Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Going FI, but can't make up mind. WHICH ONE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going FI, but can't make up mind. WHICH ONE

After reading several hours of threads, it seems the kit I'm looking for is the Turbonetics ST or Vortech(no surprise). I've spent a few hours talking w/ the guys at the local tuning shop and still have not been swayed one way or the other. They seem to be equal in reliability, cost about the same and deliver similar HP. I have not had the opportunity to hear a Vortech in persons, so can't decide based on noise. I don't plan on doing an engine build or a bunch of other upgrades except for gauges. Whatever mod I get, I need to be safe as this is my daily driver. I'm not considering other kits, only these two. Any additional insight or opinions are appreciated. I have already set aside the funds, I just need to make a decision.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go Vortech.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:55 PM
this is a tough choice IMO and both kits are very different from each other.

I think think the vortech is the safer of the two though. I'd never trust an ECU flash by itself that the TN kit comes with especially since you're not going to be buying gauges.

I'd get the vortech, have it custom tuned on the dyno and be done with it. With the TN, you better know what you're doing and get some gauges or get some sort of piggyback that you can have a tuner tune.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I will be getting gauges with whichever kit I decide to get.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I see you are in Charlotte. Give Sharif a call and he will be happy to discuss with you. forgedinternals.com

Old 05-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Both are great kits. Turbonetics tuner kit with Utec could be an option. First find a reliable experienced shop for your FI install. Sharif at forgedinternals would be a great choice.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Are they located in Charlotte? I was planning on using CPRacing.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:17 PM
I would speak with Sharif, he's in Charlotte. I spoke with him some at HIN last Sat. He has a wealth of knolwedge of the platform. I was impressed, turbo may be my route way down the road. My G is still a virgin with 750 miles on the clock
http://www.forgedinternals.com

Old 05-16-2006, 11:18 PM
since you got 6MT go with the ST !!!

Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Devil's Advocate
Aftering seeing all of the problems that SC guys have with belts at track days there's no way I'd go the SC route. And I was a big SC fan. I love the linear powerband.

Go with the twin turbos, they cost a little more initially, but in the long run I think that they'll make you much happier. The single is ok too, but it might not satisfy as your boost addiction grows... and it will grow.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I think both are great choices and both are a different kind of performance. The turbo kit would be the way I would go if I didn't live in Cali but well that's another story.
Sharif is a great guy, that is where I am purchasing my built engine along with a few other things.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what kind of power are you looking to get?

Old 05-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by 03 6MT
They seem to be equal in reliability, cost about the same and deliver similar HP.
They are not the same HP or at least the feel. Turbo will give you almost all the power when it boost, so you'll have most of the tq right away on boost. Vortech is more linear and you won't get all the hp/tq until you're above 4-5k RPM. But because of that sudden rush of Tq on Turbo's, it gives you that nice feel but can also be a little hard on the engine, try to drive both and you'll find out that they are not the same even if both have 380whp. Oh, Turbo will always give you higher TQ than any SC out there. When you consider reliability, I don't care what people say but SC will always be more reliable, just carry an extra belt and tools and you'll be ok. Turbo has so many parts that can leak and go bad so it's harder to troubleshoot and can cost you $$.

Last edited by FI'ed G; 05-17-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Take it from someone who had a vortech and sold it to go turbo. Go turbo! The vortech is way to linear for my taste and does not sink you in the seat like a turbo.

I recommend you drive in both a ST and SC G35 and make up your own mind. I am willing to put money down that you will go with the ST.

Go on my 350z and start a thread for FI NC drivers and see if you can meet up to think a spin. I am sure you can find both a ST and SC Z or G.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Did you consider the HKS SC? I don't know too much about it, but I hear it is a self contained unit with no need for oil feed and return lines. I could not find the unit on their website, so I don't even know if it is still available. Just thought it might be another option for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going FI, but can't make up mind. WHICH ONE