The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Salvage title recovery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll chime in on this one!

I am a NC dealer. I mostly/mainly deal with Infiniti's.. First time I saw one I knew that is what I wanted my GF, now my wife to drive...it was the sweetest car on the road! I deal in only salvage cars.. Wrecks,Thefts,repo's, but never a flood car! She bought her coupe from me on 6-14-04 and she is still getting recall papers for things. Her car is salvage but they still send us the forms in the mail.. I think they should fix the stuff, if they are gonna send forms. I love g35's and have dealt with many. Most all of the guys above comments are true. If you want this done. Contact a local body shop or small time car dealer and ask them who a good mechanic is.. You dont always have to get some certified person to do everything unless you live in a large city..Best of Luck. Derick

Old 07-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who cares?

If you go to a shop for your problems instead of the dealer the costs will be WAY lower and most likely they will even do a better job. Thats just from my own experience. I will never take my car to the dealer again.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark350GT
who cares?

If you go to a shop for your problems instead of the dealer the costs will be WAY lower and most likely they will even do a better job. Thats just from my own experience. I will never take my car to the dealer again.
I think most would agree you can get the same or better routine service from an independent mechanic. Going to Jiffy Lube, etc. is probably the other extreme, and I would avoid them.
Nissan will change oil in your 'G' for less money, and do the same basic job.

As far as 'salvaged' goes, you are probably best going to an independent anyway since you will never have any factory warranty issues.
Regardless of what you are told, you will likely never know what happened to a vehicle that was salvaged. If you can live with the 'unkowns' then saving money is on your side. I might consider it for a 'beater' car, but never a luxury performance one. I am averse to that kind of risk.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckeds2k
I am a NC dealer. I mostly/mainly deal with Infiniti's.. First time I saw one I knew that is what I wanted my GF, now my wife to drive...it was the sweetest car on the road! I deal in only salvage cars.. Wrecks,Thefts,repo's, but never a flood car! She bought her coupe from me on 6-14-04 and she is still getting recall papers for things. Her car is salvage but they still send us the forms in the mail.. I think they should fix the stuff, if they are gonna send forms. I love g35's and have dealt with many. Most all of the guys above comments are true. If you want this done. Contact a local body shop or small time car dealer and ask them who a good mechanic is.. You dont always have to get some certified person to do everything unless you live in a large city..Best of Luck. Derick
i think you get recall letters because Infiniti could really be in a jam if anything happened to you and the car as a result of not fixing manufacturer's problems.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LjN_728
Because once the framework of vehicle has been compromised, it becomes a liability issue rather than warranty. Your car could've been in 5 accidents but no structural damage, you car would still be covered under warranty. Just don't even think about purchasing a salvaged title car.

"salvaged" also applies to cars with fire damage and cars thaty are stolen.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by nghiars
"salvaged" also applies to cars with fire damage and cars thaty are stolen.
I see only negatives, outside of saving 'some money' up front.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fortified
I see only negatives, outside of saving 'some money' up front.
not so, only thing u loose is warranty, u still get recalls fixed for free, & as stated b4 who cares about waranty when local mechanics fix cars for way less than Inf dealer.
i got a 2004.5 G coupe 6spd that was salvage with 3k miles yes 3k & I spent 13k total between buying it & fixing it & it looks immaculate & I have absolutely no issues with car other than i have a stain on my driver seat that i cant get out!...i wouldnt consider that just saving "some money" up front, i saved at least 20k
a few members on here have seen my car in person & can vouch that u cannot tell its ever been hit before.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by conq
On a semi related topic 9+ years back I bought an integra with a salvage title in NY. The guy was a friend of a friend of a firend, you know. Well he got the title cleaned and it came back with a clean deleware title. I went to try to register the car in NJ, no go. They said I had to go to DMV in trenton to register it. I ended up just giving it back to the guy, too much hassle. I'm thinking the guy knew someone at the dmv. Long story short, don't mess around with salvage title cars.
man u messed up I been through this b4 a few times ...u had to go to trenton because trenton is the only DMW office in NJ that can re-issue a title that was previously salvaged, every other DMV in the state will tell u its still salvage. if u would have went the woulda gave it to you over the counter ...done it plenty of times

also FYI doubt ur friend was doin anything shady, thing is yrs ago Delaware would accept a salvage title & issue u a clean title or a rebuilt title all u had to do was show them the car was fixed they didnt ask for any receipts or pictures. ...i probly know ur friend of a friend

Old 09-25-2006, 08:51 AM
"a few members on here have seen my car in person & can vouch that u cannot tell its ever been hit before."

It's what you don't know and can't see that can hurt you!

And losing the warranty is hardly a small thing!

I still don't see where you are ahead EXCEPT for saving money. I've seen a Porsche 911 welded together from 2 halves, and no one could tell either. But you are not getting me in it.
No one can convince me a salvaged car is a 'good deal' . For a beater, maybe not for something I want to last and enjoy, and know it's safe, reliable, and is still the same car that came off the factory floor.
But whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by fortified; 09-25-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 PM
^^^^^^^^

ur statement is very true ...i have gotten cars welded together & sold them also & I wouldnt want to keep em for personal use.
but in my case I didnt buy a salvage fixed already I bought it & inspected it myself, i used to work at a body shop so i know what to look for, my trustworthy friend who works in the Nissan dealer bodyshop personally fixed my car with all factory parts, nothing aftermarket & furthermore my car had NO FRAME damage & it is as solid as a rock even when i topped it out at 150mph on the GSP. why insurance wrote it off? maybe because allstate does new car replacement who knows?

saving $20k ...fvkk a warranty I will never do 20k in repairs that wouldve otherwise been covered under warranty even if my engine blew

FYI Im not trying to convince anyone that salvage is the way to go because u can really really get fvkked. salvage is for people who are really in this car game & have connections at bodyshops, junkyards, dealers etc etc or one of those friend of a friend of a friend connections

Old 09-26-2006, 12:53 PM
^^^^
You are fortunate to have more knowledge and inside info than the average joe. I agree, it's not the best path for most folks just looking for a deal.