Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

twin turbo v8 mid-engine infiniti

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Exactly how is the R390 going to translate into a roadgoing car that meets emissions/side impact/etc etc fed regs that have nothng to do with racing?

In addition, this was built on a old Skyline chassis that doesn't exist any more. So again, a new chassis would have to be developed.

Something that DOESN'T have to be done for Porsche's GT1 offerings.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well emissions/side impact, etc would have nothing to do with anything if they never 'officially' release the car for usdm. i'm just saying that if it meets emissions, etc... , great, bring it here. if it doesn't, people can still praise it from afar (like the ccxr, fxx, or a10, etc...).

regarding the chassis - i disagree with this. the old skyline chassis doesn't exist because a new one was researched and developed. so instead of basing the r390 off of the previous chassis, maybe they could use the r35 chassis instead.

and i wasn't suggesting that they revamp the r390... instead that nissan already has it in them to develop more 'race inspired' high performance cars.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Apples /= oranges here.
LOL seriously.

OP you cant compare porsche to nissan. they sell to 2 different target audiences. you need to really understand marketing before you make these kind of statements.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by jasperg35
well emissions/side impact, etc would have nothing to do with anything if they never 'officially' release the car for usdm. i'm just saying that if it meets emissions, etc... , great, bring it here. if it doesn't, people can still praise it from afar (like the ccxr, fxx, or a10, etc...).

regarding the chassis - i disagree with this. the old skyline chassis doesn't exist because a new one was researched and developed. so instead of basing the r390 off of the previous chassis, maybe they could use the r35 chassis instead.

and i wasn't suggesting that they revamp the r390... instead that nissan already has it in them to develop more 'race inspired' high performance cars.
Not sure what you are talking about. A mid engined car is going to need a complete new chassis. That's the point here.

Porsche = taking the EXISTING road going chassis and takes racing.
You want Infiniti to build a mid engined super car to sell to the public.

Two totally and completely different things.

The existing GT-R is the closest you are going to get. Not sure why you need anything more.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
hey, they're not gonna build a mid-engine super car for the same reason that corvett's haven't switched to a mid-engine set up... more expensive and not much, if any faster.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
when you guys talk about M series on BMW, IS-F Lexus etc... you speak of HUGE companies in the automotive world. Nissan is a company that just pulled themselves out of the hole and from going under. I was doubtful on the GTR, but maybe it was a good thing for them to show their engineering capability. A few sales from a small competitive market (where the M3 IS-F and those cars are at) isn't going to boost the company that much, as much as I'd like to see it. Maybe they should focus on the millions of sales of more affordable cars, the same way Toyota and Honda built themselves, before they go into that... because right now, they are waaay behind.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^

I completely agree with the post above. Look at companies like Aston Martin, Lamborghini, even Porsche at one time was really struggling. Aston Martin hasn't really turned a great profit since they've been open. Lamborghini brought down companies that acquired it (Chrysler) and it took Audi's money and experience to bring it back and make it profitable.

Porsche was on the brink of bankruptcy numerous times; they even had racing pedigree on their side. It took the Boxster and Cayenne to make them profitable again. The Boxster wasn't anything special when it came out and the Cayenne was just a Touareg on steriods. But people paid for the name and/or amenities that came with those 'premium' cars.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by usmcmark
hey, they're not gonna build a mid-engine super car for the same reason that corvett's haven't switched to a mid-engine set up... more expensive and not much, if any faster.

Isnt the main reason of mid/rear engine for handling/driving dynamics compared to outright speed.I think theres a pretty decent chance that a mid engine Corvette will eventually happen.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 AM
it's hard for chevy to dismiss 60 years of r&d, just to find out that the laws of physics haven't changed during that period. mid-engine, or awd are going to be in the future or they will be left behind.

(unless they make a new scientific break through - like cornering rails, etc...)

Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
^^^one of the Corvett's & GT-R's biggest selling points is it's price to performance value. a beefed up FR(Front engine/RWD) that can play w/the big boys. if they went to a mid-engine set up it would change the whole face of the vehicle and maybe even the company. that and, all of Chevy's & Nissans race R&D all come's from FR machines. make me think there's not mid-engine super car in there future... even the next-gen NSX is goin' FR. a Japanese(or even American) supercar would be awsome BUT it's just not worth building at the moment.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 AM
MIC
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
Infiniti is going to have to do something soon though. With the M3, C-Class AMG, Lexus IS-F, etc. There no reason they couldn't release a single turbo G37 in the near future that would make 450hp at least.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GT-R engine or some version of it, finds its way into an Infiniti in the next 2-3 years.
+++1, Nissan/Infiniti has all the tools to make this happen. Nissan of America is not afraid of releasing similar looking products with the same chassis in the market. i.e altima coupe/g35 coupe then theres the g35 sedan/maxima sedan. Doing this also cuts down the cost associated with new parts and the like. So IMHO there is a 99% chance you will see a GTR variant in sedan clothing with an Infiniti badge

Old 06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There's been a lot of rumors about them making a Twin Turbo, 500 hp, AWD, G37 for 2010. They will take that step before making any further ones towards super cars.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
LOL seriously.

OP you cant compare porsche to nissan. they sell to 2 different target audiences. you need to really understand marketing before you make these kind of statements.
I won't argue strongly against what you stated in broad terms, but there is crossover, and I am a perfect example. Over the last 10 years I've owned 2 911's and 2 Infiniti G35's a coupe and a sedan, purchased at prices ranging from $20k-$60k.

I'm currently not sure whether my next car will be an Infiniti G37 6MT sedan for about $40k, a 2005 Porsche 997 Carrera S for about $60k, or maybe even a 1996-1998 993 for around $35k.

A lot depends on whether my daughter has a license by then and can drive herself and my other younger daughter to school, in which case a 2+2 coupe becomes feasible again. It also depends on my budget at the time. Not everybody can be neatly shoehorned into a particular market segment, brand preference or budget. Some people move around depending on life-stage
and economic variability factors.

In short, I absolutely compare Nissan to Porsche and BMW when considering my purchases. Even if I'm looking to buy a 2 seater and I'm in a position to throw down the cash for a Cayman, maybe I'd rather buy a 370Z and have cash left over for a couple of jet skis to go with my boat for family days at the lake, or an old classic or a garage to keep it in...

Truth be told, I'm inclined toward a 997 Carrera S in 2010 but it depends on whether I've been able to put aside enough education funding between now and then.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
LOL seriously.

I won't argue strongly against what you stated in broad terms, but there is crossover, and I am a perfect example. Over the last 10 years I've owned 2 911's and 2 Infiniti G35's, a coupe and a sedan, purchased at prices ranging from $20k-$60k.

I'm currently not sure whether my next car will be an Infiniti G37 6MT sedan for about $40k, a 2005 Porsche 997 Carrera S for about $60k, or maybe even a 1996-1998 993 for around $35k.

A lot depends on whether my daughter has a license by then and can drive herself and my other younger daughter to school, in which case a 2+2 coupe becomes feasible again. It also depends on my budget at the time. Not everybody can be neatly shoehorned into a particular market segment, brand preference or budget. Some people move around depending on life-stage
and economic variability factors.

In short, I absolutely compare Nissan to Porsche and BMW when considering my purchases. Even if I'm looking to buy a 2 seater and I'm in a position to throw down the cash for a Cayman, maybe I'd rather buy a 370Z and have cash left over for a couple of jet skis to go with my boat for family days at the lake, or an old classic or a garage to keep it in...

Truth be told, I'm inclined toward a 997 Carrera S in 2010 but it depends on whether I've been able to put aside enough education funding between now and then.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MIC
+++1, Nissan/Infiniti has all the tools to make this happen. Nissan of America is not afraid of releasing similar looking products with the same chassis in the market. i.e altima coupe/g35 coupe then theres the g35 sedan/maxima sedan. Doing this also cuts down the cost associated with new parts and the like. So IMHO there is a 99% chance you will see a GTR variant in sedan clothing with an Infiniti badge
I'm on the fence with this one, or at least the G37 turbo part. I don't see Nissan making another product to compete with the INFAMOUS GTR. Only expand over the next decade on IMO the supercar they have already produced. Like it's predecessor's R32,34, etc. Nissan has already released an upgraded GTR so this leads me to think they will follow suit like they have with previous GTR's. Maybe I'm way out in left field on this one but they have done everything they said they would and accomplished a very large hurdle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: twin turbo v8 mid-engine infiniti