The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How easy to control G35 oversteer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How easy to control G35 oversteer

Guys, from a scale of 0 to 10, 10 being the easiest to control oversteer and 0 being the hardest, how would you rate your G35 ability to correct for oversteer in high speed corners?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Completely depends on your driving ability.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

If you leave VDC on, it'll never be an issue.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, what he said /\

Old 12-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

If you want to talk about mine personally, I had the opportunity to drive my car on a closed airfield. I had it in near opposite-lock drift at reasonably high speeds and had no trouble at all keeping it under control.

At lower speeds, it had enough power to be able to steer the rear with the throttle and minor steering inputs.

I have an 05 AT non-sport sedan with 17s.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:08 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I think that it is very good probally a 9

Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 AM
i tend to mess around and love to get my car sideways, there is a empty parking lot next to my apt. complex(away from home to go college)

its def a 10, every time its sideways i just turn the steering wheel and its str8 .

Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 AM
When my coupe was stock it understeered in high speed corners. Car does'nt have 'nuff power to break the rear loose at 70mph unless you do a feint or a clutch kick.
That's just my $.02

And believe me, I do know what oversteer is, my 68 camaro steers with the gas pedal.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountian Pirate
When my coupe was stock it understeered in high speed corners. Car does'nt have 'nuff power to break the rear loose at 70mph unless you do a feint or a clutch kick.
That's just my $.02
That's not true. I broke that back-end loose in my coupe, when I took a 35mph curve at 80. I ended up power-sliding through the curve, (and even managed to stay in my own lane). And that was with the stock tires, Automatic Tranny, and VDC was on.

But to answer the previous question... When the tail kicked out, it was very easy to control. I'm sure VDC had a lot to do with that, but I've actually never owned a RWD car that wasn't easy to control. The G35 is my first RWD car that has stability control.

(Now my other FWD cars.... Those were a b*tch and a half to control when the tail started kicking out in bad weather)

Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by avs007
That's not true. I broke that back-end loose in my coupe, when I took a 35mph curve at 80. I ended up power-sliding through the curve, (and even managed to stay in my own lane). And that was with the stock tires, Automatic Tranny, and VDC was on.

But to answer the previous question... When the tail kicked out, it was very easy to control. I'm sure VDC had a lot to do with that, but I've actually never owned a RWD car that wasn't easy to control. The G35 is my first RWD car that has stability control.

(Now my other FWD cars.... Those were a b*tch and a half to control when the tail started kicking out in bad weather)

Mebbe your car has the 450WHP I did'nt get....My coupe has rarely ever seen a straight road and I know that with the VDC on excatly when it's going to kick in..I can drive a lot faster with it off and always had the same results regardless, on or off...push hard into a corner at 70-80mph and watch the front tires wash out.

that's why I now have big fat BFG KDW-2s and Stillen sways...car now oversteers a bit, just like I like it.

Last edited by Mountian Pirate; 12-19-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountian Pirate
Mebbe your car has the 450WHP I did'nt get....My coupe has rarely ever seen a straight road and I know that with the VDC on excatly when it's going to kick in..I can drive a lot faster with it off and always had the same results regardless, on or off...push hard into a corner at 70-80mph and watch the front tires wash out.

that's why I now have big fat BFG KDW-2s and Stillen sways...car now oversteers a bit, just like I like it.
Probably depends on the road surface, and the bank angle. Otherwise my front heavy Grand Prix GTP and Acura TL should never oversteer, but I have with them. With the front drivers, I accidently induced oversteer while going around a wet curve.

With the G coupe, I was accelerating while passing a large truck. The truck was obscuring the sharp curve at the end of the merge. somewhere around the apex of the turn, the back end kicked out.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
The G is a point-and-go car. I have driven many cars with exceptional handling charactaristics, and have had the opertunity to take a ton of driving classes for work. While it's not the BEST, the G's size, weight, power, and steering charactaristics lead the vehicle to be about a 7 on a 10 scale....

After mounting Stillen adjustables front and rear, and getting good tires, It's now about a 8.5. This is also taking into account the usual drivability of the vehile.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Relatively easy but the car is heavy causing it to understeer quite a bit at the limit. I autox mine in the summer and whoever said point and shoot is right on!.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:32 PM
I dunno guys, mebbe we are talking about different things, As I look at the title for this thread I think I may have been a bit off. The car can be handled in oversteer real easy, I guess the problem I have is that when I'm in a corner all steady and smooth (think skid pad) the front used to wash out first. Never said that the rear won't just that I have'nt had that happen without the front going first. I've had this silly car in 4wheel drifts and it will correct real nice. Only thing is that to get it in a 4wheel drift I had to wheel feint or clutch kick it in the lower speed corners to even get it to slide out, not at all like my old camaro that will roast the tires at pretty much any speed, in any corner.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, I was going to say 5 out of 10, maybe I am not as good a drifter as I thought I was. To me it's kind of tricky to keep the G oversteering for 5 seconds or more, the car tend to lose too much speed to maintain the slide. It's also hard to brake drift through a tight corner because it's tricky to catch the rear end before it washes out too much - again you lose too much speed and the G doesn't have enough power to the rear wheels to keep the inertia going and man-handle the car back course. It's not very hard to 'whip' the car around a corner, but powersliding and drifting around figure 8's remain tricky for me.

In comparison an old school BMW 3 series seems easier to control in oversteer situations. Had the previlage to try the same on a S2000 once, now that car was real tricky when the rear end kicks out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How easy to control G35 oversteer