The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Filed Complaint with Infiniti

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are able to get 15k miles on your tires, especially your rears you must be a very gentle driver with them.

How I drive my car is based more on circumstance than my desire. That's the reason I sold my M3 and 996. Why drive around in ultra performance cars when you can rarely drive them the way that they were intended to be driven. It turns out that I'm fortunate to be able to drive my car hard 10% of the time. Even though I live and work in the country, it's rare that I get on the road without lots of slower cars in front of me. As I posted earlier my 996 rears would be good for about 10K miles, and that's drivig the same way I drive my G.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
god, you guys must suck for drivering abilities

i had the same tires on my old mustang for 5yrs and they were nowhere near needing replaced. same tires on my g35 for 3 1/2yrs; same tires on my 996 for 3 1/2yrs.....oh wait.....could it be because i don't do a burnout at every traffic light

on all of them i'm running firehawk sz50 EPs (atleast p275+), so they arn't exactly known for great treadwear.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
god, you guys must suck for drivering abilities

i had the same tires on my old mustang for 5yrs and they were nowhere near needing replaced. same tires on my g35 for 3 1/2yrs; same tires on my 996 for 3 1/2yrs.....oh wait.....could it be because i don't do a burnout at every traffic light

on all of them i'm running firehawk sz50 EPs (atleast p275+), so they arn't exactly known for great treadwear.

Hey 99,

Suck for driving abilities because my soft compound pilot sports don't last the same amount of time as your mustang, 996 or G35 tires.

Burnouts at every light?

Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by FAST1
If you are able to get 15k miles on your tires, especially your rears you must be a very gentle driver with them.

How I drive my car is based more on circumstance than my desire. That's the reason I sold my M3 and 996. Why drive around in ultra performance cars when you can rarely drive them the way that they were intended to be driven. It turns out that I'm fortunate to be able to drive my car hard 10% of the time. Even though I live and work in the country, it's rare that I get on the road without lots of slower cars in front of me. As I posted earlier my 996 rears would be good for about 10K miles, and that's drivig the same way I drive my G.
Fair enough. I agree you can't drive a performance vehicle anywhere near their limits on the street. I rarely drive my car hard either.

Last edited by RBull; 06-25-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i guess this uneven tire wearing problem is bigger than i originally thought...

but the wierd thing for me is that the outter side of my tire is wearing more than my inner side..

anyony have this same problem?

Old 06-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by techi13

but the wierd thing for me is that the outter side of my tire is wearing more than my inner side..

Are you an aggressive driver? Do you nail you car going into turns? Outer feathering is usually due to hard cornering unless there is another issue. I am a very conservative driver and while my front insides are feathered the outsides and middle treads are perfectly smooth and even.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Rated M

Could be an alignment issue or aggresive driving on the corners. My outsides took a major beating from a couple of track days a few weeks ago.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 AM
i'm a conservative driver most of the time...i do take corners and sweeping left/right turns aggresively once in a while...

the thing is that, only my rear tires show more outter wear....if it was my driving that caused the outer wear, wouldn't all four tires show the same result?

Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 AM
my new michelin pilot sports are starting to have some road noise and ive had them for like 6k.. not good

Old 06-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Rated M

i'm a conservative driver most of the time...i do take corners and sweeping left/right turns aggresively once in a while...

the thing is that, only my rear tires show more outter wear....if it was my driving that caused the outer wear, wouldn't all four tires show the same result?
I would think that would be true and even more so on the fronts. I would get it in for an alignment before you experience any more uneven wear.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Do you like to take turns with the "tail out" ?

Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
I have a 2005 model and unfortunately have the same tire feathering problem. I'm not too happy about it because I dropped $1500 on a second set and it started only after 5k miles.

How a tire wears is almost completely influenced by your suspension and not what kind of tire you have although the softer the compound the more prone it will be to the abnormal wear. And yes driving style does count but let's put that variable aside because this problem is occurring regardless of that.

