dynoed on a dynojet, which according to Peter usually reads 20-30whp higher.

Originally Posted by captj3
My TT dyno was 360/340 93octane map from GRD/Tuan.That was with H/F cats and stillen exhuast.I just had test pipes installed and I can tell you I gained 20hp or more haven't redynod yet.APS's TT kit according to there web site is 380ish with 9lbs of boost.H/F cats and exhaust will make a big differance with any turbo kit.Also my A/F 10.1 from 3k to red line.
Here is another post from from captj3. I asked him what kind of dyno he dynoed on.

Originally Posted by captj3
It was a dyno jet.The same one that sfzcc uses when they have there dyno days.My past dyno with plenum H/F cats and exhaust was 257/240.
Without the test pipes he gained 103whp with the out of the box tune.

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-13-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I certainly hope your motor does not blow, by all means. Good luck with your buildup.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn, isn't 10.1 rich from 3k up? I can understand it being on the safe side but that seems really rich

Old 05-13-2005, 07:32 PM
aps
Banned
Originally Posted by Gman2004
Without the test pipes he gained 103whp with the out of the box tune.
That's an interesting viewpoint, a dead stock 350Z mearsures approx 210 WHP on our dyno dynamics dyno so if he's now achieved 360 WHP that's a WHP gain of approx 150 WHP over a dead stock VQ engine.

I normally dyno and measure the APS twin turbo system and TD exhaust system installed at approx 380 WHP on average (stock WHP is normally around 210 WHP) - that's a 170 WHP gain from dead stock power to APS twin turbo power.

That said you will always see a variation in power from state to state because of different environmental conditions, fuel octane quality, and the engine itself.

You only need to have slighty lower or higher fuel pressure or boost pressure from engine to engine and this can effect WHP very easily by up to 30 WHP.

Thanks

Peter

Peter

Old 05-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by aps
That's an interesting viewpoint, a dead stock 350Z mearsures approx 210 WHP on our dyno dynamics dyno so if he's now achieved 360 WHP that's a WHP gain of approx 150 WHP over a dead stock VQ engine.

I normally dyno and measure the APS twin turbo system and TD exhaust system installed at approx 380 WHP on average (stock WHP is normally around 210 WHP) - that's a 170 WHP gain from dead stock power to APS twin turbo power.

well he gained 103whp when he added the APS TT. Unfortunatley he did not post his bone stock numbers. He posted his numbers with hf cats and exhaust and then hf cats, exhaust, and APS TT. His highest dyno with hf cats and exhaust was 257. I highly doubt that he gain 40rwhp with an exhaust and hf cats. Let's say he gained 30rwhp is extremely high for those two mods, then he would have gained 133rwhp from stock.

It just seems that out of the box tune numbers are a little inflated IMO. With that said I HAVE NOT DOUBT THE APS TT CAN ACHIEVE MUCH HIGHER NUMBERS WITH A CUSTOM TUNE OTHER THAN THE BOX TUNE.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
According to this guy he had the first APS TT in the US installed on his car. Look at his out of the box tune numbers. He had to have it retuned to get to 400whp.

Originally Posted by one3502nv
tuned or used "out of the box" set up--- Untuned out of the box got 6.5lbs, 350whp and 330 tq.. Had that for 9,000 mile
Then tuned to 9lbs- 401 whp, 396 tq

Old 05-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by aps
APS has developed this tuning map for 93 octane fuel - if you have a built engine with forged rods and a comp ratio of around 9:1 then supplying a map to suit this combination will not be a problem in the future.

Peter

Well I guess that GRD can supply a map via mail tune for a built engine but it looks like they don't recommend it. This a response from GRD after I asked them if they can mail tune the unichip for a vq built with low compression and forged internals.

Jorge we can send you a map that will be close but it is always safer and beneficient to get it tuned.
thanks
irshad

Old 05-29-2005, 09:51 PM
aps
Banned
Well I guess that GRD can supply a map via mail tune for a built engine but it looks like they don't recommend it. This a response from GRD after I asked them if they can mail tune the unichip for a vq built with low compression and forged internals.

Jorge we can send you a map that will be close but it is always safer and beneficient to get it tuned.
thanks
irshad
I believe that answer is absolutely correct - a generic tuning map will be close though not perfect, a custom dyno tuned engine will always provide the most powerful and safest tuning strategy for a high powered VQ engine.

Peter

Old 05-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by aps
I believe that answer is absolutely correct - a generic tuning map will be close though not perfect, a custom dyno tuned engine will always provide the most powerful and safest tuning strategy for a high powered VQ engine.

Peter
So why did you previously post this.

Wow, funny you say that. Before I purchased my greddy tt, I emailed tuan per your recommendation, and I asked him if I purchased the APS TT from him could he custom map me a tune for 500rwhp and he told me NO. At that power level he would need the car to tune it.

Originally Posted by APS
APS has developed this tuning map for 93 octane fuel - if you have a built engine with forged rods and a comp ratio of around 9:1 then supplying a map to suit this combination will not be a problem in the future.
Peter
If it is not safe to mail tune then what good does it do for people that don't have access to get the custom tune? Aren't you the one that talks up and down of how important a good tune on a load based dyno is? Close only matter with horse shoes and granades not with a $10K motor.

Thanks

Jorge

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Psychotic Desire for APS TT or ST