The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

E-85... will it run in our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:14 PM
i asked this questioin on a thread a while back...i think its cheaper but then its less mileage or something... so it equals out in the end or something

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Yes, i remember, but 100-105 octane racing fuels cost about 7 dollars a gallon based on where you get it. You can buy e-85 for half of that and be able to turn up the boost just as much. Most NA cars also do not run better because of the higher octane...high compression cars have to run higher octane to prevent engine knock.

But yes i do remember going over it, but i think what the OP was trying to say is that it is capable of running over 100 octane for about 1/3 of the price.

Most people do not daily drive on 105 octane it is only used at race tracks (hence race fuel). So for 1/3 of the price i could put 10 dollars worth of e-85 in my car rather than having to put 30 dollars in and use the same amount for just the track. (thats if my car was capable of running it)

-Sean
But the racing fuel will put out more power at the same boost level as the e85, so the extra price of the racing fuel at the track is a drop in the pond compared to the rest of the money spent on the FI setup. IMO, someone who tried to save money at the track by using e85 instead of racing fuel is not a very smart person. The OP also never mentioned any FI setups, so I can only assume he is talking about mildly modified NA setups.

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
But the racing fuel will put out more power at the same boost level as the e85, so the extra price of the racing fuel at the track is a drop in the pond compared to the rest of the money spent on the FI setup. IMO, someone who tried to save money at the track by using e85 instead of racing fuel is not a very smart person. The OP also never mentioned any FI setups, so I can only assume he is talking about mildly modified NA setups.
We are just talking about being able to run the e-85 vs 105 octance as a whole. Not talking about the price to instal parts and modify the engine to be able to run e-85.

A never said the OP was talking about FI set ups. Just the fact that he could run e-85 compred to 105 for a 3rd of the price for whatever time period he was looking for. Example if he wanted to run 2 times at the 1/4 mile he would only need one gallon of e-85 vs on gallon of 105 and he would have utilized all the e-85 vs having 105 octane left over.

Not trying to argue, i know your right, just throwing out some oportunity cost

-Sean

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:32 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Nismo. Running 105 octane E-85 is not the same as running 105 octane racing gas. You can't substitute the two and expect to get the same performance. BTU ratings are diff.

So your comparison isn't really logical

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
We are just talking about being able to run the e-85 vs 105 octance as a whole. Not talking about the price to instal parts and modify the engine to be able to run e-85.

A never said the OP was talking about FI set ups. Just the fact that he could run e-85 compred to 105 for a 3rd of the price for whatever time period he was looking for. Example if he wanted to run 2 times at the 1/4 mile he would only need one gallon of e-85 vs on gallon of 105 and he would have utilized all the e-85 vs having 105 octane left over.

Not trying to argue, i know your right, just throwing out some oportunity cost

-Sean
wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the lower cost of the e85 if he has to use more of it?
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nismo. Running 105 octane E-85 is not the same as running 105 octane racing gas. You can't substitute the two and expect to get the same performance. BTU ratings are diff.

So your comparison isn't really logical
Exactly

Old 09-13-2007 | 12:49 AM
You do realize that you have to build the motor to accomodate the higher octane right?

But go ahead and keep thinking just putting in E85 will increase your proformance.

Wrong!!! You dont have to build the motor @ all. You just need to tune and run larger injectors. I know guys that are still running stock motors in their DSM's , but all the cars are tuned for either a mix of E85 or straight E85. The mix seems to work better than straight E85 and some are getting 27psi of boost out of it.

Bottom end has nothing to do with it. E85 just does not get along with certain rubbers and seals in our cars and that would need to be changed.

Actually you can run a small mix of E85 in our cars without any il effects. Or you can just add a bit of acetone.

Old 09-13-2007 | 01:02 AM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Dude is talking about his na car. Please tell me how to one is going to get more performance when you need more compression to take advantage of it.

Aren't you smart enough to realize that increasing the boost on turbo cars is essentially running a higher compression ratio?

Bottom end. Sure that does't have anything to do with E85 compatibility. But it has alot to do with upping the compression to take advantage of the E85's octane.

Don't people think at all on this forum?

Originally Posted by nr2134
Wrong!!! You dont have to build the motor @ all. You just need to tune and run larger injectors. I know guys that are still running stock motors in their DSM's , but all the cars are tuned for either a mix of E85 or straight E85. The mix seems to work better than straight E85 and some are getting 27psi of boost out of it.

Bottom end has nothing to do with it. E85 just does not get along with certain rubbers and seals in our cars and that would need to be changed.

