Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

G37tt awd convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
G37TT convertible? No, its never going to happen. That is rediculous.

While nissan is at it why not a g56TTT hardtop convertible.

-Sean
Don't you mean the G56TTHDCVT (5.6L V8 Twin-Turbo Hybrid Diesel CVT) due out in 2011.5?

But seriously... I agree with the above posts about Infiniti needing an M3-fighter, and I'd bet it's not an up-rated G37 Coupe that's going to fill that bill. Nissan has hinted at an Infiniti-badged GT-R may be in the works, which I think will be the smart move for them.

Nissan doesn't need more G-series R&D $s spent to fight the M3... they only need to up the production on the GT-R and upscale its interior a bit.

Maybe an Infiniti coupe a line-up like this...
$30-40K Infiniti small-RWD-coupe (vs. BMW 1-series)
$40-50K Infiniti G37 (vs. BMW 3-series
$70-90K Infiniti GT-R (vs. BMW M3, Audi S5/RS5)
And a Nissan coupe line-up like this...
$20-30K Nissan Altima Coupe (vs. Honda Accord Coupe, Toyota Solara, etc.)
$30-40K Nissan 350Z (vs. Ford Mustang GT, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, etc.)
$60-80K Nissan GT-R (vs. Porsche 911, Chevy 'Vette)

Last edited by 350Zed; 06-22-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
With the high price and limited numbers of the R35s giving owners exclusivity, not to mention the thing was literally built on the track, I don't think so.

A G37tt would just be a nice, fast coupe for everybody else who wants an R35 but can't exactly get their hands on one or just can't afford a 80k+ track car.

This isn't like Honda putting a better engine in their lighter, cheaper, better handling, similarly equipped Civic Si than the engine in Acura's RSX... a G37 will never be able to cut into GTR sales no matter what they put in the car until they build, and test it at a track...
Its hard to say, but if not that, what is the reason they are not making a G37TT? Why make the GTR a Nis over Inf? I think it has to do with the idea of maintaining division between the luxury brand and a lower level like Nis. The 350 vs. G35 was a good example here. Even the showroom manager i just spoke to thought the GTR should have been in his lot but agreed with the logic of keeping a non luxury sports car in the Nis brand.

Why make a hardtop vert AND a 3rd G37 model ('09 AWD) before making a TT? i would very much like to see 1 made, but what is holding them back at this point, 3 G37's hit the street in 3 years, that is a lot of car to produce and launch, but waiting until 2010 seems a long time to delay a TT, it could still happen i suppose but i am not convinced it will.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
Its hard to say, but if not that, what is the reason they are not making a G37TT? Why make the GTR a Nis over Inf? I think it has to do with the idea of maintaining division between the luxury brand and a lower level like Nis. The 350 vs. G35 was a good example here. Even the showroom manager i just spoke to thought the GTR should have been in his lot but agreed with the logic of keeping a non luxury sports car in the Nis brand.

Why make a hardtop vert AND a 3rd G37 model ('09 AWD) before making a TT? i would very much like to see 1 made, but what is holding them back at this point, 3 G37's hit the street in 3 years, that is a lot of car to produce and launch, but waiting until 2010 seems a long time to delay a TT, it could still happen i suppose but i am not convinced it will.
I think they should skip the AWD and just produce a rwd tt instead... hell, why not give a new G a sport model with a tuned down GTR motor with rwd? That would be similar to them offering a tuned down VQ motor in other cheaper fwd Nissan platforms... and since they're already producing the motor, it wouldn't cost as much to produce...

Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Remember that part of Nissan/Infiniti's profitability strategy is engine-sharing between models.

The standard V6's are the VQ35 and VQ37. The GT-R's VR38TT is a special case (a la, BMW M or MB AMG).

There is no current or announced turbocharged VQ, so a VQ37TT seems unlikely. It would fill a slot already taken by Nissan/Infiniti's varies V8 engine offerings.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
I think they should skip the AWD and just produce a rwd tt instead... hell, why not give a new G a sport model with a tuned down GTR motor with rwd? That would be similar to them offering a tuned down VQ motor in other cheaper fwd Nissan platforms... and since they're already producing the motor, it wouldn't cost as much to produce...
The G37 AWD has already been announced publicly (no TT here)...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=122416

As has the G37 Coupe Convertible (no TT here either)...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126282

And the Infiniti-badged GT-R is being considered...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/n...infiniti-gt-r/

Don't get your hopes up for anything else. Nissan is now focusing on two market segments:

- revival of the Infiniti Q vs. BMW 7-series
- introduction of a new Infiniti small-coupe vs. BMW 1-series

EOT

Last edited by 350Zed; 06-22-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by 350Zed
And the Infiniti-badged GT-R is being considered...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/n...infiniti-gt-r/

Don't get your hopes up for anything else. Nissan is now focusing on two market segments:

- revival of the Infiniti Q vs. BMW 7-series
- introduction of a new Infiniti small-coupe vs. BMW 1-series

EOT
I wouldn't care for an Infiniti badged GTR... it's going to be way too expensive...

