The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Advice: drop, kit, rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2006 | 05:16 AM
|
Smile Advice: drop, kit, rims

I know there is a search function and all that but my question has several different parts to it that need to be tied together to answer my concern, so here goes:

Currently I am looking for springs or coilovers. I am looking for a real big drop. I am sitting on the stock 19" rims (the 5 split-spoke style). The look that I love is when the fender is basically sitting on the tire.

Eventually I was planning on putting on the kenstyle kit sides and back and a GT front with the grill (I forget the brands).

After that I was hoping to get some rims. Ideally I would like to get the biggest diameter (20") and the thickest width (9.5" front and 10.5" back) and have a real nice lip to them.

The issue I am facing is how do I PLAN OUT my mods starting now with the coils or springs, whichever I decide to go with, so that later on I do not have issues with rubbing the rims inside the fenders during dips in the roads (or etc.) or turning, or the body scraping against every single little bump like driveways (even though I'm not worrying about parking and driveways, I'll just keep her on the flat streets if I have to in order to keep the look that I want (slammed as hell). I just don't want to later on have to get different springs or coilovers, remove my kit, or sacrifice rim sizes. Planning ahead is key for this.

So I was wondering if maybe going 20's and that wide would prevent me from lowering the car low enough to where I get that "sitting on the tires" look that I wish to achieve. Alongside that, maybe the car overall would look raised even if there is a kit on it. Of course, it seems logical to stick with 19"x8.5" for that big drop I'm looking for and not worry about rub, but nice big rims with a huge lip is always better, in the look I wish to achieve. So I was hoping maybe some of you have similar goals and have achieved them on your coupes (filled out the rims to the max and still have a large drop and a nice body kit) without any major issues, or if any, could advise me on them so I don't have to run into them... or perhaps forget my plan altogether?

Kind of a complex issue, from my point, since I've never done these things on a sports car (used to have a denali on air suspension with 23's which is a little different ), but I hope some of you could throw in your 2 cents.

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by 425skyline; 06-25-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2006 | 11:39 PM
|
bump? anyone?