Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

The Best Supercharger???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the vortech work on the 05?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:15 PM
You need to decide how you want to use the supercharger and consider the inherent advantages and disadvantages to each supercharger design. I haven't had a chance to experience the Vortech or Stillen (yet), so this is mostly based on the limitations of the designs, and what you can expect from each.

First off, between supercharger and turbocharger, the single turbo might be more powerful for an equivalent cost of the super's but, that gets eaten up with other associated costs. I think you're OK with the tranny as stock to handle the power of any of the superchargers, if you looked at single or twin turbo you definitely need to look into upgrading the transmission's torque converter and valve bodies at a minimum to handle it. With the supercharger, you'll want to consider a valve body upgrade if you wanted faster and firmer shifts, but it seems like a lot of people do OK with the stock tranny and a supercharger. For myself, I'd do a transmission upgrade in any case. Also, in terms of install costs, the superchargers are simpler and less expensive. Turbochargers are generally more complex with more parts and require replacement or modification of the manifolds other parts of the exhaust system before even getting to the intake or installing the compressors.

Between superchargers, I'm not too familiar with the HKS system, but the Stillen and Vortech superchargers are two very different designs. Stillen is a twin screw design (which is a modification of the Roots system) while the Vortech is a centrifugal supercharger. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Twin Screw - This is a positive displacement design. Means that every revolution for the blower, regardless of engine speed, moves the same amount of air. The twin screw design compresses and cools the air as its forced into the intake manifold, so it is a very efficient design. Full boost is available almost immediately from idle through redline, and overboost is prevented by an intake bypass system so when the engine is idling, no air is being forced in. FI doesn't being until you hit the throttle. Its typically the quietest of all the superchargers.

CSC - These are basically the same design as the air pumps used on turbo's, but instead of being driven by exhaust gas, they're driven by a belt connected to the crankshaft or such. The faster the pully moves, the faster the blades in the compressor spin, the more are gets pushed through. Because of that design, you don't hit full boost until you're in the higher RPM range and these designs are much noisier with a very distinctive whistle. Boost gains are exponential as the RPM's increase, but you need to get the engine there first to feel the power.

The way I look at it, for an automatic transmission, particularly in D, the twin screw is a better design. Its quieter, and you'll get the full boost as soon as you hit the gas. If you're keeping it in manumatic or taking it to the track where you can keep the engine in a higher RPM range, the CSC type will be much better for you. If all things were equal, I'd go Stillen. But, the Stillen SC requires that awful double dimple hood which is a dealbreaker for so many people. I'm not a huge fan of the Vortech, but thats because I'm not thrilled with CSC superchargers, not because of Vortech themselves. Vortech is a very good company, and it'd get my vote if you had the 6MT. Hope this gives you a little insight and good luck with whichever kit you choose.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:16 PM
although ati prochargers don't have a good rep, they are the only f/i solution with a stand alone oil system. if a bearing fails in any of the other kits, you loose the whole engine, hence the oil feeding off of the engine. in the procharger, if you loose a bearing it's isolated to the supercharger only. now if they can only get a good ecu solution they'd be awesome. i'm now looking at the stillen, because of the new hood redesign. because it seems to to be efficient at lower rpm's, (that's where most of my driving is anyway), and it seems to be the most reliable system. it's not as powerful, but that's also why they don't break things.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Before I made a move, I would look hard at the HKS Rotrex and compare it to the Vortech SC. I continue to hear nothing but good things about HKS quality.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:53 PM
about the hks kit... do they make a kit for the g35 yet? can it be converted for the sedan? does it fit autos? can it be installed on the east coast? i ask these questions because of issues the other kits are having. installation and tunability issues. they make one for the 350z, that can surely fit the g35's, and it can be tuned with the addition of an expensive part, but by whom? who is an authorized installer anywhere outside of california?

Old 06-22-2005, 02:14 AM
is it just me or does any ones elses vortech kit sound like a plan is taking off. haha...

well i jsut snapped my cog belt but other than that i love it.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
$4300 for satin finish and around $4600 for polished. This is what polished looks like.
where did you find it for those prices?

Old 06-24-2005, 12:41 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by Luke enas
where did you find it for those prices?
at the time I was looking (Oct 2004), www.superchargers4less.com. Just called them and they quoted me: $4374 unpolished $4678 polished...before shipping...he said the shipping rates vary depending on how many he's sending out the day you order. That's a good deal.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hks s/c wont give you as much power, but it is rumored to be more reliable. there isnt a kit specificaly for the G, but a Z kit can be fitted onto a G. unless you are looking for insane amounts of power, HKS might be a good choice. HKS is good for about 300hp (wheel) out of the box on an auto. for most thats plenty of power to kill yourself with!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:13 PM
4k on the Vortech and doing fine.

Attached Thumbnails The Best Supercharger???-image0001.jpg  
Old 06-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
$4300 for satin finish and around $4600 for polished. This is what polished looks like.
If I were to take a stock 05 6-speed G and spend $4300 for a Vortech supercharger what other costs would be involved besides installation?

Anyone know where I could get a cheap/good install in the tri-state area?

Old 06-25-2005, 01:14 PM
I also like the idea of a Vortech but worry about the belt problems some people have had with them. Hopefully this is a non issue.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 PM
HKS' Rotara S/C is probably the highest quality one i've seen for the G35.

although its tuned to a more conservative rating, there is potential for the HKS system to go over 600HP. also HKS have the best after sales support out of every aftermarket tuners in this market.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
4400 miles and no issues with the belts at all.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by perfectmax
If I were to take a stock 05 6-speed G and spend $4300 for a Vortech supercharger what other costs would be involved besides installation?

Anyone know where I could get a cheap/good install in the tri-state area?
Also will this kit work on the 05s

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Best Supercharger???