The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Delay in acceleration, please help with Diagnosis!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delay in acceleration, please help with Diagnosis!

First of all, English is not my native language so please bear with my bad English.

Something is going on with my car but I couldn’t tell what is the problem. I know something is wrong because my car does not normally drive like this.

Ok, about 2 weeks ago, my car started having this “syndrome”. Typically, when you step on your gas paddle, the RPM meter and the Speedometer will increase at the same rate, right? So when you press harder on your gas, the engine will rev the car and this will be shown by the increase in RPM thus accelerating your car. Right?

However, recently, when I step on my gas, the RPM meter will increase by a noticeable amount and drop back down before the speedometer catches up with the change. For example, in 6th gear on an interstate, I am driving on a steady speed let’s say 70 mph, then I want to pass a car so as usual, assuming I do not shift my gear to the 5th, I would step on the gas paddle. The RPM will go from 2500 to 4000 and drop back down to 2600 and then only my speedometer goes up to 75mph. (this happen in all gear except it will be more obvious in the 6th gear because the huge increase in RPM.)

This creates a big problem when I am in cruise and my car is going uphill. Cruise control will be canceled itself if the RPM suddenly increase and exceed the upper limit of the range for a cruise control. For example, when going uphill the cruise control will increase the gas injected to the engine in order to stay on the same speed. Thus, the cruise control increases the gas injection to the engine, the RPM jump up, and when this happen, the cruise control sensed that the RPM is higher than the tolerated range and thus canceling my cruised speed. I have to reset it.

IMHO I think there is something wrong with my clutch or transmission box or the fuel injection control because, there is a delay between the acceleration and the time I step on my gas paddle. This incident occurred in my old car. I need to step on my gas paddle real hard for like 3 second before the car actually catch up and accelerate.

This “syndrome” is happening now and still going on and distracting my everyday drive. I am going to send my car to the dealership. I will try my best to explain this to the mechanic but do you guys have any idea what is going wrong? Anyone experiences a similar problem?

Sooiseng

Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like your clutch is gone... and now it's slipping. how many miles do u have? have u been driving the clutch hard?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 AM
G35driver Addict
you are either in the wrong gear to accelerate or your clutch is slipping. this is your first MT correct? how many miles on your clutch?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I brought the car 3 months ago, so I assume the previous onwer does not do anything with the clutch and the clutch come with the car.

I have 27000 mile on my car.

Define driving hard!? Does driving hard mean driving on the interstate for 5hours or driving hard me step hard on the gas to accelerate the car all the time?

I did quite some travelling since i brought my car. I added 7000 miles in 3 months. Is that driving hard?

I do not normally do racing, so I dun REV my engine like a crazy driver. Just normally driving. I maintain a speed of 80 or faster in a 70mph interstate.

Is that bad?

Sooiseng

Old 06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Well, my 1st car is a MT, but it was like 3 years ago, so i havent been driving MT for sometime. I admit it takes me sometime to get used to the powerful 3.5v G35 MT. I am loving my ride!!!! I am devastated! =(

Thanks for the help!!!

Sooiseng

Old 06-04-2007, 09:01 AM
the previous owner probably drove the clutch to death. i roughly have the same mileage on my car and no problems with clutch wear. u most definitely have a slipping clutch. it will have to be replaced at the dealer. i would take care of this sooner than later.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Slipping clutch. You'll need to replace it. Sounds like the owner before you burned it up....

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM
The delay in acceleration could very well be a dirty throttle body as well, although youre mileage is very low for it.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Metalp3n
The delay in acceleration could very well be a dirty throttle body as well, although youre mileage is very low for it.

What cause the dirt in throttle body?

Sooiseng

Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Metalp3n
I doubt it in this case. He describes RPM's going up, before they drop and the car starts accelerating. Classic symptom of a slipping clutch. I can see it being dirty throttle body if the RPM's don't go up and it's a turbo-lag type of feel...

Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Does warranty includes Clutch?

How much do you guys think it will cost me to fix the clutch.

I suspect there is something wrong with my clucth because my clutch is sticking last time (about 1 month ago) so i send it to the dealership. They fix the problem and they say my clutch is fine. I hope its not the clutch.

Sooiseng

Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM
clutch is wear and tear... u'll have to pay for it.

i'm thinking 4-500$ for the labor and then around 500$ for the clutch. aftermarket clutch will probably be cheaper than the dealer's.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Definitly the clutch, check out Z1 motor sports for their clutch. You might as well change out the flywheel while you are in there too. I think parts are around $700's plus labor which is around anywhere from 400-750 if you went to the stealership.

GO NOW AND GET IT CHANGED! YOU WILL BE LEFT ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WHEN THIS THING GOES!!!!! TRUST ME, IT HAPPENED TO ME IN MY 04'.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
As everyone said, it's your clutch. The Throttle body would not result in RPMs going up and speed staying the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Delay in acceleration, please help with Diagnosis!