Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Which FI System for California

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which FI System for California

I am possible moving to San Diego CA within a year and have been pondering the idea of going FI. Which kits are legal in that state? I was debating over a Vortec SC or an APS Single Turbo. Are either of these legal? If not, how are all you CA vets getting your Gs pass the Smog Checks? Or what system are you using in CA? Thanks...

Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Jim Wolf has finished their TT and it is awaiting certification. It is the only TT system (that I am aware of) that will be street legal. I have heard rumors of an official release time frame of the end of summer.

Stillen Stage II supercharger is street legal as well.

I am personally waiting for the JWT TT and cannot wait to hear about the results from end users.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:44 PM
G-35 Anonymous,
Thanks for the heads-up. Honestly, I have never heard of Jim Wolf. After checking the site, http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp I have to say that I am very impressed the setup. The placement of the intercoolers is awesome. The idea of getting more from the turbo install without having to replace my front facia is saving me $$$. If this passes emissions and gets its certification, I am all over this system. However, how reprutable of a company is Jim Wolf? Anyone using there products now?

FOr those in CA that want the APS TT setup, how can you get around the legalities? Take your car to Arizona to get your tags!!!?

Old 08-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim Wolf is a very big company. They are the creator of the infamous "pop charger" Big company and hopefully can get C.A.R.B. certifications. Supposed to be a great system. Either go with the Stillen Stage II which is still pretty impressive but if they pass emissions with the JWT go for that. Or you can get the APS, and find a good friend who works at a smog shop. Then youll be A-OK!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
From what Ive heard, if JWT is not able to get the carb eo sticker soon, they will release a tuner kit. You'll need a fuel system and possibly an engine management with kit. APS will release a carb legal kit possibly late this year or early next year from what I remember reading at www.350zmotoring.com forum.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Never enough
I was told that the Vortech was just done on a 05 and are waiting for the stickers.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by G-Crazy
G-35 Anonymous,
Thanks for the heads-up. Honestly, I have never heard of Jim Wolf.
JWT does amazing work with Nissans (and of course, that follows amazing work with Nissans.) If you are looking for FI for Cali, the most powerful thing you could get, assuming they get CARB, will be JWT's TT. I think JWT's TT setup will do very well even for states that don't need CARB certification judging by the calibre of their other setups and parts.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
If you're moving to San Diego (I just moved out of SD last weekend after 4+ years.....great place to live, already miss it) then you could drive up to Stillen and check out their SC. It's only about 80 miles away

sean

Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by socalsean
If you're moving to San Diego (I just moved out of SD last weekend after 4+ years.....great place to live, already miss it) then you could drive up to Stillen and check out their SC. It's only about 80 miles away

sean
Great idea sean

Old 08-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G352NV
I was told that the Vortech was just done on a 05 and are waiting for the stickers.
is that for a 6MT or 5AT???

Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by G352NV
My kit has the carb stamp on it and it looks really nice.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Exactly what people said above. If you know anybody who owned a 300zx or even any Nissan in the past, you will hear the name Jim Wolf with it. Some of my friends were big on the 300zx's and all I heard from them was JWT. The APS is supposedly an awesome kit, but I'm waiting for the JWT. If you need to pass CARB then JWT is your kit. To me, APS is biting off more than they can chew. They jump from project to project and have been promising CARB EO since the kit came out and they just keep pushing it back. Now they found out their kit that they promised everybody who bought it would most definitely pass CARB, will not pass CARB. Apparently the original stock injectors, among other things have to be done to get CARB and APS didn't follow those rules. So now everybody who bought that kit thinking the CARB EO was following shortly is disappointed to say the least. APS's new dream is another kit they will release that will pass CARB. I'm honestly sick and tired of them jumping all over the place. Finish one thing first before you start another. I'm not an APS basher by any means, even though it sounds like it in my post. From what I heard, they make a great product. Although I hate that they can never admit a mistake. Their single turbo kit drops boost after a certain rpm and they claim they designed it like that. Yet they advertise full boost all the way across on the dyno sheet on their website. So then they come back saying that's ideal for what a turbo charged car should be. lol Come on. Anyway, I'm excited for the JWT kit and I can't wait for them to release it.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Never enough
Yeah thats some crazy stuff about the APS ST. Ive been reading TONS of posts on it and it seems that APS is just all around the real reason.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Never going to find a single turbo kit that is legal in california. Reasoning: it moves the location of the cats and thus is illegal.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by KjbAlto
Exactly what people said above. If you know anybody who owned a 300zx or even any Nissan in the past, you will hear the name Jim Wolf with it. Some of my friends were big on the 300zx's and all I heard from them was JWT. The APS is supposedly an awesome kit, but I'm waiting for the JWT. If you need to pass CARB then JWT is your kit. To me, APS is biting off more than they can chew. They jump from project to project and have been promising CARB EO since the kit came out and they just keep pushing it back. Now they found out their kit that they promised everybody who bought it would most definitely pass CARB, will not pass CARB. Apparently the original stock injectors, among other things have to be done to get CARB and APS didn't follow those rules. So now everybody who bought that kit thinking the CARB EO was following shortly is disappointed to say the least. APS's new dream is another kit they will release that will pass CARB. I'm honestly sick and tired of them jumping all over the place. Finish one thing first before you start another. I'm not an APS basher by any means, even though it sounds like it in my post. From what I heard, they make a great product. Although I hate that they can never admit a mistake. Their single turbo kit drops boost after a certain rpm and they claim they designed it like that. Yet they advertise full boost all the way across on the dyno sheet on their website. So then they come back saying that's ideal for what a turbo charged car should be. lol Come on. Anyway, I'm excited for the JWT kit and I can't wait for them to release it.
JWT has been in the Nissan biz for a long time , but they are far from a "large" company. JWT announced a CARB legal turbo kit well "before" APS even started marketing a Z33 kit. Big diff is that JWT has not "pre-sold" the kit prior to offical CARB cert and IMO has already lost a "huge" chunk of this market to APS and they aren't going to get it back. I firmly beleive that APS will eventually receive CARB approval , it's just goin to take as much time as it is still taking JWT to get past the board.

Also ,note that in Cali , you now have "6 years" before the first emmissions test is required on a post 2000 car. So they have a few years to get it together.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which FI System for California