Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Turbonetics Single Turbo kit - DONE RIGHT!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imalazeeass
is a fuel return system absolutely required? I figured this kit should be ok out the box
Absolutely not..the fuel system included in the regular kit has been doing the job just fine in my car for 10K + of hard driven miles. Now if you plan to turn up the boost and tune for that then I would think about it.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohhhhhhh. Now I understand what you were saying. You mean go with test pipes or something. I thought you meant you would stay with the stock cats. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the info thus far fellas...this is EXACTLY the type of thread i was hoping to create.

So far i think its clear that injectors and 1 step colder plugs are 2 things you need in addition to the Turbonetics Kit. Perhaps hi-flow cats (or not cats at all Miaplaya) is another, and a fuel return system is something to think about if you plan on tuning in the future.

What about turbo timer, boost controller, etc...

Old 10-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Jon, just so you know the Cat and/or Test Pipes option is an additional cost. I'm leaning towards this as well so I don't have to A. get rid of my exhaust or B. get a custom piece welded so I can keep it.

Keep the info flowing guys.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Here's a little list I came up with:

Turbonetics Single Turbo = 4550
Gauges: Boost = 120 EGT = 175 A/F Wideband = 400
AAM fuel return system = 1k Walbro pump = 90
440 injectors = 500
1 step colder plugs = 65
3 gauge cluster = 80
high flow cats = 400
labor = around 1k maybe

the total comes out to be 8380. Without the fuel return system = 7290. Prices based on forgedinternals.com

That's a lot of money! Any ideas about this setup? By the way, what does having EGT gauge do?

Last edited by imalazeeass; 10-13-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Honestly fellas unless your goal is over 430 RWHP I dont think you are going to need bigger injectors. A guy with a built motor is currently running 100% on his injectors at 435 RWHP at 14 PSI. Granted he is not finally tuned but that goes to show you that the 380cc injectors are ok. Although Turbonetics is going to be offering some 510s for a good price that also drop in and plug in. But initially the 380s will get you where you need to go...Also keep in mind that the Turbonetics kit replaces the stock cats with a crossover pipe. So if you did want a cat the cat is added on the downpipe from the turbo and there will only be one. Turbo timer I would recommend but is not necessary. Cost is about $100 for a nice one. Boost controller is absolutely not needed unless you plan to raise the boost significantly. So again to clairfy:

Injectors: Only is plans exceed 420-430 RWHP
Turbo Timer: a good addition but not required
Boost Controller: Not needed unless bigger boost is wanted.

Also keep in mind that the exhaust setup is completely altered with any single turbo kit. Essentially the kit comes with a crossover pipe which goes in place of the stock cats and feeds the turbo. So basically your y pipe and stock cats are replaced by a crossover pipe and a single downpipe. Check out the install istructions for the Z kit here to get you a better idea of the setup: http://members.***.net/turbonetics35...icsinstman.pdf

Old 10-13-2005, 01:53 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Honestly fellas unless your goal is over 430 RWHP I dont think you are going to need bigger injectors. A guy with a built motor is currently running 100% on his injectors at 435 RWHP at 14 PSI. Granted he is not finally tuned but that goes to show you that the 380cc injectors are ok. Although Turbonetics is going to be offering some 510s for a good price that also drop in and plug in. But initially the 380s will get you where you need to go...Also keep in mind that the Turbonetics kit replaces the stock cats with a crossover pipe. So if you did want a cat the cat is added on the downpipe from the turbo and there will only be one. Turbo timer I would recommend but is not necessary. Cost is about $100 for a nice one. Boost controller is absolutely not needed unless you plan to raise the boost significantly. So again to clairfy:

Injectors: Only is plans exceed 420-430 RWHP
Turbo Timer: a good addition but not required
Boost Controller: Not needed unless bigger boost is wanted.

Also keep in mind that the exhaust setup is completely altered with any single turbo kit. Essentially the kit comes with a crossover pipe which goes in place of the stock cats and feeds the turbo. So basically your y pipe and stock cats are replaced by a crossover pipe and a single downpipe. Check out the install istructions for the Z kit here to get you a better idea of the setup: http://members.***.net/turbonetics35...icsinstman.pdf
Okay, the 380 will work for now, but why not just build yourself a buffer and go with the 440's up front? Or even the 510's that TN is going to offer.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
Okay, the 380 will work for now, but why not just build yourself a buffer and go with the 440's up front? Or even the 510's that TN is going to offer.
Because you can defer some costs if you stick with the standard ones now...mainly for those who want to spread the cost out over a time period if they dont plan on going full tilt right away.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Are there any cut-away shots of the bottom of the car or the sides of the turbo? I'd like to see how the piping is run. I'm not feeling giving up my dual exhaust and not sure if 1 cat will pass emissions in NY.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:34 PM
sure check out the z install instructions here: http://members.***.net/turbonetics35...icsinstman.pdf

Old 10-13-2005, 04:50 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but can you clarify how the downpipe connects in laymens terms? Basically I wanna know how the plumbing goes from the stock exhaust manifolds to the Turbo and exhaust. For some reason I can't picture it.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Diesel1
This is probably a stupid question, but can you clarify how the downpipe connects in laymens terms? Basically I wanna know how the plumbing goes from the stock exhaust manifolds to the Turbo and exhaust. For some reason I can't picture it.

Thanks
Um...well the instructions in the link above may help more but here it goes... Both cats are removed...a pipe bolts to the passenger side header outlet...it goes across the tranny and merges into a pipe that starts going forward...that pipe has a merged feed that bolts onto the drivers side header...the now larger pipe with flow from both headers goes up to the front and feeds the turbo...from the turbo a downpipe comes out the back past the haders down past them and continues on under the car where it ends at the factory b pipe flange...now that I butchered that... check this : http://members.***.net/turbonetics35...icsinstman.pdf

Old 10-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The money you save on the injectors could be put toward a plenum also.

Quick question: Does the cat option replace your stock cats with hi-flow or does it add the one you're talking about and keep the stock cats? I'm not worried about emissions so which way should I go?

Last edited by Meatshackle; 10-13-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 PM
What would you add to the T'netics kit for AutoX/Track reliability?

Oil Cooler?
Upgraded Radiator?
Oil Pan with cooling fins?

Anything else?

Old 10-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by G35pm
What would you add to the T'netics kit for AutoX/Track reliability?

Oil Cooler?
Upgraded Radiator?
Oil Pan with cooling fins?

Anything else?
Prolly radiator, and oil cooler. I wouldnt go over board on the whole oil pan though if you get the oil cooler. Just maybe the JWT pan spacer..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo kit - DONE RIGHT!