Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

About tune.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meatbag
All you have to do is use the search button. my350z.com will have plenty of posts on the subject too.
Here is a poll on blown motors. Greddy = 36 and APS= 13.....keep in mind that greddy has sold many more kits than APS.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...=125626&page=6

Old 04-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by sentry65
Thanks for the thread... but if the stock ECU does that... my original question is still goes unanswered. And this is a PIGGYBACK problem, so it will carry across irregardless of what type of kit an owner decides to get. Also, has anyone logged enough information to know EXACTLY what is causing the motors to blow? Ignition advance because the ECU signal is being tricked? Theories are nice and all... but if there is no data to support a claim... it's still a rumor mill to me.

Originally Posted by sentry65
I do believe the APS tune is safer than the base greddy tune if that's what you're asking. The Greddy TT kit was the 1st FI kit on the market. It was out shortly after the Z was out. IMO they rushed to the market and skimped a few things just to be the first one. We all know how shady Greddy is with fixing bugs and updating things.

as far as stories about the greddy blowing up motors? I dunno, I'm not going to hold your hand - consider me nice enough to even bother responding to you in the first place and reporting on what I've learned over 2 years on the forums - it's not like I'm buying a greddy TT or anything

the APS TT kit blew up 3 motors during the last 2 weeks, guess the APS kits have crap tunes then by that logic. Crap happens. APS has had 4 publicly reported blown up TT kits that I know of in the last year and a half. I can't even recall how many Greddy kits have blown up. Back when the Z was brand new, people were not going boost crazy. Most were using stock boost levels and still blowing up. Meanwhile there's been guys running 550rwhp on the APS TT kit with no problems - until he misshifted and that did the engine in

The Greddy has dramatically less safety precautions put into it compared to the APS kit. You gotta solve those issues yourself. If you wanna get the greddy and go for it, do it dude. With the stock greddy kit I'd actually say there's a 50/50 chance you'll blow the engine in the next 2-3 years even on a proper tune - maybe that's just me spreading rumors, but you maybe haven't been around when every other week another guy posted a thread about their blown up engine with the greddy kit. It wasn't until people started buying other kits or making the greddy kit safer that the kit started not blowing up as much.

Is there concrete evidence that the base greddy kit with base tune will blow up the engine? If you looked long enough you'll find it, but wouldn't you agree that there certainly is at least enough evidence of people having problems that the greddy TT kit is one of the more risky kits compared to some of the others?

It's your engine, don't let me stop you from getting the greddy, but just know the issues that people think are the cause of it killing so many engines
I don't need someone to hold my hand... I need someone that can provide me with solid proof that the stock GReddy Turbo kit with the stock basemap utilizing wastegate boost(no boost controller) has blown up a motor. You can go on and on about the odds are and ask me to look at thread where people have cranked up the boost and blown their motors because they weren't careful... but that's not what I'm asking.

The reason for the fewer number of APS kits blowing motors is probably just because there are fewer people running the kits out there... there are different reasons that could explain the numbers... and only a few would point to build quality of the kit.

If what you are saying about the stock ECU is true... then ANY kit that has a piggyback module will have this 'magical' problem. If no one cares to find out the true reason... then fine. This is all I had to say.

Gman,
Yes, I've seen that poll and I filtered through ALL the FI threads on my350z... but thanks for posting that link.

Simple question still doesn't have a simple answer:
Will the BOLT-ON GReddy turbo kit utilizing stock wastegate pressure(NO boost controller), blow a stock G35/350Z motor... given the installation was done properly?

I really like how everyone says to use search... the reason why I'm still going at this is because there has yet to be any credible evidence to support this 'hype'.

I don't care about all the stories about people that have blown their motors due to inching up the boost improperly without proper logging or sensors/gauges. I want to know about the bolt-on kit and why this rumor is here. I'm sure GReddy wouldn't like this image... neither would APS or any other vendor out there.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by pacman3000gt
Simple question still doesn't have a simple answer:
Will the BOLT-ON GReddy turbo kit utilizing stock wastegate pressure(NO boost controller), blow a stock G35/350Z motor... given the installation was done properly?
I would say it's a crap shoot. There are people running the stock greddy with no problems and others that have blown. If you want to run the kit out of the box safely the only thing you really need, provided you don't turn up the boost, is to add an ignition harness so that you can retard timing a little. The tune greddy gives you out of the box is pretty rich, but it does not address timing. The ignition harness for the emanage is only $45. Without retarding the timing you will be running the OEM timing which is up to 22-23 degrees advanced.....way to much for FI.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:23 PM
For the people that said they have blown their motors with the stock wastegate pressure... is there validity in their claim? What I wanted to see is some proof that someone 'sincerely'(I know... this is the internet) can say they utilized the stock setup and blew their motor, without playing with the boost.

Ignition timing... yes... I'll take care of that for sure. It seems the stock internals(or ECU) don't handle the knock very well.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 PM
short answer is "possibly"

If what you are saying about the stock ECU is true... then ANY kit that has a piggyback module will have this 'magical' problem
that is correct.

The only piggybacks that offer true target A/F are the emanage ultimate and UTEC. Otherwise you're looking at a standalone

Last edited by sentry65; 04-24-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:01 AM
One of the biggest limitations of the stock Greddy kit is lack of a return fuel system, rising rate FPR, and timing solution. If you address these, and also get the shielded crank angle sensor, I "think" you can run the car safely at 8.5psi. There are many of us on the boards that have done this already. I am still leaning towards poor tuning, and lack of a shielded crank angle cable, as the cause of most of the Greddy failures.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
pacman = teh ghey

IvoryGT-V = teh ghey #2

robzone = no bueno

Old 05-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hahahahah