Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech Intercooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Here is the pic of Boogers car,

Nice job Booger.

Last edited by urban; 05-21-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:23 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urban
Does anybody know how much power the vortech puts down with just it being installed and without a tune, I know they run rich from the factory.
Like to know what I could really pick up with a dyno tune.
Anywhere from 335 to 350 to the wheels

Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm the guy that slotted the G35c front bumper to better ventilate the intercooler. It works great although, admittedly, there's been precious little warm weather in the Northeast to test it with. The stock bumper is totally inadequate in my opinion, without slotting. About 85% of the IC is blocked by the bumper. The slot I made is rectangular with rounded ends, lined with blue split vacuum hosing and located just under the front license plate. It very inconspicuous and gives the front of the car a racier look with the IC peeking through rather than visibly blocked.

In answer to how much power the stock Vortech puts down without a tune, mine put out 360 rwhp before and 372 after a very minimal dynotune that leaned out the brief points when the AFR dropped below 11 down to 10-10.5. The out-of-the-box tune was so good, I felt the dynotune was just optional and doesn't make the kit any safer than it already is. This is all contingent upon having a totally stock motor, intake and exhaust.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Thanks guys, I will def. need to get my car tuned as I am not only adding the cat back exhaust and y pipe with high flow cats but I am also changing out the 8lb pulley with the 9lb pulley.
Long term I may have to upgrade my injectors also but we shall see.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gersteinp
I'm the guy that slotted the G35c front bumper to better ventilate the intercooler. It works great although, admittedly, there's been precious little warm weather in the Northeast to test it with. The stock bumper is totally inadequate in my opinion, without slotting. About 85% of the IC is blocked by the bumper. The slot I made is rectangular with rounded ends, lined with blue split vacuum hosing and located just under the front license plate. It very inconspicuous and gives the front of the car a racier look with the IC peeking through rather than visibly blocked.

In answer to how much power the stock Vortech puts down without a tune, mine put out 360 rwhp before and 372 after a very minimal dynotune that leaned out the brief points when the AFR dropped below 11 down to 10-10.5. The out-of-the-box tune was so good, I felt the dynotune was just optional and doesn't make the kit any safer than it already is. This is all contingent upon having a totally stock motor, intake and exhaust.
Dyno tuning IS optional, but it will get you more power. The out-of-the-box tune is tuned to very rich levels in order to keep your engine from blowing up. You have to get the car dyno tuned to get the maximum power out of it. However, if you are happy with current power levels, then I guess you're fine. You will see some power increase with proper dyno tuning, though.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:20 AM
The general consensus on the vortech is that it runs rich out of the box as previously mentioned. however what about people who already have minor bolt ones like intake/plenum/exhaust/pulley?? Would the intake/plenum adversely affect the A/F (running dangerously lean) ratio if you decided against getting the car tuned??? I know if the car is stock what the expected HP #'s are, but what about those who have a highly modified N/A, can they also just slap on the Vortech S/C and assume it'll run just as safe?? common sense tells me that w/ other bolt on's the car should be tuned!! BTW, I know that tuning will get you more power as your finding the optimal A/F for your car and what not, but Im just curious as to the general consensus!!

Last edited by pdjafari; 05-26-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
since my car is black i like how the IC fits in between both vents on the front bumper. i like the sleeper look. Not that the loud hissing noice isnt noticable.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by pdjafari
The general consensus on the vortech is that it runs rich out of the box as previously mentioned. however what about people who already have minor bolt ones like intake/plenum/exhaust/pulley?? Would the intake/plenum adversely affect the A/F (running dangerously lean) ratio if you decided against getting the car tuned??? I know if the car is stock what the expected HP #'s are, but what about those who have a highly modified N/A, can they also just slap on the Vortech S/C and assume it'll run just as safe?? common sense tells me that w/ other bolt on's the car should be tuned!! BTW, I know that tuning will get you more power as your finding the optimal A/F for your car and what not, but Im just curious as to the general consensus!!
If I wasn't so darn lazy, I'd figure out how to post my last dyno results. I got A/F data with intake, y-pipe, headers, h/f cats and plenum and I'm not THAT lean. The data was taken via tail pipe readings on my 2004.5 (later version ECU) coupe.

Let me see what I can scrape up...

Old 07-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Here's a stock 2004 G35 with stock 18's...

Attached Thumbnails Vortech Intercooler-ryans-dyno.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Here's my 2004 with z-tube, K&N, Crawford: Plenum, Headers, Cats, JIC Y-Pipe and my heavy PIAA Super Rozza's... (I'll be re-dynoing soon to see what impact the heavy rims and tires have on my results.)

Attached Thumbnails Vortech Intercooler-todds-dyno.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by SIN3
since my car is black i like how the IC fits in between both vents on the front bumper. i like the sleeper look. Not that the loud hissing noice isnt noticable.
Albeit a sleeper, it defeats the purpose of the IC. You should look into a Greddy front bumper or TS1 style bumper...

Old 07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned
Any one know of how big we can go with an intercooler . The one that comes with the Vortech kit isnt big enough for my new set up . Looking to get some thing bigger if it will fit behind the bumper brace . Our core is 20 inches I believe . I think the one ATI runs is 24 inches .

Old 07-12-2005, 04:09 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by booger
Any one know of how big we can go with an intercooler . The one that comes with the Vortech kit isnt big enough for my new set up . Looking to get some thing bigger if it will fit behind the bumper brace . Our core is 20 inches I believe . I think the one ATI runs is 24 inches .
Boog, what have you done to your car? Built motor? Do you still have ther Vortech? What are you expecting to get out of the new mods?

Old 07-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned
Built lower end , cams , return fuel ,550 injectors , T-trim blower , 6MT LSD . Making 13.5psi , but the belt start to slip after that . preasure is to great between the blower and intercooler , and the belt will not hold after 13.5psi . Dynoed [ mustang dyno ] 400whp and 319trq. Adjusted to Dynojet numbers its 455whp and 345trq . Got to find a better IC that fits . So I can get all the boost out of it

Old 07-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Is there anyway to stop the belt from slipping at 13.5?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vortech Intercooler