The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Getting Smogged with illegal parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2007 | 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Don't know the year on your G, but nothing to worry about untill 2009 if yours a 2003. Biannual tests start at 6yrs from new.

Spacer I say your prob okay, but idk. Make sure plenum cover on so less noticable.

Air Intake has to be CARB approved and you better be sporting the sticker if it is, otherwise tech will fail you on visual without sticker.

UR pulley set...hmmm...not sure, but I would think okay. Pulleys don't affect the combustion emmissions directly.
Guess that one would depend on how **** the tech is on visual inspection, though pullies have nothing to do with the air/fuel/exhaust/emmission portion of the engine I'd think.

Utec...prob illegal, but hard to see visually. Depends on how it's tuned and what comes out of the tailpipe emmission wise. Those come with CARB stickers?

True dual...not illegal. All catback exhaust are legal emmission wise. Decibal wise is a different issue.

Turbo...no way unless it's CARB approved.

Pay the tech off as someone else said... ...those days are gone! Techs if caught, lose their certification permanently and never can get one again. It's not worth it to the tech to lose their career. Inspectors are out there all the time looking for techs who will look the other way for $$. Only way around that is if you know the tech personally, but even then it's his/hers a$$ and career on the line, not yours. Inspector could be the next guy waiting and watching your buddy slip yours through. I know a couple of techs that happened too. Need I say more...they have a different career now.
Those days are not over...this thread is dead

Old 07-08-2007 | 07:46 PM
true that, those days are far from over if you have anywhere from 3-600 to blow on getting your smog passed. Noone with a G should even have to smog for quite a while. It would cheaper to just take out the spacer and intake then to pay off a tech.
Originally Posted by in2win
Those days are not over...this thread is dead

Old 07-08-2007 | 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
As I understand it, with regard to here in California, an aftermarket exhaust system is illegal only if it emits sound above the 95db range.

Old 07-19-2007 | 02:17 PM
I have a 1991 nissan sentra with a turbo jdm motor i paid 200 bucks and it past. did even need to take the car to the shop just gave him the paper work 3 days later done

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.