The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Talk Me Out of It

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2006 | 02:00 PM
|
Talk Me Out of It

About to order a UT Chrome Z-tube for the car (probably Stillen HFA to follow). I'm about 95% sure it's what I want based on the following reasons:

1. Sound
2. Possible ***slight*** power gain
3. Possible ***slight*** MPG gain
4. Bling

Heat soak is probably the biggest concern with a metal intake, but I'm not too worried about it. Should I be? Other reasons why this is a dumb choice? Price doesn't count, since I'm willing to pay for "bling."

Tell me why I shouldn't buy it - I want to make sure there aren't any downsides I haven't though of / read about.

Old 10-08-2006 | 03:32 PM
Overglorified Altima
hmm..talk you out of it?

cross out #2 and #3 because those are not likely (at all) and youre left with only 2 reasons to get it. chances are you will get worse mpg because you will be mashing out all the time because the sound is so much better. consider the fact that a plastic oem z tube will give you the same results as #1 leaves you with only 1 reason to get it. if the rest of your engine bay is stock (no polished plenum, no engine cover delete), then the polished z tube will look out of place and thus be a stupid 'bling' mod. now youre left with 0 reasons to get the polished z tube.

i tried my best

Old 10-08-2006 | 04:51 PM
^^ well said.

Old 10-08-2006 | 04:51 PM
Banned
don't buy it. save your money and buy groceries!

Old 10-08-2006 | 05:28 PM
|
Originally Posted by mixturepinoy
don't buy it. save your money and buy groceries!
^^^ lol -

Old 10-08-2006 | 05:32 PM
|
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
hmm..talk you out of it?

cross out #2 and #3 because those are not likely (at all) and youre left with only 2 reasons to get it. chances are you will get worse mpg because you will be mashing out all the time because the sound is so much better. consider the fact that a plastic oem z tube will give you the same results as #1 leaves you with only 1 reason to get it. if the rest of your engine bay is stock (no polished plenum, no engine cover delete), then the polished z tube will look out of place and thus be a stupid 'bling' mod. now youre left with 0 reasons to get the polished z tube.

i tried my best
Thanks for the help! Yeah, I know reasons #'s 2 & 3 are pretty weak, so it's not really about that. Reason #1 is universal for any Z-tube or intake mod in general, so I'm not saying that's specific to this model. I'm planning on having the battery covers painted gloss black and the engine cover black and silver sections actually painted black and silver. Throw on minor league visual improvements like replacement oil and radiator caps, and I'm hoping it's a nice start.

More hate mail?

Old 10-08-2006 | 06:03 PM
i thought it was over selling your car or buying a supercharger..but for a freakin z tube lol...it works well with a popcharger or stillen intake..go for it for a better sound

Old 10-08-2006 | 06:51 PM
get the carbon fiber one!

Old 10-08-2006 | 07:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by vt_maverick
About to order a UT Chrome Z-tube for the car (probably Stillen HFA to follow). I'm about 95% sure it's what I want based on the following reasons:

1. Sound
2. Possible ***slight*** power gain
3. Possible ***slight*** MPG gain
4. Bling

Heat soak is probably the biggest concern with a metal intake, but I'm not too worried about it. Should I be? Other reasons why this is a dumb choice? Price doesn't count, since I'm willing to pay for "bling."

Tell me why I shouldn't buy it - I want to make sure there aren't any downsides I haven't though of / read about.
Should be a nice addition under the hood.
I can't see heat soak being much of an issue either....There are so many aftermarket metal intakes which seem to perform well and are very popular, and heat in a metal intake can't be much different to heat buildup in a rubber inake.
I had a K&N CAI (all metal) in my Coupe and loved it.

Post up when she's installed. I for one haven't seen one yet.

Colin

Old 10-08-2006 | 08:41 PM
Florida G35 Club
itll look good.. why not get it...

Old 10-08-2006 | 08:41 PM
|
Originally Posted by BigShow
i thought it was over selling your car or buying a supercharger..but for a freakin z tube lol...it works well with a popcharger or stillen intake..go for it for a better sound
lol - yeah well, when your budget is more in the $$$ range rather than the $$$$$ range, I guess you have to think small. I probably should have specified that I will get a Z-tube no matter what, the issue I was looking for feedback on was the "bling" finish.