Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

What are your options for Engine management system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your options for Engine management system

Hi,

Just wondering what you guys are running for engine management units? Looking for something that will let me play with the factory tune and tweak it as I add modifications. I have been able to find nothing so far. I mean what is the point of throwing on a turbo kit or other power adder and not being able to run above(10psi) or something like that. 420rwhp(@ ~8-10psi) or whatever TT kits make just ain't gonna cut it for me. If there is nothing you can do to tweak the factory computer and no one makes engine management system then I will probably get rid of the car in a while. Looking for something like LS1edit or SCT(tuning program for mustangs etc.)

Thanks, I am sure there is some form of engine management out there.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:10 PM
kel
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
hks v-con pro or utec

Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 AM
e-manage (blue and ultimate) - piggy back
split second - piggy back
unichip - piggy back
motec - complete stand alone

just a few more I thought of...

Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 PM
for me, it basically it comes down to the UTEC vs. eManage Ultimate....

either one will cost you the same amount, around $950-1100 all included (eManage is cheaper initially, but you need to buy a few harnesses and the AutoSport patch harness to make it "plug-and-play" if you don't wanna hack up your stock ECU harness... whereas the UTEC just plugs inline to the ECU). then of course you need to add the cost of the tuning by whatever shop you choose to work on it.

through my own research i have concluded that i will go with the UTEC, and the reason for this is very simple... [disclaimer: this is all IIRC from reading on the forums, no firsthand experience yet]

the eManage (like most piggyback style controllers) works by MODIFYING the signals being sent out my the ECU, thus "tricking" the ECU into doing what you want it to do. problem with this is, say you enter +2 timing at a certain RPM. this would give the motor "stock timing +2". since the stock timing can change, so can your values. for FI, this is a big no-no, as the stock ECU judiciously applying timing advance can grenade a motor in no time.

the UTEC has it's own injector and coil drivers, so when you enter a timing or fuel value in the UTEC software, it does EXACTLY that. the UTEC assumes full control of the fuel and ignition systems, firing them based entirely on the values you input. so, it basically takes over control of the engine from the stock ECU (in that respect it acts more like a standalone system than a piggyback). it also has the capability to store 5 maps in the memory, so you can have a "daily driver map", a 100 octane track map, etc. and switch between them whenever with the remote selector switch.

as mentioned above, the SS box and the UniChip are also valid alternatives that many FI kits use as a tuning system with good results. the UniChip is alittle tough as it's not user tuneable and you need to be near an authorized UniChip tuner. the HKS FCon is also an alternative but there are some issues with that system i believe (also need to goto an authorized HKS PRo tuner) such as issues with cruise control and other stock ECU functions if i remember right.

EDIT: one more thing.... you mentioned that 400whp at 8-10psi just isn't gonna cut it for you.... this has less to do with proper engine management as it does with the high compression nature of our VQ35 motor. even with the best engine management the VQ might not hold up if you slap on a FI kit and crank the boost past 10psi on the stock bottom end. most turbo kits DO come with some form of engine control computer mentioned above (APS includes UniChip, Vortech SC and SFR TT kit use SplitSecond box, HKS SC uses a form of the FCon, GReddy TT kit uses the eManage blue)

Last edited by SI_G35Coupe; 01-05-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe

either one will cost you the same amount, around $950-1100 all included (eManage is cheaper initially, but you need to buy a few harnesses and the AutoSport patch harness to make it "plug-and-play" if you don't wanna hack up your stock ECU harness... whereas the UTEC just plugs inline to the ECU). then of course you need to add the cost of the tuning by whatever shop you choose to work on it.

through my own research i have concluded that i will go with the UTEC, and the reason for this is very simple... [disclaimer: this is all IIRC from reading on the forums, no firsthand experience yet]

the eManage (like most piggyback style controllers) works by MODIFYING the signals being sent out my the ECU, thus "tricking" the ECU into doing what you want it to do. problem with this is, say you enter +2 timing at a certain RPM. this would give the motor "stock timing +2". since the stock timing can change, so can your values. for FI, this is a big no-no, as the stock ECU judiciously applying timing advance can grendate a motor in no time.

the UTEC has it's own injector and coil drivers, so when you enter a timing or fuel value in the UTEC software, it does EXACTLY that. the UTEC assumes full control of the fuel and ignition systems, firing them based entirely on the values you input. so, it basically takes over control of the engine from the stock ECU (in that respect it acts more like a standalone system than a piggyback). it also has the capability to store 5 maps in the memory, so you can have a "daily driver map", a 100 octane track map, etc. and switch between them whenever with the remote selector switch.

as mentioned above, the SS box and the UniChip are also valid alternatives that many FI kits use as a tuning system with good results. the UniChip is alittle tough as it's not user tuneable and you need to be near an authorized UniChip tuner. the HKS FCon is also an alternative but there are some issues with that system i believe (also need to goto an authorized HKS PRo tuner) such as issues with cruise control and other stock ECU functions if i remember right.

