The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Filed Complaint with Infiniti

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WILD121
Dude like I said its your tires not the suspension. Look at the Bridge stones they are only supose to last 10K miles this is a dead issue I dont know why you think you can get more mileage out of a tire that has a tread rating of 140. Suck it up and get new tires. Buy a tire that will last a little longer Tread rating of 280 or higher should in theory give you twice the mileage. Every coupe that I know changed their tires without bitching like this. Porsche tires last 10k as well what else do you expect from an aggressive suspension and a soft tire. ALL I CAN SAY IS BUY A NEW TIRE THAT IS HARDER.
TRY AGAIN GENIUS!

When I changed my tires on my '04.5 coupe the fronts were worn to 2mm on the inside edges while the outside edges still had 10mm. This contributed to the loud thumping noise while driving. Reason - one sided wear due to the camber. Here's a clue for you - check out this web site for the facts: http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

If you can't base your opinion on facts, please, keep your mouth shut.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The problem with our tire feathering seems to stem from a negative camber issue. Since the camber settings are not adjustable, nothing can be done other than changing control arms which are super expensive, finding a camber alignment kit, good luck! or modifying the settings through a specialty alignment center. Any of these things can be costly. Our tires are performance tires and although do not last very long (12-15,000 miles) they are not totally to blame. They will get noisey when they are at the end of their lifespan but signs of wear with low mileage on them is a sign of an alignment/suspension problem. Also, unidirectional tires seem to be more susceptible to the inside feathering. One thing I have learned is that getting our cars aligned within manufacturers specs does not mean our cars will not show tire wear. Why aren't other sports cars plagued with the same issues? There seems to be a design flaw similar to the Nissan 350Z that needs some kind of modification either in allowing camber/castor settings or finding out if there is some other front end distortion that only Albert Einstein can determine.

Last edited by bocatrip; 06-22-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:07 PM
my new set of michellins are feathering in the front.. im getting pissed, i only got like 5k miles on them

Old 06-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
It's a sports car that comes from the factory with negative camber and sticky tires for performance reasons; this is going to cause early tire wear. Take a look at any sports car, they all burn through the insides of tires for the same reason. Yes driving style will also add to this but even if you drive like a grandma the insides of your tires are going to wear out quickly with negative camber and a tire with a tread wear rating of 140!

I agree that Infiniti should have made these cars with adjustable camber for people who could live with the degraded handling to get better tire wear. But they didn't so just go get a set of Kinetix front and rear camber kits for ~$800, set your camber to 0 degrees and go get some hard tires that will last longer. That is your only solution. If you can get Infiniti to pay for all/part of it, then more power to you.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you all just need to stick with driving a Honda Accord.

The following users liked this post:
mattyboyl (07-17-2011)
Old 06-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 6MT
I originally posted this in the general discussion section but feel this is probably more prevalant amongst coupe owners. Anyways, I filed a complaint with Infiniti regarding the 'feathering' of the front tires and that it must be related to a suspension issue similiar to that of the 350Z. I have 13k on my new tires and they need replacing already because of feathering. This is my second set of front tires in 22k. At highway speeds, the noise is unbearable. Any other coupe owners who wish to file a complaint as well, the number is 800-662-6200. Maybe enough complaints will force Infiniti to address the real isses which is not the tire.

I also had major feathering issues at 7.5k miles. Ended up arguing with dealer, they flipped tires and realigned which I paid for. I registered complaint with Infiniti Canada and got nowhere.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:31 PM
re: a website for tire wear problems

Go to Http://nissantireproblems.com/ and file your complaint with a zillion other unhappy Nissan/Infiniti owners with tire wear issues. There is a special section just for the G35 Tire wear problems. Good luck and with enough complaints Infiniti actually might come out with a TSB and throw us a bone like a few free tires and an extra alignment on the arm.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
It's a sports car that comes from the factory with negative camber and sticky tires for performance reasons; this is going to cause early tire wear. Take a look at any sports car, they all burn through the insides of tires for the same reason. Yes driving style will also add to this but even if you drive like a grandma the insides of your tires are going to wear out quickly with negative camber and a tire with a tread wear rating of 140!

