Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

UTEC in a G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
UTEC in a G?

Has anyone successfully installed a Utec in a G35?

I have one, and started the install today and for the life of me could not get it to fit right.

The Utec is intended to mount in a Z, and the Z's mounting bracket configuration is completely different. In fact, there isn't even enough room between the stock ECU and the heater box for the Utec to sit.

Also, the harnesses on the Utec are only about 5" long, not giving you many options. I was able to flip it around and mount it on the back of the stock ECU plate, but then the stock ECU harness needed to be reversed (not too big of a deal) but I don't think the glove box is going to go back on! I spent about 6 hours today messing with this and couldn't get a thing figured out!!!

Anyone have better luck?

Old 04-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my UTEC installed and it fitted fine...i would email/call Jermaine @ turboXS for some detailed instruction (keep in mind that he won't be in until Wed.).

Old 04-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
plz post your findings - looking to get this unit also. presumably a longer harness is required to allow more flexibility? It could even go under the carpet then...

Old 04-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Banned
I wouldn't want to mount it under the carpet, as its a pretty big unit. Its easily 4x larger then the Unichip it replaced.

My final solution was to hack off every mounting post that was involved in the install (3 on the OEM bracket and 4 on the UTEC). I then disassembled the UTEC unit and used a cut off wheel to remove the mounting tab (leaving a big square metal box). I put it all back together and attached the UTEC to the OEM ECU bracket where the OEM ECU is supposed to go. I then attached the OEM ECU to the back of the OEM ECU bracket. The OEM ECU has to sit just perfect to allow the glove box and lower dash piece to go back on. If the UTEC was just a bit smaller everything would have been MUCH easier.

I got everything installed and am now waiting to get everything tuned!

Old 04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Can you just take the PCB out of the "the box" and put it into a smaller enclosure? Or is the board inside really that big?

Any pics?

Old 04-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned
The board is the same size as the box, although it is obviously much thinner. I wouldn't want a bare PCB under my dash though! I don't have any pics of it, I didn't have my camera with me when I was installing everything, sorry.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think MRC was working on making a bracket for it. Shoot em a PM and see what they were able to come up with.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Subscribing........

Old 04-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of their setup, I'm getting sick of seeing the bottom of my utec sticking out from under the glove box..... btw I just did it the same way it said in the manual for the z, but then cut off the lower half of the stock bracket so it would fit....

Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned
I refused to cut the bottom of the bracket because it helps support the underdash piece. I got mine all back together, with the lower dash piece back on. You can't see any part of it at all.

But, like I said, I had to grind off all the mounting posts and basically start from scratch. Man, that UTEC is HUGE.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin, how is your G running with the UTEC? Any complaints or kudos on the UTEC? Thanks.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned
I made a 'review' thread about my initial impression of the Utec. I like the control it offers, and I think it will be a great tool for making my car run right. Its not completely tuned yet, so there will be more to come.

For the price I paid for it I think there are areas that can be better (appearance stuff).

Old 05-22-2006, 03:46 AM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
how did you install it, i tried to install mine this morning and i thought the Utec comes with stock map, but when i turned on my engine it's sound like V8 with cams. The big problem that there is no place where you can put them on togeather and i have the Turner pro too but i don't know how to install it.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:09 AM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
And i don't know how to connect the map switch.. please tell me how! Here are some pictures to help me and other members.

Utec attched to the ECU

And here is my Tuner Pro..!

This is the Map Switch wires!! Where should i plug it in the Utec!?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
hey man, those two wires right there with the clips on them are for a clutch switch on the evos. i just taped them up to make sure they didnt contact anything and tucked them away.

i think they are ground switches so it doesnt even matter if you tape them. the red and black wires are for the spare solenoid and they dont do anything unless you are using that for some reason (nitrous)

just plug the white clip in and you are all done. make sure you have the dial switch on the actual utec on 0 and then you are ready to go. the dashboard actually will tell you what map you are on

the reason your car sounded like a V8 is cause it was on a map with no values plugged into it. i accidently hit my map switch with my elbow and my car ran like that for a while till we figured out.

good luck!!

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 05-22-2006 at 06:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UTEC in a G?