Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech boost question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Vortech boost question

Well I have had the Vortech for awhile now and upgraded to a 3.12 pulley and a few other things. I had the car dynoed today for tuning purposes due to switching from the SS box to the Unichip software and noticed that at 9psi at the very top end of the rpm band I was getting some pinging even with the timing retarded and extra fuel added. Is there anything I can do besides running higher octane or going with the aquamist system, what would a larger FMIC do? would it help.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay tuned for my water injection system to solve such problems.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by urban
Well I have had the Vortech for awhile now and upgraded to a 3.12 pulley and a few other things. I had the car dynoed today for tuning purposes due to switching from the SS box to the Unichip software and noticed that at 9psi at the very top end of the rpm band I was getting some pinging even with the timing retarded and extra fuel added. Is there anything I can do besides running higher octane or going with the aquamist system, what would a larger FMIC do? would it help.
Any help would be appreciated.
How do you know you were pinging ? From what Ive heard , you cant hear it in our motor . You need to pull more timing . Is your motor built ? Doesnt sound like it . I wouldnt go less than pulling 7 degree's up top with a stock motor

Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 AM
booger you can actually hear it pinging slightly and the graph goes kind of squiggly when it happens, yes this is on a stock block and we have pulled 7 degrees of timing on top of what the stock system pulls which I think is 5, so we are pulling around 12 degrees.
That is also where it stops to make more power due to the timing being pulled. I just wish we didn't have 91 octane as our premium over here.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by urban
booger you can actually hear it pinging slightly and the graph goes kind of squiggly when it happens, yes this is on a stock block and we have pulled 7 degrees of timing on top of what the stock system pulls which I think is 5, so we are pulling around 12 degrees.
That is also where it stops to make more power due to the timing being pulled. I just wish we didn't have 91 octane as our premium over here.
Every time Ive datalogged timing . The ECU , at WOT will go to 22 degree's advance , and pretty much stays there . If it see's every thing is okay it will advance the timing 2 to 4 degree's some where pasted 6000 to 6500rpm . On your car , you are seeing the ECU pull an additional 5 degree's over normal then . I would think some thing else is going on . Maybe its just the winter blend gas .
I had a simular problem [ not pinging ] but the ECU was pulling much more timing than it should have been . It was the wiring of my SS box . That may be some thing to check with the Unichip

Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the info, it looks like my car maybe learning a new system also so I may just give it a little time to relearn and create a new map.

booger I was checking you post on my350z about the IVEX FMIC and you listed a place that was cheaper to purchase it but the link does not work, could you let me know how to contact the supplier as I am in the process of upgrading a few things.

One last thing, I understand you dropped your compression to 9:1 is that correct?, I may be dropping mine to handle the extra hp I will be planning on adding this year.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned
I was at 9 to 1 with the first built motor . Im at 8.5 to 1 now .

www.rabidperformance.com John Isbell

Or you can go to www.icevex.com I believe a link to johns web site is on thier web site . He is in Texas

Old 02-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks

Old 02-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you using an intercooler to correct [reduce] air temp rise [9psi = ~~100F^]...........not good with winter fuel blend. Summer not much better.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Are you using an intercooler to correct [reduce] air temp rise [9psi = ~~100F^]...........not good with winter fuel blend. Summer not much better.
Well I do not have winter fuel blend, whatever that is, I use the same fuel all the year round 91 octane here in Cali. but I am trying to reduce air temp. is that supposed to be a bad thing as I thought it was better to lower the temp of air coming in. I know that may mean higher boost but on a 3.12 pulley it should not go beyond a certain psi.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
The vortech kit uses an intercooler, but some water injection would eliminate the pinging and add some safety margin.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned
There are plenty of SC guys , Vortech or other wise . At 9psi and better with no detonation . I would think there is some thing else going on . W/M injection would just mask the problem that is there

Old 02-16-2006, 12:20 AM
At $2000 for the w/m injection system, I think I will look into other things first. I took it out for a run with some new fresh gas and hit 9.5 at 6800 rpm which is pretty decent, did not hear any pinging so it may be fine but in the back of my mind I will still be worried so I am planning ahead and hopefully try and find a way to make the car safer.
Thanks to all that posted.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 AM
$2000?!?! That's ridiculous. This is exactly why I'm building a kit. FYI, I wouldn't run methanol, just straight water, unless you're maxing out your fuel injection capability and need extra fuel.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even with intercooler what is the plenum inside air temperature at 9 psi boost?

Pump Octane ratings are measured in a special low tech test engine at cool temperatures [inside lab 72F]..........they mean nothing in a modern supercharged engine.

Simple to test, try a tank of 100+ octane unleaded racing fuel........knock goes away = fuel and compressed air temperature problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vortech boost question