The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Is the G a cop magnet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the G a cop magnet?

On my 2 mile commute home from work, I was coming coming off the interstate exit ramp to avoid a traffic light, when a cop pulled right up behind. He was probably two feet back from my bumper. I knew I wasn't speeding since there were cars in front of me preventing it. When I got off the interstate and moved over to the far right lane he got right back on the interstate. I guess he was just running the plates, but I just have the temporary ones anyway. I had the feeling if I would have gone 1mph over he would of pulled me over. I don't really have anything to complain about I guess.

It got me thinking if cops target G35's as speeders? Most cops here in Houston rarely pull over nice cars. I saw a speed trap once on a side road where they pulled over 10 or something cars, but let a brand spanking new F430 through. My dad and I were going 75mph on the interstate and he was going faster then us on the 35mph side road! (yes, we were trying to keep up with him)!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to wonder that myself...

A while back while driving my G, I was barely going 10 over the limit on the freeway, and I got nailed by a cop. Didn't even ask for my license or registration. Just asked if the car was mine. When I said yes, he walked back to his bike, and came back with a ticket.

Many moons later, I was driving my wife's TL... I was in a bad mood at the time, and was blatantly going 20 over the limit on a city street (it was a new development, so there weren't any buildings/inhabitants or anything. Just a bunch of empty cul-de-sacs), and passed a hiding cop in doing so....

I just pulled over, becuase I knew I was screwed.... After the cop caught up to me, and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said, "Yes, because I was going 60 back there".

He let me off with a warning

Last edited by avs007; 04-18-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain
On my 2 mile commute home from work, I was coming coming off the interstate exit ramp to avoid a traffic light, when a cop pulled right up behind. He was probably two feet back from my bumper. I knew I wasn't speeding since there were cars in front of me preventing it. When I got off the interstate and moved over to the far right lane he got right back on the interstate. I guess he was just running the plates, but I just have the temporary ones anyway. I had the feeling if I would have gone 1mph over he would of pulled me over. I don't really have anything to complain about I guess.

It got me thinking if cops target G35's as speeders? Most cops here in Houston rarely pull over nice cars. I saw a speed trap once on a side road where they pulled over 10 or something cars, but let a brand spanking new F430 through. My dad and I were going 75mph on the interstate and he was going faster then us on the 35mph side road! (yes, we were trying to keep up with him)!
cops hate cars with temp tags period I think. I got pulled over 2 days after mine expired for my 94 Z and ended up getting towed. Oh, your dad is awesome!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I always have cops tailing me, and they will always switch lanes with me, i guess it is because I am 18 and they are a bit curious

Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 PM
So far, I've had zero cop attention. My last car was a Toyota Celica with the factory action package (huge spoiler, rocker side skirts, aggressive front bumper), and damn, every time I passed by a cop, even when I wasn't doing anything, they'd turn their heads and stare as I drive by. In the 3 years I had that car, I think I got pulled over about 12-14 times.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 PM
no issues so far

Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i got pulled over twice in on 3/30/07.. an hour apart.. but it was totally my fault ran a red, floored it and doubled the speed limit in a few secs.. it was a 35mph zone but no cars were around for miles and in 20 yards the speed limit was 55.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All cars with tints/rims/lowered/exhaust are cop magnets. Stock--I doubt cops would really care. Cops used to be attracted to my Maxima for the reasons I just stated...They pretty much ignore my G these days, since there's nothing really "special" about it...

Old 04-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I guess it completely depends on the individual cop. In high school I had an '87 Corvette. I never once got pulled over and I know the cops clocked me at over 20mph over on multiple occassions. I would be the only car around and they would point the gun straight at me. I got so used to it I wouldn't bother slowing down.The same thing with my mom's Tahoe and dad's 300M. This was when I lived in Las Vegas.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 PM
they are....i was cruising next to an m3 and a cop gets right behind him for a good 4-5 min then he gets behind me for a good 4-5 min...im pretty sure he thinks we were gonna race and he was probably also running are plates.....

Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No trouble here. I guess having a white car really helps?!?

Last edited by Cost a G; 04-19-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my Nissan Altima for almost 3 years, I got 1 ticket in it for an illegal turn and let off for speeding on 2 different occassions. I got my g35, 2 weeks later I got 1 ticket, following week another. And I think I've had about 5 or 6 tickets...this car has been bad luck for me. I did get let off once however in hte G and the cops saw marijuana crumbs on the floor and asked if I was smoking in the car. I said no and began emptying my glove department and arm rest area to show that there was no pot in the car. After emptying some condoms on the passenger seat the cops laughed and said be safe....

Old 04-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain

i only get pulled over at the end of the month. im in houston as well. when i had a 96 buick roadmaster, i got pulled over all the time... (even when i wasnt speeding... damn racial profiling)

Old 04-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You guys who claim get targeted by cops are living in your own fantasy world. Cops have better things to then target your car. I'd be looking out for an old beater that doesn't have insurance than a $35k car that I know has insurance because they can afford it. Have you ever thought to yourself maybe the reason why you're getting a ticket is because you did a moving violation? You guys just need to stop getting black and white fever.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
No unnecessary cop attention for me. Only when I have done something wrong.
Originally Posted by omasica
I always have cops tailing me, and they will always switch lanes with me, i guess it is because I am 18 and they are a bit curious

By the way..........You guys need to stop putting your age on your cars.
That is not cool. Keep them G clean of stickers and on top of that Cops will not know how old you are.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the G a cop magnet?