Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

Infiniti Performance Line!!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infiniti Performance Line!!

Nissan North America Inc. has taken legal steps to create a performance segment for its Infiniti Division product line, similar to its larger luxury rivals Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

Nissan has filed for trademark protection for the names “IPL” and “Infiniti Performance Line,” according to documents on file with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

According to the applications, the IPL trademark would cover the brand's use of “high-performance motor vehicle parts,” including turbochargers and superchargers for engines, cat-back exhaust and muffler systems, shifter *****, suspension parts, brakes, sports seats and off-road headlights.

A spokesman at Infiniti's North American headquarters in Franklin, Tenn., declined to discuss the trademark filings or the brand's product plans.

This month in Louisville, Ky., the vice president of the Infiniti Business Unit, Ben Poore, told reporters that he intends to reveal a new performance-oriented offering this summer. He did not elaborate.

At the same time, Nissan confirmed that it is considering more use of high-output, small-displacement turbocharged engines for Infiniti.

Infiniti has been at a product disadvantage among luxury brands for years. Older competitors such as Mercedes, BMW and even Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus brand offer a much broader model line than Infiniti. Additionally, Mercedes markets variations of its models under the AMG performance subbrand, while BMW produces performance-level M versions of some models.

The performance brand options typically retail for a much higher premium. While the 2010 Mercedes S-class sedan has a base manufacturer's list price of $87,950, Mercedes' AMG Web site lists the price of the S63 AMG sedan at $133,550.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz2seSWxlsS

Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Autoblog

You remember Infiniti, don't you? Nissan’s premium brand that’s been chasing Germany’s BMW since 1989? Now, compared to Toyota’s Lexus—which seems happier chasing disgruntled Buick owners—ever since its original Q sedan arrived over 20 years ago, Infiniti has always wanted you to think of it as a Japanese alternative to the usual German luxury-sport brands.
Except for a dry spell in the mid-1990s that saw some Infinitis end up as mere chromed-over Nissan (I30 nee Maxima, come on down!), unlike Honda’s Acura or Lexus, Nissan has at the very least made an effort to distinguish Infiniti with rear- and all-wheel-drive platforms.

And except for the odd-duck QX full-size SUV, its lineup attempts to faithfully mirror the Bavarian brand. Infiniti’s G plays the role of rear-drive compact sports sedan, just like BMW 3 Series. The EX equals the X3. And the M chases the 5 Series.

But one thing Infiniti has never had was its own performance brand like BMW’s M Division. But along with a possible M Coupe, and another model that will “extend Infiniti into an area we haven't been before" set to debut at this August’s Pebble Beach concours (teased above), Infiniti plans on launching a new Infiniti Performance Line.

Okay. It’s not an all-out skunk works like BMW’s M, Mercedes-Benz’s AMG or even Audi’s Quattro GmbH. Instead, IPL will initially only offer in-house developed upgrades from air filters to cat-back exhaust systems, and "automotive engine parts, namely turbochargers and superchargers." But hey, it’s a start.

But is IPL enough to make you consider an Infiniti over a BMW, Audi or ‘Benz?

Or does Infiniti need to go for it and deliver a full-on performance model, like BMW’s M cars?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
In debunking the M Coupe rumor, Infiniti revealed that it will unveil a high-performance version of one of its vehicles at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance this year. A recent Infiniti trademark filing for “IPL” and “Infiniti Performance Lineup” seems to indicate the vehicle may not be the only high-performance Infiniti we will see.

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY
The trademark filing was discovered on documents held by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The documents reveal that the Infiniti Performance Lineup trademark would cover the brand’s use of “high-performance motor vehicle parts.” The application listed turbochargers, superchargers, cat-back exhaust systems, high-flow mufflers, shifter *****, suspension components, brakes, sports seats, and off-road headlights.

Nissan also recently confirmed it’s looking into downsizing the engines used in its Infiniti lineup while maintaining power outputs. Like most other manufacturers building engines to compete with the upcoming fuel economy regulations, this would be done with the assistance of “high-performance motor vehicle parts,” turbochargers. The IPL trademark filing along with the fact the brand is unveiling a high-performance vehicle later this summer makes us believe that IPL is likely for real.

A spokesman with Infiniti North America also declined to discuss the brand’s trademark filings when contacted by Automotive News.

Introducing the Infiniti Performance Lineup holds several advantages for Nissan’s luxury brand. Both its German and Japanese competitors offer a wider model selection as well as performance models of some, if not all of their cars. Lexus recently introduced its F-tuning division, Mercedes-Benz has AMG, BMW has M, and Audi has its RS models. Creating a performance division could possibly bring Infiniti a larger market share and make the brand better known.

