Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Stillen Supercharger versus Vortech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Supercharger versus Vortech

I am looking to buy a S/C for my 04 g35 coupe and i am having a hard time making the right choice.I hear mix feeling about both these,but at the same time i hear alot of positive feedback on the stillen charge.I just want to get around 390hp at the wheel.I dont want to damage my engine at all.Please advise.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2005, 06:14 PM
You will not get 390 to the wheel with the stillen kit. Depending if you have a 6speed or auto you will probably hit up around 290-330hp to the wheels.
I have the stillen stage3, i'm finishing up a few things and I should be at just over 300 to the wheels when its done.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:15 PM
If you want 390whp Vortech is the way to go. Stillen isn't going to get you there.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:04 PM
If you want a warranty on your engine after installing the SC get the Stillen. I agree with the other two posts....if you want 390 at the wheels you'll have to go vortech. Also, keep in mind that you need to change your hood if you go with the Stillen since the SC sits up high in the engine bay.

sean

Old 09-10-2005, 11:16 AM
I haven't been keeping up with the Stillen but after you go above a certain stage I think they weren't covered under warranty.

I may be wrong, it's been awhile. Go with the vortech!

Just like socalsean said you will have to get the hood or the scoop and then paint! IMHO that 1 extra bubble on the hood makes it horrible to look at.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I researched the 2 and have decided to go vortech. Both have belt slippage issues that can be cured by using the right belt setup. There are discussions on this board about it. I think for the price, the vortech aint bad. I would like to try to max out the vortech with the upgraded pulleys and possibly use water injection to help cool down the charge even more. Main reason I wanna use WI is coz I have a 6MT sedan and the FMIC for the vortech doesnt get adequate air IMHO. I think I will use an aquamist stage 2 system and put 2 nozzles to help cool it down some more. The cost of a hood and paint alone justified the vortech. That stillen hood aint the prettiest girl in the classroom either

If you want all out power, the APS TT is the bad boy. But it costs a lot and more maintainence is required with a turbo. Just my 2 cents!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:44 PM
why supercharger? why not turbonetics st? just curious...

Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by jasperg35
why supercharger? why not turbonetics st? just curious...
turbo needs more tuning and maintainance...also more components involved. I have upgraded several cars with turbos and come to realize the best ones are those that came with factory turbos like the evo or WRX...I think at my stage in life - a SC is simplier and easier to work on. Others opinions may differ, this is purely mine!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sukhi
You will not get 390 to the wheel with the stillen kit. Depending if you have a 6speed or auto you will probably hit up around 290-330hp to the wheels.
I have the stillen stage3, i'm finishing up a few things and I should be at just over 300 to the wheels when its done.
Sukhi WHAT?! just over 300whp with Stillen Stage 3?!?!

Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhashilkar
I am looking to buy a S/C for my 04 g35 coupe and i am having a hard time making the right choice.I hear mix feeling about both these,but at the same time i hear alot of positive feedback on the stillen charge.I just want to get around 390hp at the wheel.I dont want to damage my engine at all.Please advise.

Thanks
If you live out in southern california go to the hooters meet in anaheim, I'm sure you will be able to see both examples. I have stillen stage 2 for warranty , reliability reasons, I love it. but if your a horsepower junkie and are gonna keep wanting more, stillen is probably not the way for you. hope to see you there.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
Sukhi WHAT?! just over 300whp with Stillen Stage 3?!?!

Yep thats right....

There are a number of reasons why the G35 Sedan Auto Sedan will not hit the same numbers as advertised...

1. lower horsepower output to begin with. ( my car dynoed 218 to the wheels prior to the install. Stillens 339whp stage 3 car dynoed close to 240whp before install)
2. More drivetrain loss compared to a 6MT
3. My car has a mechanical fan. This adds to the drivetrain loss.
4. My particular car had a fuel pressure problem...
5. There are things that manufacturers of these kits can do to come up with a horsepower number on the dyno that is higher than the average output of these kits....

Yesterday my problems were solved. Rob brought my car in right away after the Walbro 190lph fuel pump arrived. They swaped out the pump and then hooked up the consult, boost gauge, and wideband 02 sensor and took her for a test drive. The AF ratios were much much better. 11.7:1-12.0:1. The car also feels alot stronger. I'd be surprised if I am not over 300 now. Last night from a stop, I romped on it and I was loosing traction in all of 1st gear. I was never able to break them loose before in straight line acceleration from a stop. It has amazing acceleration from a stop. I'm happy at this point

This weekend I am going to do the Electric fan conversion that I purchased from Dave0. I'm expecting about 10 horses to be freed up.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Yep thats right....

There are a number of reasons why the G35 Sedan Auto Sedan will not hit the same numbers as advertised...

1. lower horsepower output to begin with. ( my car dynoed 218 to the wheels prior to the install. Stillens 339whp stage 3 car dynoed close to 240whp before install)
2. More drivetrain loss compared to a 6MT
3. My car has a mechanical fan. This adds to the drivetrain loss.
4. My particular car had a fuel pressure problem...
5. There are things that manufacturers of these kits can do to come up with a horsepower number on the dyno that is higher than the average output of these kits....

Yesterday my problems were solved. Rob brought my car in right away after the Walbro 190lph fuel pump arrived. They swaped out the pump and then hooked up the consult, boost gauge, and wideband 02 sensor and took her for a test drive. The AF ratios were much much better. 11.7:1-12.0:1. The car also feels alot stronger. I'd be surprised if I am not over 300 now. Last night from a stop, I romped on it and I was loosing traction in all of 1st gear. I was never able to break them loose before in straight line acceleration from a stop. It has amazing acceleration from a stop. I'm happy at this point

This weekend I am going to do the Electric fan conversion that I purchased from Dave0. I'm expecting about 10 horses to be freed up.

I have my 05AT with stage 2 dynoed at 283 whp...Is it Rob Fuller at ZCG that you mentioned?

Old 01-16-2006, 07:37 PM
yea. Rob@Zcargarage.

283 on a stage 2 pulley is about right for an auto. throw on a stage 3 pulley, its quite a bit more powerful.

how do you like it so far?

Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 PM
yea. Rob@Zcargarage.

283 on a stage 2 pulley is about right for an auto. throw on a stage 3 pulley, its quite a bit more powerful.

how do you like it so far?

It's awesome...my 1st experience with the supercharger... and then I kind of want more hp ...Is it easy to put on the stage 3 pulley by yourself ?

Old 01-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Yea its easy to change out the pulley. Easy access. You can have Zcar do it if you like they will charge 1/2 hr or so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Supercharger versus Vortech