I agree that Infiniti should have made these cars with adjustable camber for people who could live with the degraded handling to get better tire wear. But they didn't so just go get a set of Kinetix front and rear camber kits for ~$800, set your camber to 0 degrees and go get some hard tires that will last longer. That is your only solution. If you can get Infiniti to pay for all/part of it, then more power to you.

So how much of a negative camber do the stock G35 have....... I'm more concerned with the front camber...... Is it around -1.0 or more?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by WILD121
Dude like I said its your tires not the suspension. Look at the Bridge stones they are only supose to last 10K miles this is a dead issue I dont know why you think you can get more mileage out of a tire that has a tread rating of 140. Suck it up and get new tires. Buy a tire that will last a little longer Tread rating of 280 or higher should in theory give you twice the mileage. Every coupe that I know changed their tires without bitching like this. Porsche tires last 10k as well what else do you expect from an aggressive suspension and a soft tire. ALL I CAN SAY IS BUY A NEW TIRE THAT IS HARDER.
I got 25K out of mine with NO feathering.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
Wild121,

There is a difference between tire wear and TIRE FEATHERING.

Tire feathering is when only part of the tires are wearing out, while the other part is not. It's unever wear...which is not normal

I realize this.......sorry for the missunderstanding but there are a lot of things that could cause feathering.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by gregip1
So how much of a negative camber do the stock G35 have....... I'm more concerned with the front camber...... Is it around -1.0 or more?

Thats about right I believe its -.92 or something

Old 06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gashed
TRY AGAIN GENIUS!

When I changed my tires on my '04.5 coupe the fronts were worn to 2mm on the inside edges while the outside edges still had 10mm. This contributed to the loud thumping noise while driving. Reason - one sided wear due to the camber. Here's a clue for you - check out this web site for the facts: http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

If you can't base your opinion on facts, please, keep your mouth shut.

I hate stupid people. No **** you are going to have more wear on a tire on the inside when you have negative camber. Dont patronize me telling me I need to look up my facts. Who the hell are you. My mothere knows more about this car then your feable little mind and she thinks its a Lexus. Dont shout out general facts and say that I dont know crap.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:45 PM
re: dismounting, remounting, and rebalancing

Until this feathering issue gets closer to a resolve (probably never) I am getting my front tires rotated from side to side by dismounting, flipping, remounting, rebalancing and put on the opposite side of the front. BJs will do the entire operation for $9.00 per tire. How can I go wrong? In the meantime, I can get some additional life out my unidirectional Avons before they are feathered to death. My outside and middle treads are wearing perfectly even. I may have to do this process every 3,000 miles to keep the treads in check.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. If you want a car that provides outstanding cornering, you've got to go with an agressive alignment and soft tires. There's no car that going to corner at .9G or better with tires that will last 40K miles.

I disagree with the comment about extending tire wear by grandma style driving. Gentle cornering could actually accelerate the uneven wear, since the idea of the negative camber is to give you the maximum tire patch when cornering at the limits. In other words hard cornering will shift the contact patch to the outside of the tire, which will help promote more even tire wear.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1

I agree. If you want a car that provides outstanding cornering, you've got to go with an agressive alignment and soft tires. There's no car that going to corner at .9G or better with tires that will last 40K miles.

I disagree with the comment about extending tire wear by grandma style driving. Gentle cornering could actually accelerate the uneven wear, since the idea of the negative camber is to give you the maximum tire patch when cornering at the limits. In other words hard cornering will shift the contact patch to the outside of the tire, which will help promote more even tire wear.
There are many 'sports cars" out there that handle as well or better than the G that do not prematurely wear the inside of their tires. Those manufacturers include Honda, Mazda, BMW to name a few. I love my G but am able to admit Nissan has a design deficiency when it comes to this suspension and the affect on some G's and Z's.

Tire life on some cars is vastly compromised because of this feathering. Most of the tire has many more miles left on it but the feathering on the insides creates additional road noise and forces early tire replacement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Filed Complaint with Infiniti