EDIT: one more thing.... you mentioned that 400whp at 8-10psi just isn't gonna cut it for you.... this has less to do with proper engine management as it does with the high compression nature of our VQ35 motor. even with the best engine management the VQ might not hold up if you slap on a FI kit and crank the boost past 10psi on the stock bottom end. most turbo kits DO come with some form of engine control computer mentioned above (APS includes UniChip, Vortech SC and SFR TT kit use SplitSecond box, HKS SC uses a form of the FCon, GReddy TT kit uses the eManage blue)
Thanks for the information. Is the company name UTEC? I meant 400rwhp, but I didn't say we are gonna leave the bottom end stock(My brother likes the look of the AEBS 4.3L stroker kit with 8.5:1 compression). 10:1 compression or whatever this motor runs is definately asking for trouble. We wanna do the stroker first at 8.5:1 compression and run the car like this for a while to break the motor in then buy a good TT setup or single and boost the car good(18psi or so for street and whatever we can run for a kill(race) setting).

Again I appreciate the input on the UTEC.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Serengettisandg
(My brother likes the look of the AEBS 4.3L stroker kit with 8.5:1 compression).
Now I'M talking from memory... but it seems I remember that the stroker kit requires a lot of mods to the internal structure of the block/bottom end... some of which weakens these structures. It may not be the best bet for super-high boost numbers... compared to a sleeved 3.5 block. Just something to look into if your long term goal is high boost.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Agreed. Ask GurgenPB about sunk sleeves. You can go with the Darton Sleeves and have them sleeve it and they will give a warantee against leaks. You can go up to a 100mm piston which will make it a 3.8L. Here is a link to the Darton MID kit and they can set you up with Darton to sleeve it which will cost another $1000. Forged Internals also stocks the Cosworth headgaskets in different sizes depending on your bore.
http://www.forgedinternals.com/store...cat=264&page=1
Originally Posted by trebien
Now I'M talking from memory... but it seems I remember that the stroker kit requires a lot of mods to the internal structure of the block/bottom end... some of which weakens these structures. It may not be the best bet for super-high boost numbers... compared to a sleeved 3.5 block. Just something to look into if your long term goal is high boost.

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Cool thanks. I was kinda thinking it would have to get sleeved anyways being that big of a displacement increase. Maybe we will keep the cubes down and just boost it, but for everyday driving at 18psi it might be nice to have the extra inches at disposal.

Do you happen to know off hand what they had to do to make the stroker work? I would assume just clearance the block a bit for the crank throws and rods so they clear the pan rail(my guess) We had to do this on my 383ci SBC when we built that. I wouldn't even mind assembling the motor for my brother if clearance and such can be found in books.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:07 AM
the name of the company is TurboXS... www.turboxs.com.

you can purchase them thru several vendors on G35Driver, including MRC Motorsports (racemrc.com), Forged Internals (forgedinternals.com) Z1 Auto (z1auto.com), and Altered Atmosphere (alteredatmosphere.com)

Old 12-23-2005, 07:13 PM
I'll be testing the Utech on my X next week. If it works I'm going FI.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Never enough
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe

the eManage (like most piggyback style controllers) works by MODIFYING the signals being sent out my the ECU, thus "tricking" the ECU into doing what you want it to do. problem with this is, say you enter +2 timing at a certain RPM. this would give the motor "stock timing +2". since the stock timing can change, so can your values. for FI, this is a big no-no, as the stock ECU judiciously applying timing advance can grendate a motor in no time.

Nice breakdown. In time I will buy the Utech for the Greddy car.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Be prepared to blow your engine running 20 lbs of boost without building the motor. I wouldn't even go higher than 6.5 pounds of boost on my G. I have the Greddy E-manage that came with my turbo kit. I think its fantastic.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:05 PM
HKS F-Con gets my vote.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mark350GT
Be prepared to blow your engine running 20 lbs of boost without building the motor. I wouldn't even go higher than 6.5 pounds of boost on my G. I have the Greddy E-manage that came with my turbo kit. I think its fantastic.
Yeah, I kinda think the stock pistons might have collapsed skirts at those levels. However with a built motor is anyone pushing these kinda boost levels yet? Linda curious what this little motor will put out for hp/tq at some elevated boost levels.