The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Downshifting Question on Hills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Downshifting Question on Hills

So I've had my 6mt coupe for 2 months now, and I have driving stick down pretty much, at least well enough to get around everywhere. There are some areas where i'm not sure which gear to select, mainly involving steeper hills etc.
When going up at steep hill, is it better to be in a lower gear ie 3/4 at higher rpms, but giving it less gas or to be in 5 at a lower rpm giving it more gas. In 3rd i'm at 3.5-4k going 50mph and in 5 i'm around 2.5k, but i'm not sure which is better for the engine as well as gas mileage.
Another similar situation occurs going down steep hills. Going down a steep hill at 35mph, I can downshift to 4th, and brake alot going down the hill, or I can downshift to 3rd which requires less braking but the rpms jump to ~4k. During this time there is no gas being applied, only breaking. I know on some cars that when no gas is applied and you are above idle the ecu shuts off fuel going to the engine to save gas, but I didn't know if that was the case with the g35. So should i be downshifting to 3rd or 4th in this case.
Hopefully you guys can help a noob out on this

Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Up a steep hill, you should never be past 2nd, it doesnt matter if your at 4K+ rpm, you need power to climb that hill, unless its a really long steep hill. Down a hill, dont use your brakes unless you have to, you will be wearing the sh*t out of em. Down a hill, use the engine to brake, its hard to explain, but the car almost restricts itself and wont go past a certain speed in a given gear unless you apply gas. If you want the best MPG, shift below 3K and always be in the highest gear possible. I like to always stay at 2K rpm. I usually shift from 1-2-3-6. After 3rd, this car has enough torque to put in 6th and cruise. If your in 6th, and need to pass, jus revmatch back into 3rd, and do your thing.

Last edited by chilibowl; 07-18-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put her in "N", stick both arms through the sunroof and yell "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh"

Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Going up a steephill I usually stay in 3rd. Coming down I usually go in 2nd. the engine ends up revving to 3k-4k, but I figure the engine should be pretty strong and it helps save my brake pads too.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep hearing that skipping gears are not good for the cars at all. Can someone confirm this?

Old 07-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I hope thats not true because I've been doing that alot lately.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Up a steep hill, you should never be past 2nd, it doesnt matter if your at 4K+ rpm, you need power to climb that hill, unless its a really long steep hill. Down a hill, dont use your brakes unless you have to, you will be wearing the sh*t out of em. Down a hill, use the engine to brake, its hard to explain, but the car almost restricts itself and wont go past a certain speed in a given gear unless you apply gas. If you want the best MPG, shift below 3K and always be in the highest gear possible. I like to always stay at 2K rpm. I usually shift from 1-2-3-6. After 3rd, this car has enough torque to put in 6th and cruise. If your in 6th, and need to pass, jus revmatch back into 3rd, and do your thing.
So I think I understand what you are saying, but if I can keep a constant speed going up hill in a higher gear should I do that or should I be in a lower gear at less throttle? I guess my question is regarding your statement of being in the highest gear possible. Going up a hill should I be in the highest gear possible for me to maintain my speed, or a lower gear at a higher rpm but which will be higher in my torque curve. Which will yield the better gas mileage?

Old 07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're trying to save gas as well, high RPMs is not the way to go.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
on a steep hill u, if ur over 2500rpm u will be fine. Our cars have enough tourqe to take the hill in low (2500rpm). In other hand if ur giving more than 1/3rd gas u should downshift and give it a less gas to go over that steep hill, so there is no stress on the engine.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm obviously not trying to save gas, I shift at 4k.

for some reason the clutch is sticky or grinds at low RPMs, or at least that's what I believe...

Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
I usually shift at red line and always engine brake. **** on fuel economy! lol Explains why I don't change my pads often.

For going uphill whatever gear feels comfortable to you is what you should use. As for going downhill put it in low gear if you need to control your descent. No sense in needlessly cooking your brakes.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by UFGatorG35
I put her in "N", stick both arms through the sunroof and yell "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh"
LOL

Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
on a steep hill u, if ur over 2500rpm u will be fine. Our cars have enough tourqe to take the hill in low (2500rpm). In other hand if ur giving more than 1/3rd gas u should downshift and give it a less gas to go over that steep hill, so there is no stress on the engine.
What type of stress are you putting on the engine in this situation, I figured lower rpms would be better for the engine, which is why I am confused on which gear to be in.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
if there is slight hill and u are into 6th gear going 20 mph, ur engine is going to be under a lot of stress because it has to work harder to spin the bigger gear at low speed. Think of it as me or u riding a bicycle and our feet being the motor. Same idea.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
When going down steep hills it is safer to be in a lower gear. I don't have a manual G but when I'm driving a manual I like to be able to coast down in gear at close to the right speed with maybe a little braking. I don't want to have to give it gas to go down the hill though.

If it's a real steep driveway or something is definently what you want real low gear. On the road however, I wouldn't want to be mashing the pedal to the floor in low gear every time you hit a hill. It just wastes gas and probably adds a lot of wear to the engine. As long as you've got momentum and the car still accelerates with a bit of throttle, you're probably just fine going up the hill.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Question on Hills