We’ll see exactly what the trademark filing means, possibly as soon as August 11 at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Infiniti will reveal at least one high-performance model there and may reveal the Infiniti Performance Lineup along with it.

Source: Automotive News

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6650062/au...#ixzz2seHbrt2s

Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Bad Toro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, if this thing is real, I'll be all over that thing!

This is exactly what I've been saying Infiniti has been missing from its line up for years now: something to compete with the Ms, AMGs, RS/S', IS-Fs, etc.

Can't wait.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Bad Toro
Damn, I wish I could read Japanese right now!!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
"downsizing the engines used in its Infiniti lineup while maintaining power outputs."...

So Infinti is trying to do what Honda did with it's S2k... S2k has or had the highest Hp / Liter ratio..

And couldn't they come up with something better than IPL? Infinti Performance Line?

Doesn't sound as good as Nismo, Mugen, or TRD.

And if they are trying to compete with AMG or the M series. The "IPL" badge isn't going to fly.. lol

But again, this is just me..

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
And if they are trying to compete with AMG or the M series. The "IPL" badge isn't going to fly.. lol
I HIGHLY doubt they will actually badge the cars with "IPL"... - that's just the line's name. I'm sure they'll come up with a short sport model designation. Maybe "R" or something.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
They need to skip the bs and build some real performance models... I see $1000 intakes from the factory and $4000 exhausts with this IPL bs. They need to dump a boosted V8 into their 6 cylinder models (G) and boost, bore, and stroke the hell out of the V8s in their V8 models (M, Q). I'm sure some GTR technology wouldn't hurt either!

And like Toyota with TRD, I don't see why they don't stick with the well known, respected, and much loved Nismo name. And with so many Japanese shops doing crazy builds with Nissans, I don't see why they don't just recruit one of them... "Tommy Kaira Edition" sounds like something I would love to own!

Last edited by dofu; 05-27-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i like what i'm hearing!

if what they're planning really goes through, it'll be an exciting future for Infiniti and the luxury-performance market

i hope they'll offer support for our G35's

some knowledge from their Japanese tuners and the GTR wouldn't hurt either

Old 05-27-2010, 05:10 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G & S: Motor vehicles, namely, automobiles and structural parts therefor; high performance motor vehicle parts, namely, brake pads for land vehicles, shift *****, wheels, suspension coil springs, suspension sway bars, limited slip differentials and sports seats
I'm pretty sure the IPL will be a line of performance vehicles like M, AMG etc... with the option of equipping non-IPL cars with IPL parts for a premium. It doesn't make any sense for Infiniti to employ a line of high-performance parts only. They wouldn't make nearly as much money as the margins are far smaller.

Plus, the type of customer the IPL line would target wants the benefit of the IPL product...right now. They want the products installed, the plus of having IPL-trim benefits like sports seats or carbon-fibre trim, the prestige of being able to afford one, and the ability to drive it off the lot today (all with a dealer warranty I might add). Infiniti can charge a serious premium for all of that. The IPL line will not be marketed to a young demographic.

Just a thought...

Last edited by N50; 05-27-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
sounds good, to bad they are going to charge $50+ thousand for it :/

Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
subscribed

Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by N50
I'm pretty sure the IPL will be a line of performance vehicles like M, AMG etc... with the option of equipping non-IPL cars with IPL parts for a premium. It doesn't make any sense for Infiniti to employ a line of high-performance parts only. They wouldn't make nearly as much money as the margins are far smaller.

Plus, the type of customer the IPL line would target wants the benefit of the IPL product...right now. They want the products installed, the plus of having IPL-trim benefits like sports seats or carbon-fibre trim, the prestige of being able to afford one, and the ability to drive it off the lot today (all with a dealer warranty I might add). Infiniti can charge a serious premium for all of that. The IPL line will not be marketed to a young demographic.

Just a thought...
It really sounds like they are offering their own aftermarket parts as options when you purchase your car, kinda like how Scions are doing it.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:46 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dofu
It really sounds like they are offering their own aftermarket parts as options when you purchase your car, kinda like how Scions are doing it.
Infiniti hasn't really commented at all so I'm not sure we can assume either view. I just hope what I posted is correct (not because I posted it ) because I'd love to own a factory-tuned super G in the future. I just don't believe an aftermarket line on its own will be successful. Factory tuned monsters, so long as they can keep fuel efficiency in mind, with a warranty will, however. We know there will be a performance-oriented G at Pebble Beach. The question is will this be a G with slap-on mods? Or will this be a honest-to-goodness tuned G straight from Japan which will go toe-to-toe with the C63's, M's, and CTS-V's of the world.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Wishing the have stock turbo sometime soon...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Performance Line!!