But a new Q sounds good. I always loved the Q, but the last model absolutely sucked. The only thing I liked about it was the gatling gun projectors. If they could give the Q back some life like the first gen instead of the last one, then I think they'd have a hit again... Please don't make this one ugly and slow! But do they have a decent V8 for it? IMO, Acura's flagship really isn't that great mainly because they just don't produce large engines, and I hope Infiniti won't do the same by using a lesser motor in their flagship.

Last edited by dofu; 06-22-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Remember that part of Nissan/Infiniti's profitability strategy is engine-sharing between models.

Right, but at the same time, they would do well to keep chasing the BMW 3 family as a prime target with the 35 sedan and 37 coupe family . Also already part of their main branding strategy for years. So if they have the 37 to fight the 335, the vert and the AWD now come in line next year to continue to offer models the 335 has, and like you pointed out the 1 series may be a good model to also place a car into, I would think a G37 TT would come out before an Infiniti GT-R.

It seems today, with the GT-R going with the Nis badge, they want to keep hardcore speed machines away from the Lux brand, but now we see a revival of NSX coming, a Lexus "Fast" model on the horizion, since they already have the platform with the 37, it would be just as easy to make it a TT then come up with a detuned GT-R with leather and heated seats.

It will be interesting to watch either way, depending on pricing and when I can finally walk into a dealer personally to buy a new sports car; i would look very hard at both potential models- as long as it was a true 6 MT. No paddles for my sports car no matter what I end up buying.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nissan and Infiniti need to keep their brands separate. Why would someone spend 10-15% more on an Infiniti GT-R when they could get the Nissan one for cheaper? Not to mention that Nissan has doubled the amount of money (most likely more than that) to try and lure customers to an already exclusive market. On top of that, they still have another car to sell now.

It doesn't make any sense financially. Why create cross-competition? That's what hurt Audi in the early 2000s when the VW Passat started stealing sales from the A6. GM has been screwing themselves for the past couple of decades on cars that are nearly identical from marque to marque.

As for the OP, why would you want that much crap in a convertible? Buy a first gen Miata, turbo it and have much more fun in it than you ever could in a 2 ton, flexy, G35 vert.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
It doesn't make any sense financially. Why create cross-competition? That's what hurt Audi in the early 2000s when the VW Passat started stealing sales from the A6. GM has been screwing themselves for the past couple of decades on cars that are nearly identical from marque to marque.
Adding an Infiniti GT-R to the line-up will not cannibalize Nissan GT-R sales. Keep in mind that the Nissan GT-R has a VERY limited production run planned, and Nissan will sell every one they make.

What I'm hoping for (likely in vain) is a Lexus IS-F / Merc C63 AMG / BMW M3 sedan / Audi RS4 fighter, i.e., a hardcore G-based Sedan with a V8 engine.

That said, I'll put $100 up right now against Infiniti offering a twin-turbo G Coupe in the near future (5 years). Nissan's plans revolve mostly around normally-aspirated engines and weight reduction.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:04 PM
As for the OP, why would you want that much crap in a convertible? Buy a first gen Miata, turbo it and have much more fun in it than you ever could in a 2 ton, flexy, G35 vert.
lol!

i wasn't serious when i mentioned this... it was my 'wish'.

i'm already looking to 'upgrade' my g (or add to the stable).

but i'm also looking for a fun weekend car with/for the wife. she's a 911 fan. but she doesn't like the ride (too rough at times). the coupe had a nice ride (for her), and she's in the middle of a porsche-to-nissan conversion.

the alternative convertibles that offer the kind of ride quality and features i'm looking for cost a lot more than any infiniti ever made (911 c2 vert, maserati, vantage - our favorite, etc...).

if infiniti could pull this off - even the awd vert, would be a step in the right direction, because infiniti's huge selling point is affordability. the tt would just make it more fun for me to drive (the icing on the cake).

Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by jasperg35
if infiniti could pull this off - even the awd vert, would be a step in the right direction, because infiniti's huge selling point is affordability. the tt would just make it more fun for me to drive (the icing on the cake).
An AWD drop-top G37 would weigh what... 3800-4000lbs?

No thanks!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
An AWD drop-top G37 would weigh what... 3800-4000lbs?
exactly! hence my request for the tt.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Right, but at the same time, they would do well to keep chasing the BMW 3 family as a prime target with the 35 sedan and 37 coupe family.
Wait a minute... are you talking about the same 3-Series that BMW has now turbocharged???

Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Nissan and Infiniti need to keep their brands separate. Why would someone spend 10-15% more on an Infiniti GT-R when they could get the Nissan one for cheaper?
Why do people buy G35s when they can get a Z for cheaper? Why do people buy ES300 when they can get a Camry for cheaper?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
the smart move is a new flagship sedan w/GT-R goodies and a new entry level ride, RWD G20 sized car in Coupe & Sedan form w/a high output turbo4.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G37tt awd convertible