Actually you can run a small mix of E85 in our cars without any il effects. Or you can just add a bit of acetone.

Old 09-13-2007 | 01:12 AM
Actually you can run a small mix of E85 in our cars without any il effects
Its called E10 Alot of gas stations do this already without telling you, most states allow up to a 10% ethanol blend in gasoline

Old 09-13-2007 | 03:48 AM
The whole thing with ethanol blended fuels is not to "save the world." It was meant as a alternative to fossil fuels. Your car will fully benefit from the ethanol gas if it's equipped with a flex fuel system. I know Chevrolet and Ford are incorporating this into their new cars. Ethanol is also used in some fuel system cleaners. It will break down sediment in the fuel lines and gas tanks, then get caught in the fuel pump, filter, or the injectors.

Old 09-13-2007 | 10:42 AM
Aren't you smart enough to realize that increasing the boost on turbo cars is essentially running a higher compression ratio?
Boost forces more air in, higher compression simply squeezes the existing air/fuel mixture more.

By forcing more air in, more fuel can be burned and more HP produced. Higher compression gets a bit more HP from the existing fuel.

Old 09-13-2007 | 11:18 AM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
You are correct on statements. But upping the boost is essentially raising the compression ratio. They both "squeeze" the air/fuel charge.

Originally Posted by Dan in St Louis
Boost forces more air in, higher compression simply squeezes the existing air/fuel mixture more.

By forcing more air in, more fuel can be burned and more HP produced. Higher compression gets a bit more HP from the existing fuel.

Old 09-13-2007 | 11:51 AM
But upping the boost is essentially raising the compression ratio.
Only boost can add significantly more air, and more air is the only way to burn more fuel. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharging.

Old 09-13-2007 | 12:01 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Boost is compressing the intake charge similar to what increasing the compression ratio does..

it's semantics. You say add air. I say ups the compression. Both are right. You: It does add air. Me. you add more air into the same small area = higher combustion chamber pressures.

Old 09-13-2007 | 01:38 PM
Dude is talking about his na car. Please tell me how to one is going to get more performance when you need more compression to take advantage of it.

Bottom end. Sure that does't have anything to do with E85 compatibility. But it has alot to do with upping the compression to take advantage of the E85's octane.

Don't people think at all on this forum?
I was not talking about performance. I was talking about being able to run E85 in our cars and actually if he tuned the car he would be able to get couple ponies out of it. Is it worth it??? I guess thats up to the owner of the car. I would not do it unless I was boosted.

BTW you dont need more compression to make more power with E85(or any higher octane fuel)......its called timing numb nuts, but you already knew that since you are the only smart one here. How much will you be able to get out of it on the VQ I dont know.

You should know that our cars do run a bit on the lean side....and higher octane might actually help things a bit. Is it worth it with E85??? Not IMO.

"Don't people think at all on this forum?"

"You do realize that you have to build the motor to accomodate the higher octane right?"

Apparently not because last time I checked I can run C16 just fine in my stock motor.

Old 09-13-2007 | 01:47 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Timing will help a bit. But you will need a piggy back to advance it any meaningful amount. So you DO need to run higher compression to take advantage of E85 in any meaningful amount. You can take your miniscule amount and pat yourself on the back if you wish.

If you are referring to timing as it's mentioned in the articles. I'll assume the car is timed to run E85 and has the higher compression already built in. hen the maps are scaled BACK to run normal gas to avoid ping.

And C16 isn't the same as E85. But you knew that right numnutz?

But wait! I just found some information on C16 race fuels! How about dem apples bro! yes, at this point I am poking the stick at ya. Don't take it personal

Race fuel, C14, C16 etc These are the same as pump fuel but much higher Octane. Used in a car that does not need this extra octane it is simply a waste of money. To see more power you need to take advantage of the new higher detonation limit! By increasing boost, or by increasing compression ratio.

I was not talking about performance. I was talking about being able to run E85 in our cars and actually if he tuned the car he would be able to get couple ponies out of it. Is it worth it??? I guess thats up to the owner of the car. I would not do it unless I was boosted.

BTW you dont need more compression to make more power with E85(or any higher octane fuel)......its called timing numb nuts, but you already knew that since you are the only smart one here. How much will you be able to get out of it on the VQ I dont know.

You should know that our cars do run a bit on the lean side....and higher octane might actually help things a bit. Is it worth it with E85??? Not IMO.

"Don't people think at all on this forum?"

"You do realize that you have to build the motor to accomodate the higher octane right?"

Apparently not because last time I checked I can run C16 just fine in my stock motor.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 09-13-2007 at 01:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E-85... will it run in our cars?