Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

HKS Rotrex vs. Vortech Centrifugal Differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I thought the question initialy asked in this post was what are the differences in these two systems

The first I would point to is money, the Vortech can be bought for 4100 on a GB and 4300 without a GB. The HKS is 6000+ the last time I looked.

The second is the power, I got 348awhp out of the box and untuned, with a tune I got 377awhp. Now the HKS even with a tune is only pushing 303awhp.

Both systems are tunable so I am not going to argue that but I do know that there are more people who can tune the SS system at the present time.

The upgrades for the Vortech are out there and easy to do, I have not heard of any upgrades for the HKS system yet.

I think I will stick to my system as I know for a fact it produces more power and is quicker,I raced Calimarc and he has the APS TT which produces 470awhp and I kept up pretty well against him. I don't think my rpms have ever dropped below 3000rpm when shifting so you may need to adjust them calculations a little.

The jury may be in for you but I doubt you will have many others who think that the HKS system is superior. At the end of the day awhp is awhp and no matter how it gets to the ground or in what gear it does it in.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urban
I thought the question initialy asked in this post was what are the differences in these two systems

The first I would point to is money, the Vortech can be bought for 4100 on a GB and 4300 without a GB. The HKS is 6000+ the last time I looked.

The second is the power, I got 348awhp out of the box and untuned, with a tune I got 377awhp. Now the HKS even with a tune is only pushing 303awhp.

Both systems are tunable so I am not going to argue that but I do know that there are more people who can tune the SS system at the present time.

The upgrades for the Vortech are out there and easy to do, I have not heard of any upgrades for the HKS system yet.

I think I will stick to my system as I know for a fact it produces more power and is quicker,I raced Calimarc and he has the APS TT which produces 470awhp and I kept up pretty well against him. I don't think my rpms have ever dropped below 3000rpm when shifting so you may need to adjust them calculations a little.

The jury may be in for you but I doubt you will have many others who think that the HKS system is superior. At the end of the day awhp is awhp and no matter how it gets to the ground or in what gear it does it in.
AWHP = all-wheel HP? Don't you mean RWHP?

Old 01-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
oopps sorry I get mixed up as I have a 3000gtVR4 also...lol and that is awhp

Old 01-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned
Quote from Peter at APS

A Z car with higher peak power (approx 80 whp at peak) imho will run a much higher MPH over the 1/4 mile in the hands of an expereinced driver, the vortech with 400 whp will be faster (much higher MPH) over the 1/4 mile than the hks at 320 WHP. That's not to say that the hks is not the better daily driver with more averaged power across the entire rpm range.

Peter

Old 01-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned
another

That does not surprise me at all as I'm sure the hks would have superior low to mid rpm power and torque, (though that's not how you drive over the 1/4 mile) I still reckon that a genuine 400 whp centrifugal SC would be faster than the hks with 328 whp over the 1320 feet with an experienced driver, just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned
Basicly when shifting , your only dropping down to say around 4500rpm . So the race will be ran at that rpm range 4500 to 6800...7200rpm . where Vortech SC has more trq and hp . Equal drivers..the HKS jumps off the line..and gets passed before the 1/4 mile mark

Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned
NijaZ ...This all started because you [ on another forum ] Lied about the HKS you have in your car .

You said your made full boost at 3000rpm

You said you made 367whp out of the box . When you made 303whp . You sprayed the IC to get 367 . But didnt tell any one that until it was proven with a video . Now you claim 328whp

You may or may not ran a 12.89 with a 2.2 60ft @ 110mph . But I doubt it . As I saw you run a 13.01 @110mph on video .

you had to bring all your buddies in and any one else you could to try to take away the attention of you telling lie's about the HKS kit in your car.

YOU LIED...OWN UP TO IT AND MOVE ON .

I complemented you on your car . I said the HKS is a nice kit .

Your putting way to much work into trying to make your lie's as little as possible . Instead of just owning up to it . All you have done was try to insult me [ it aint working ] to take away the fact you got owned on several lies .That you still havent tried to explain or talk about.

I'll say it again...Have fun in life !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by booger
I really think the intake temps would be to high . Now if you sprayed water& methenol . You could see some high psi levels with it . I did have a boost sensor hooked up at the blower at one time , when I first got my kit . I was making 7.2 psi at the plenum and 11psi at the end of the blower . I did get up to 13.5psi and I would think the psi at the blower would be around 20psi . Ive got a BIG A$$ IC going in now . [31+12+4] with 3 inch out to the thottle body . I'll see what I can make with it soon

I think the biggest reason Mustang guys got by with out an IC is , they didnt have that high of compression pistons . With 10.3 to 1 comp. in our cars an IC is a must , or you wouldnt be able to run any thing above 5psi

Wow.. a 4 psi drop across the intercooler and piping is pretty bad! If that is the case, you certainly wouldn't want to run 11 psi without an intercooler. My thought was that if it is only 6-7 psi, you would probably see an advantage without the intercooler.

I hope your intercooler design works out well!!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the informative posts!

I just wanted to get an idea of how each charger put its power to the ground and what that power translates in performance on the streets/dragstrip.

It's obvious to see the differences between a roots vs. centrifugal, but I had no idea if the rotrex was any different to the powerband of a vortech.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jasonlee4180
Thanks for all the informative posts!

I just wanted to get an idea of how each charger put its power to the ground and what that power translates in performance on the streets/dragstrip.

It's obvious to see the differences between a roots vs. centrifugal, but I had no idea if the rotrex was any different to the powerband of a vortech.
Centrifugal SC's are just like a turbo , but driven with a belt instead of the exhaust . A Smaller SC will peak faster . but will run out of power up top . A bigger SC will peak slower and have much more power up top

Last edited by booger; 01-27-2006 at 08:54 AM.