Someone made an earlier post about their disagreements of the negative camber being the suspect; I agree with them. I suspect that it is a combination of too aggressive toe-in settings and negative camber. Our tires are directional, in fact, I don't think you can even get them in non-directional because you can only get summer performance tires in our factory size (18 and 19) unless you go 17s. Think about it, the negative camber is putting more pressure on the insides and if you add the toe-in, it exacerbates the pressure even more on the insides along the edge of the tread. If you were to draw 2 arrows next to each other pointing up, the inside diagonals would be getting all the wear along with the inner ribs going longitudinally with the tire while the outer diagonals would hardly get touched. This is feathering, this is what causes that droaning/howl noise even when going over fresh, baby smooth asphalt. My tires are wearing exactly as I described where the directional arrow treads are getting all hacked up on the inside while the outer is still sharp and looks almost brand new. This is my theory of course.

Our cars are virtually the same as the Z's and shares the same platform. It's the same engine, same tranny, same suspension, same exhaust, and just a stretched out chassis so whatever issues the Z has, G35C's will pretty much have it too. Just look at the TSB's for both. The weird thing is, and maybe this is due to quality, the tire wear issue is not as consistent as with the Z's. I've met some owners who have had no wear issues and drive like a bunch of crazies while others like me, are plagued with it. And I've had the dealer realign it 3 times and on 2 sets of tires! But it seems like the disgruntled owners are taking the majority and I hope Infiniti will show they care about their customers.

This is one of the big reasons why I'm selling the car. I just can't afford $1500 every 5-10k miles and don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm definitely keeping my eye on the 2007 model but am going to wait first for reviews and complaints on it for the first year. I understand it is a sports car (and it is, cmon, 300hp, RWD, 6spd, great handling) and that they go through tires more quickly, but the damn NOISE! I can't stand it! It's a damn Infiniti, that's a luxury brand! That's why I bought the car!

Comments, opinions welcome.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately the front end feathering still persists and there are no TSBs in site for any resolve. If the Toe is also a culprit as JADED says in combination with the camber, then why can't anyone give us a toe spec that will resolve the problem? Bottom line is I too made a claim with Infiniti for the feathering with no results. They just blew me off. They did admit that there are other complaints. I was also thinking of dumping my car because of this problem. The only reason I am still hanging in is because I don't do much more than 6,000 miles a year and can go longer before tire replacement. Regardless, it's a poor front suspension design that needs to be addressed one day.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I had feathering problems after 15k. tires started to roar pretty loud. After taking my car to dismount/remount the tires from side to side and aligning it at a independent shop, my car hasn't had any feathering problems after 12k miles. My car was lowered on tein basics right after the tire mount/dismount and bfore the alignment. But I agree.. this should this be taken care of by nissan for poor design.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RBull
There are many 'sports cars" out there that handle as well or better than the G that do not prematurely wear the inside of their tires. Those manufacturers include Honda, Mazda, BMW to name a few. I love my G but am able to admit Nissan has a design deficiency when it comes to this suspension and the affect on some G's and Z's.

Tire life on some cars is vastly compromised because of this feathering. Most of the tire has many more miles left on it but the feathering on the insides creates additional road noise and forces early tire replacement.
Sorry but if you're talking about the NSX for honda then you are wrong...When the first generation NSX came out. People were going thru tires like every 10-15K wearing on inside thread...There was a major lawsuit file against Honda for this problem. After the lawsuit was over all of the newer NSX had a disclaimer on the sticker stating that this due to the nature of this car tire lifespan is dependent on driving habbit and life expectancy for these tires are XXXX amount...They put a disclaimer for the tire wear due to suspension setup and tire compound...I worked for Acura for a while and the suspension on a Acura is fully adjustable. TOE, Caster, camber, etc...Although our cars are not as close to a NSX in suspension it is setup aggressively. Like what some of the other guys say flip it and you will get better wear...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Filed Complaint with Infiniti